PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying your music from another place

pski
2010-11-27, 22:08
I finally got motivated and I hope I've made this place useful:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Enjoying_your_music_from_another_place

If your religion insists on ssh, don't bother to flame. The approach here works and is reasonably secure.

P

Goodsounds
2010-11-28, 00:06
Nice of you spend the time to describe these instructions, though something tells me that the people who are inclined to do this may not need the help.

I have a consistently functioning system of SB devices, but I'm decidedly non-technical. Any explanation that goes much beyond 3 lines loses my interest. If I want to listen to music elsewhere, I grab a smartphone, an Ipod or a USB drive.

Mnyb
2010-11-28, 01:07
It helps having a router with for example Tomato software, the router interface can be accessed from the outside, I usually apply my portforwarding rules for a while then disable them afterwards. Also the server can be WOL from the router and I can turn it off afterwards.

Spend to much time in boring hotels ( a lot of books helps too, not only music) Sometimes there is not much to or the weather is bad. 14 days in Kiruna in February -32C(-25.6F) You don't go for a walk a very long time maybe 30min then you sort of numb

My mp3/flac player is an old thing that cant take that much files but it is solid state no moving parts, use at the gym sometimes. My netbook has limited space.

In the end I sometimes finds that I want to listen to something else then this is good :)

But you don't do this for a weekend trip, more a kind of semi permanent hookup to your office or summerhouse or similar.

Good improvement of the wiki !

Hmm I thinking of hooking my old folks place to my server but thier isp might change ip to often (my isp has done it once in a year no big problem there)

pski
2010-11-28, 16:41
Nice of you spend the time to describe these instructions, though something tells me that the people who are inclined to do this may not need the help.

I have a consistently functioning system of SB devices, but I'm decidedly non-technical. Any explanation that goes much beyond 3 lines loses my interest. If I want to listen to music elsewhere, I grab a smartphone, an Ipod or a USB drive.

I've tried to make a "what music should I take with me?" decision but I've never had anything but cassettes/CD's and I tended to make full albums.

Digital players have made different habits is younger people. They are song oriented.

My phone has plenty of storage for music and the interface is simple (even supporting transcoding/down-sampling) but I still completely enjoy having thousands of CD's available wherever I go. I never really "got" iPods but having everything available from almost everywhere has really re-invigorated my music listening since I started Squeezing. I don't need the visual cues I used to get by browsing albums/cds by looking at their spines to decide what to listen to. I just say to myself "I want THIS now" and it happens.

I agree that technical folks will figure it out but I also think that Logitech is missing the boat by NOT stressing the everywhere capabilities. This may be because they could never hope to justify supporting "music anywhere" over the phone. Anyway, from my Linux experience, I thought an attempt at an authoritative "how-to" would be helpful.

P

pski
2010-11-28, 16:51
It helps having a router with for example Tomato software, the router interface can be accessed from the outside, I usually apply my portforwarding rules for a while then disable them afterwards. Also the server can be WOL from the router and I can turn it off afterwards.

Spend to much time in boring hotels ( a lot of books helps too, not only music) Sometimes there is not much to or the weather is bad. 14 days in Kiruna in February -32C(-25.6F) You don't go for a walk a very long time maybe 30min then you sort of numb

My mp3/flac player is an old thing that cant take that much files but it is solid state no moving parts, use at the gym sometimes. My netbook has limited space.

In the end I sometimes finds that I want to listen to something else then this is good :)

But you don't do this for a weekend trip, more a kind of semi permanent hookup to your office or summerhouse or similar.

Good improvement of the wiki !

Hmm I thinking of hooking my old folks place to my server but thier isp might change ip to often (my isp has done it once in a year no big problem there)

Way Back When I had dynamic, I wrote a Java script that queried the modem's settings page and sent me an email whenever the IP changed. Just add cron or winders skedler.

I wikipediaed the Tomato firmware and agree facing the data closest to the "real" world is a good idea but does this stuff run on DSL modems? If not, what does it run on that replace a DSL modem?

P

P

Mnyb
2010-11-28, 17:25
I have old an trusted Linksys WRT54GL for a router, not a DSL modem.
Having a real network conection these days

You can configure Dynamic DNS on it too, ?

More technically inclined people probably use dd-wrt or similar in their router.
There is a couple of routers where you can replace the stock firmware with something more fun, where you can for example increase the wifi output.
But the outside access to it's configuration and wol over internet is not in Linksys stock fw.

Yep the fun part is not deciding what music to bring but to connect to all your music :)

Wonder how many years now untill constant internet access in you car is an reality :) then this can becomme even more usefull.
Edit: I mean real internet not the flimsy unreliable 3G hmm 4G is launched but all this in the cities and expensive.
Ubiquitous free wifi everywhere would be an infrastructure worth building the phone companies do charge to much for internet .

pski
2010-11-29, 08:55
I have old an trusted Linksys WRT54GL for a router, not a DSL modem.
Having a real network conection these days

You can configure Dynamic DNS on it too, ?

More technically inclined people probably use dd-wrt or similar in their router.
There is a couple of routers where you can replace the stock firmware with something more fun, where you can for example increase the wifi output.
But the outside access to it's configuration and wol over internet is not in Linksys stock fw.

Yep the fun part is not deciding what music to bring but to connect to all your music :)

Wonder how many years now untill constant internet access in you car is an reality :) then this can becomme even more usefull.
Edit: I mean real internet not the flimsy unreliable 3G hmm 4G is launched but all this in the cities and expensive.
Ubiquitous free wifi everywhere would be an infrastructure worth building the phone companies do charge to much for internet .

I have a few WRT's but they are all too new.

I agree about wifi everywhere: It may be google's chance to make a killing in the hardware business if they produce a (partly subsidized) white-space router.

P