PDA

View Full Version : After updating Touch firmware - better 24/96?!

nicoleif
2010-11-18, 15:19
After powering up the Touch it asked to update the firmware. I did the update and afterwards testet 24bit/96Hz files. This proceeded better than before. No longer buffering when changing from one album to another. Has anyone else noticed this?

aubuti
2010-11-18, 15:27
From which old firmware to which new firmware?

Mnyb
2010-11-18, 16:46
This was improved, but the did this quickly after the release.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15361

And can be further improved in 7.6 but not because they worked on that particular issue, but because 7.6 is faster and more efficient.

Are you comming from 7.5.0 ?

nicoleif
2010-11-18, 22:54
The new firmware is called 7.5.1 r9218. The old was also 7.5.1 but maybe a different r-number?!

toby10
2010-11-19, 04:06
I think r9218 was just the Rhapsody fix.

andyg
2010-11-19, 05:53
9218 won't improve anything over 9009 other than Rhapsody. It's all in your head. :)

aubuti
2010-11-19, 06:20
It's all in your head. :)
...not that there's anything wrong with that... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ild8w0rHQU)

TerryS
2010-11-19, 11:45
I tried mine last night after the latest upgrade. It still works about the same for me. Occasional re-buffering at the start of playing a 24/96k FLAC album. After the re-buffer at the start of the first song, the remainder of the album plays fine.

Terry

magiccarpetride
2010-11-19, 12:07
I tried mine last night after the latest upgrade. It still works about the same for me. Occasional re-buffering at the start of playing a 24/96k FLAC album. After the re-buffer at the start of the first song, the remainder of the album plays fine.

Terry

I'm noticing the same symptoms (but not always, mind you). Is that due to me streaming the high definition data wirelessly? Will connecting the Touch via ethernet cable eliminate the initial rebuffering?

andyg
2010-11-19, 12:12
Ethernet is always the first thing to try in situations like this, it can never hurt to try.

Initial buffering of 24/96 content involves a lot of stuff going on: downloading audio data as fast as possible, and at the same time decoding it as fast as possible. After the track gets going things slow down and it can transfer/decode at a more reasonable pace.

nicoleif
2010-11-19, 12:51
9218 won't improve anything over 9009 other than Rhapsody. It's all in your head. :)
It might be in my head but it is also in my ears and eyes. The change in reduced buffering is noticable!

aubuti
2010-11-19, 13:21
It might be in my head but it is also in my ears and eyes. The change in reduced buffering is noticable!
I've noticed the weather has been colder since the update. Anyone else? ;o)

If you're noticing less rebuffering, then I suspect either (a) you upgraded from a version older than r9009 and/or (b) there were other changes to your environment that produced the difference. Maybe less competing network traffic on your more recent tests?

magiccarpetride
2010-11-19, 13:59
Ethernet is always the first thing to try in situations like this, it can never hurt to try.

Initial buffering of 24/96 content involves a lot of stuff going on: downloading audio data as fast as possible, and at the same time decoding it as fast as possible. After the track gets going things slow down and it can transfer/decode at a more reasonable pace.

I've disabled FLAC on the mysqueezebox and am forcing it to convert to PCM before streaming it to the Touch. The Touch should now not be doing any decoding, right? Still, it hiccups at the start, and I'm thinking it's due to the fact that PCM consists of more data than FLAC?

TerryS
2010-11-22, 09:13
I'm noticing the same symptoms (but not always, mind you). Is that due to me streaming the high definition data wirelessly? Will connecting the Touch via ethernet cable eliminate the initial rebuffering?

Going to a wired network will probalably almost totally eliminate the re-buffering based on my limited experiments. Like yours, mine only does it sometimes, so experiments are kind of tedious. You have to sit there and try starting 24/96 albums for quite a while to get a feel for how much re-buffereing the new experiment causes. But when I tried a wired ethernet connection, I only got 1 re-buffer, and that was the very first attempt, so it may have just been waking up the NAS or something. After that first re-buffer, I couldn't get it to happen again. Also, it looks like minor changes to the position of the wireless router make a big difference, although again, it is hard to be sure. Sometimes the problem just seems to "go away" for a couple of days, only to re-appear for no discernable reason. I've got an 802.11n wireless connection between the Touch and the router (with "excellent" connection strength)and a wired connection from the router to my NAS. I get "occasional" re-buffering at the very beginning of a high-res album. After that, the remainder of the albums plays fine.

Terry