PDA

View Full Version : 9000+ songs and 6000+ albums!

oiler1fan
2010-11-17, 08:58
Situation - just recovered my music after a hardware failure. Was running XP SP3 and migrated to a new machine with Win7 64. I'm using iTunes as the libray and have wav, mp4 and aac files, but only run the wav files on the Squeezebox. All the files and folders recovered correctly and iTunes 10 is configured and running as it should.

Problem - the squeezebox (version 2) sees most of the songs as individual albums and numerous attempts to clear the cache/preferences and rescan have made no difference. If there was a problem with the wav file data it would not file correctly in iTunes - so I don't understand where the problem is. I'm about ready to recycle the Squeezebox and save further frustration......

garym
2010-11-17, 09:02
Situation - just recovered my music after a hardware failure. Was running XP SP3 and migrated to a new machine with Win7 64. I'm using iTunes as the libray and have wav, mp4 and aac files, but only run the wav files on the Squeezebox. All the files and folders recovered correctly and iTunes 10 is configured and running as it should.

Problem - the squeezebox (version 2) sees most of the songs as individual albums and numerous attempts to clear the cache/preferences and rescan have made no difference. If there was a problem with the wav file data it would not file correctly in iTunes - so I don't understand where the problem is. I'm about ready to recycle the Squeezebox and save further frustration......

remember, WAV files don't have any standard tag formats. Just because itunes sees the wav tags doesn't mean that SbS sees the wav tags. But it sounds like this all= worked before, so not sure why it should be different. are you using itunes integration (now and before)?

oiler1fan
2010-11-17, 10:59
iTunes integration? Please explain what you mean

andynormancx
2010-11-17, 11:06
Squeezebox Server normally reads the details of what music is available directly from the music files themselves. It also has an extra optional feature where it will read the track details from iTunes instead.

Maybe before you had iTunes integration enabled and now you don't or vice-versa.

oiler1fan
2010-11-17, 11:10
If you can tell me where that option is within SbS I can tell you what the setting is.

andynormancx
2010-11-17, 11:13
Within the web UI the iTunes tab on the settings page.

If you don't have an iTunes tab then you need to enable the iTunes plugin within the plugins page on the settings page.

N.B. I'm not saying this is the cause, just that it is one possible difference in your setup now compared to before

oiler1fan
2010-11-17, 11:15
That was enabled before and is now, so no change there.

andynormancx
2010-11-17, 11:24
So you didn't know what iTunes integration was when we mentioned it or where to enable it, but you're 100% sure that it was enabled before ?

Have you taken a look at the main SBS log file and scanner log file to see if there is anything interesting in there ?

oiler1fan
2010-11-17, 11:54
I didn't know what you meant by "integration", but did know what my settings were before and after, and have always used iTunes. What should I be looking for in the log and scanner files?

garym
2010-11-17, 11:58
I didn't know what you meant by "integration", but did know what my settings were before and after, and have always used iTunes. What should I be looking for in the log and scanner files?

just something odd regarding songs as they are scanned. Also, within SbS (webUI) drill down to the tag level of a track that is not showing album correctly and see what SbS shows as the ALBUM tag. I suspect it is blank or the same name as the track?????

iPhone
2010-11-17, 21:11
Are the Drives Letters the same as the old XP Machine?

Have you created the path to where ALL the music is and/or shortcuts to direct SBS where to look?

This sounds like an iTunes integration, Wav Tags, or improper SBS setting issue.

Remember it worked before Win 7, so how in the world could it be the Player? It can't. It has to be operator error of Path, Tag, or SBS settings, or a major difference in the new PC (different drive letters, bad SBS download, bad SBS install, etc) versus the old XP Box.

oiler1fan
2010-11-17, 21:36
When I look in the SbS web UI none of the wav files have any tags. This does not answer why some of my albums are shown correctly but most are not. I can see no visible difference between them. Yes the drive is the same as before but the path is slightly different due to Win7.

Mnyb
2010-11-17, 22:26
Wav files ?

1. convert thoose to flac and tag them

If not

2. Check sbs settings for "guess tag format" settings > advanced > formatting

For this to work the wav files should be in one folder per album folder and file names must make sense

"
For files that do not have reasonable tags, you can have Squeezebox Server guess at tags using the path and filename. Using the same variables as Title Format, you can create a pattern to match your file naming conventions so that the application can make a good guess at what the tags should be. Priority goes in the order listed below. The first valid pattern match is used.

"

for example

/ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKNUM TITLE

This might be confusing but as wav files tag support is very rare .

I think for example wmp and iTunes keep thier own database of these files if your rip with those aplications but the files don't get tagged.

If you ever used iTunes integration before maybe it is something wrong here ?

If you use iTunes is it equally confused over the files now ?

Phil Leigh
2010-11-17, 23:45
Are you scanning any playlists?
If so, have you repaired the playlists so that the path is correct inside the playlist files?

bobkoure
2010-11-18, 07:24
Yes the drive is the same as before but the path is slightly different due to Win7.
It might be helpful if you mentioned before and after.

I don't use iTunes, but that sounds like an issue.

BTW, what's the advantage to iTunes if you've got WAV files and aren't using iTunes otherwise? Tags? Art?

MrSinatra
2010-11-18, 09:53
i don't know why anyone uses wav instead of FLAC. look into FLAC, if only for the tagging ability.

having said that, do your wavs have a standard filename construction? have you tried using "guess tag format" in SBS settings?

do you put your files in one album per folder?

oiler1fan
2010-11-18, 12:20
Thanks for your responses but I'm now lost on this thread. I just want to play my music not discuss why I have wav and not flac and invest hours in tagging files with some utility I have no idea how to use and no guarantee of success.

I use wav because thats the native format of the CD. I rip it to AAC for the family to use on their iPods and use the wav for listening over the SB2. iTunes worked well before my data migration and continues to work well now, nothing has changed.

garym
2010-11-18, 12:31
Thanks for your responses but I'm now lost on this thread. I just want to play my music not discuss why I have wav and not flac and invest hours in tagging files with some utility I have no idea how to use and no guarantee of success.

I use wav because thats the native format of the CD. I rip it to AAC for the family to use on their iPods and use the wav for listening over the SB2. iTunes worked well before my data migration and continues to work well now, nothing has changed.

I still believe that the change to a new computer (new paths, etc.) has caused itunes and SbS with itunes integration to "lose" the track information and thus SbS is not seeing the album names, even though integrated with itunes. Try this:

1. In itunes, delete all the songs from your library (but not from your harddrive) and then re-add all the songs back to Itunes. This will take a while, but not too much time. Note that you'll lose track statistics (last played, ratings, etc. if you use any of this stuff). This way, itunes (and its database) will have all the correct file locations, file information, etc.

2. Then in SbS do a complete clear and rescan.

p.s. WAV is not the original format of the music on a CD.

garym
2010-11-18, 12:36
I still believe that the change to a new computer (new paths, etc.) has caused itunes and SbS with itunes integration to "lose" the track information and thus SbS is not seeing the album names, even though integrated with itunes. Try this:

1. In itunes, delete all the songs from your library (but not from your harddrive) and then re-add all the songs back to Itunes. This will take a while, but not too much time. Note that you'll lose track statistics (last played, ratings, etc. if you use any of this stuff). This way, itunes (and its database) will have all the correct file locations, file information, etc.

2. Then in SbS do a complete clear and rescan.

p.s. WAV is not the original format of the music on a CD.

I also recall vaguely some older posts where the name of the itunes XML file had changed slightly with newer itunes versions and something had to be done to recognize the new name. For example see this post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=574948&postcount=3

Mnyb
2010-11-18, 16:18
WAV is not the original format of the CD it's PCM and in a format that can't reside on a PC (except as an iso image).

FLAC or Apple lossles or wma lossles is lossles alternatives 30%-50% smaller than WAV and can carrie metadata (album artist song etc, aka tags) in a well suported fashion.
And soundquality of a lossles format is identical to the CD , that was lossles is, no information lost, they can all be decoded to the same data they came from.

We are just nagging about the WAV files because their limited tag support is a very likely part of the problem you see now, even if it worked before, and similar issues might arise in the future too.

However flac is not supported by iTunes, but alac is (apple lossles) but on the other hand this will require transcoding by the server when played on squeezebox.

Nothing of this will impact sound-quality in any way .
It's all about whats practical regarding metadata etc, so that the files can used in a practical way.

The suggestion about iTunes is probably the right track .

Maybe iTunes "lost" it's data in the move to the new computer.
Maybe the iTunes plugin can't find the "xml file" .
I think a forum search can help regarding iTunes integration.

There is also good reasons to not use iTunes integration. To instead handle files files for the squeezebox separately and use AAC copies for iTunes and iPods. In Practice have 2 music libraries.
Then one can use what works best for the squeezebox and also use what works best with iTunes, without trying to find a middle ground that works so and so for both purposes, and nowdays disc space don't cost anything.

oiler1fan
2010-11-18, 21:37
With a 1TB hard drive, storage of wav files is not a problem - but if you all agree that flac is the way forward then;
1. what wav-flac file convertor are you using?
2. how do I add the tags?
3. how do I catalog the files without itunes integration?
4. do an need an IT degree to make this happen?

Mnyb
2010-11-18, 22:32
With a 1TB hard drive, storage of wav files is not a problem - but if you all agree that flac is the way forward then;
1. what wav-flac file convertor are you using?
2. how do I add the tags?
3. how do I catalog the files without itunes integration?
4. do an need an IT degree to make this happen?

As windows user you can't get better stuff then dBpower amp for 1 & 2 .
(or FLAC frontend and FLAC and EAC but thats a bit old school and work intensive, i did that when on windows)

And mp3tag wich is a very powerfull tool re 2. Or maybe tag&rename

These programs can also find tags and cover art for you very easy, in cases with very odd and special music you can with mp3tag actually do it manually for those albums and google a cover picture if you want.

You can get even more suggestions from others.

3 is done by squeeboxserver when scanning, or do you have other needs like playing the files with computer then some one else would maybe have an idea ?
I just use a good folder structure,it is a god beginning. First a music folder then folders for each artist then in that folder folders for the each albums where you have the files and a cover-art picture .

4. No but it is work, maybe it is less work to figure whats wrong with your iTunes integration ?

I'm not the best person to ask about iTunes integration and how to fault trace .

I know that you use iTunes integration or piont squeezeboxserver to your music folder in the settings not both.

If I got your first post right it looks normal in iTunes ? or does it ?

But a start is to check squeezeboxservers log files server.log and scanner.log

You can find where they are located in the info page in squeezeboxservers settings scroll to the bottom, here you also sneak peak into the log via the links.
But the see whole file explore to location and open it with wordpad or notepad .

You have also settings in squeezeboxserver setting > advanced >logging
To get even more log info .

do you have to log files you can zip them and post to the tread ?

As you have changed computers there is always a possibility that squeezboxserver scanning crashes in conflict with antivirus software for example, that's very common on windows.

Another advice backup your files before messing with them please :)
It's to easy to make misstakes.

And please do not hesitate to contact logitech support and tell them that "iTunes integration does not work" for a starter .

People here are sometimes very skilled but most are just like you friendly end users that happens to like this product and tries help other fellows .

I for example never had used iTunes, don't use Windows (other than at work)
I'm in weak spot to help you further, good luck anyway.

oiler1fan
2010-11-19, 02:24
In web control UI "Advanced - Guess Tags" I changed the format to /ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKNUM TITLE which matches my file structure - example C:\Users\Bruce\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Alanis Morissette\Jagged Little Pill\01 All I Really Want

This was partly successful. It reduced the album count from 6000+ to 1543 but some albums are still split into 2, 3 or more components. Again I have checked some of the problem albums and see no difference in any of paths, names or tags (none). I have attempted to attach the scanner log file for your expert eyes - I hope it worked.

Mnyb
2010-11-19, 02:42
In web control UI "Advanced - Guess Tags" I changed the format to /ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKNUM TITLE which matches my file structure - example C:\Users\Bruce\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Alanis Morissette\Jagged Little Pill\01 All I Really Want

This was partly successful. It reduced the album count from 6000+ to 1543 but some albums are still split into 2, 3 or more components. Again I have checked some of the problem albums and see no difference in any of paths, names or tags (none). I have attempted to attach the scanner log file for your expert eyes - I hope it worked.

Hmm I guess that's because sometimes iTunes tend to split compilation albums into multiple folders for no good reason ?
check this.

Does squeezebox gruop compilation album together helps any ? worth a try ?

garym
2010-11-19, 07:33
dbpoweramp can easily convert all your WAV files to FLAC. I believe there is a DSP (bad name, not changing audio, just a file manipulation) that can automatically add artist/album/track # and name from your file names/directory structure. If not, mp3tag can certainly do this.

Once you sorta get the lay of the land with these two programs, you could convert 50,000 files, and have tags 99% correct (assuming your file names/directory structure makes some sense) with a few mouse clicks and let it run for a day or two.

You can also do the conversion with foobar2000, but it has a bit more learning curve (not that much more).

oiler1fan
2010-11-19, 07:41
Hmm I guess that's because sometimes iTunes tend to split compilation albums into multiple folders for no good reason ?
check this.

Does squeezebox gruop compilation album together helps any ? worth a try ?

Forget compilation albums, that's another subject - and one I don't have any problems with. All the issues lay within standard albums - same album title, same artist name.

Mnyb
2010-11-19, 07:50
Forget compilation albums, that's another subject - and one I don't have any problems with. All the issues lay within standard albums - same album title, same artist name.

Ok apearently you are scanning your music files directly (having a music folder set in squeezeboxservers basic settings) have you then disabled the iTunes integration ?

oiler1fan
2010-11-19, 09:42
?? No I'm still integrated with iTunes. Did my log scan in a previous post reveal anything?

Mnyb
2010-11-19, 10:12
?? No I'm still integrated with iTunes. Did my log scan in a previous post reveal anything?

Sorry it's above my competence :-/

Was just emphasizing that you either choose to integrate with iTunes.

or

Point squeezeboxserver directly the directory where the files is by the "Music Folder" setting .

Not both at the same time this could count albums twice !

amcluesent
2010-11-20, 03:29
>Not both at the same time this could count albums twice !<

Yep, you need to be leaving Music Folder in Basic Settings blank and then using the Setting panel for the iTunes plug-in to enable use of iTunes. Probably best to leave blank Library.xml location.

Then do a full rescan in Squeezebox Server

oiler1fan
2010-11-24, 07:30
>Not both at the same time this could count albums twice !<

Yep, you need to be leaving Music Folder in Basic Settings blank and then using the Setting panel for the iTunes plug-in to enable use of iTunes. Probably best to leave blank Library.xml location.

Then do a full rescan in Squeezebox Server

That was the problem - thanks for catching the obvious which isn't so obvious when you've looked at everything a hundred times and it all starts to haze over. BTW Logitech Support was useless. I filed a trouble ticket and haven't heard from them yet....

aubuti
2010-11-24, 08:00
BTW Logitech Support was useless. I filed a trouble ticket and haven't heard from them yet....
Sometimes responses get caught in over-agressive spam filters. If you haven't already checked yours you should. Or maybe they really haven't replied.