PDA

View Full Version : Customizing menus - questions

cjfreitag
2010-11-20, 13:46
I'm trying to figure out two things:

First, how can I omit a genre from displaying when I use the album view? I'd rather not see my holiday music when flipping through albums (unless it is actually the holiday season). Is there a way I can accomplish this?

Second, I'd like to build a separate composer menu for my classical albums. I feel sure I can do this using Custom Browse (which I have enabled), but even after reading through the wiki I have to admit I don't have the foggiest idea how to do it. I have been able to create a Composer menu, but it shows ALL composers and all are listed by first name or initial. I want "Schubert, Franz" not "Franz Schubert."

Any suggestions appreciated.

cjfreitag
2010-11-22, 09:37
Any help or suggestions appreciated.

aubuti
2010-11-22, 09:42
There's no way to omit holiday albums from album browse with the basic SBS features. You can probably do it with Custom Browse, but I have even less Custom Browse knowledge/experience than you.

aubuti
2010-11-22, 09:46
Maybe I should have mentioned one non-SBS option for hiding your holiday albums. It's a kludge, but it should work. Move your holiday albums out of your main music library folder tree to somewhere else on your hard drive. Then clear-and-rescan with SBS and they're gone. Then put a shortcut or symbolic link from your main music folder to wherever you've hidden the holiday tracks. Clear-and-rescan again and they should re-appear. You can then "toggle" whether or not the holiday albums show up by inserting/deleting (or naming/renaming) the shortcut or symlink. Like I said, it's a kludge.

cjfreitag
2010-11-22, 11:10
Thanks for that suggestion. It is a bit of a kludge, as you say, but really I only have to deal with it once a year. For that matter, I can simply put all of my holiday albums in a folder called "Holiday" and move the folder in and out of my Music folder.

This still leaves me with a broader set of questions about Custom Browse, but at least it knocks the most immediate problem off my list.