PDA

View Full Version : Any advice about devices and apps in the UK

linvale
2010-11-18, 08:43
I am thinking about getting my parents a touch or duo as a christmas gift but they live in the UK and I am in New Jersey:

Could anyone tell me if I need to buy online (amazon uk or logitech) or whether any of the local stores carry in stock uk versions of squeezebox players.

In addition I would want to set them up with the equivalents of Pandora and Napster - what should I choose for them?

Thanks to anyone local that can help

paulster
2010-11-19, 00:08
Try Richer Sounds. I bought some from then a few weeks ago to add another few zones.

david_f1976
2010-11-19, 01:28
Napster is available in the UK. Costs 5 per month for the unlimited streaming + 5 MP3 downloads per month.

hunta
2010-11-19, 09:27
You might also want to investigate Last.FM, plus I'm sure they'll want easy access to BBC etc. so don't forget to configure favourites to those! (SqueezeNetwork or otherwise)

jimwillsher
2010-11-19, 15:12
Local stores do carry these, though they are still a bit niche-market. I've got three SB3 and a Boom and I bought them all online, but I have seen them in the shops in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Online is probably cheaper though. try www.dabs.com or www.misco.co.uk, and also advancedmp3players.com (based outside Edinburgh).

Jim

linvale
2010-11-20, 04:16
Thanks all - glad to hear I have options. I still see that the 1 USD = 1 UKP coversion is an ongoing scam .... maybe its just predicting the eventual fate of the dollar!

toby10
2010-11-20, 05:26
Thanks all - glad to hear I have options. I still see that the 1 USD = 1 UKP coversion is an ongoing scam .... maybe its just predicting the eventual fate of the dollar!

I'd be much more worried about the fate of the British Pound and the Euro in the next six months than the US Dollar. ;)
Fasten your financial seat belts, it's going to be a very bumpy ride.

adamslim
2010-11-21, 13:51
Yeah and Spotify knocks all other internet streaming into a cocked hat. Has it launched in the US yet?