PDA

View Full Version : iTunes questions

cjfreitag
2010-11-15, 17:57
I've got the SBS and Touch set up right now to use iTunes as that is how I purchase most of my music. However, I do not really want my iTunes playlists to show up on the Touch...I'd rather make separate playlists for that. My iTunes playlists are really set up for my iPhone.

So, here are my questions:
If I do use iTunes is it possible to ignore all iTunes playlists. If I create a separate folder for Touch playlists and put the path to that new folder on the setup screen, would that do it?

If I uncheck the "use iTunes" box on the setup screen but still use iTunes as my music folder, what happens? Presumably SBS scans any files in there and builds the database from that. What happens with album art...is the iTunes database of art ignored in that case?

If I don't want access to iTunes playlists on the Touch is there any drawback to NOT using iTunes?

I realize these are basic questions, so please bear with me!

garym
2010-11-16, 07:30
There is no drawback to not using itunes. In fact, in my experience it is always better to NOT integrate with Itunes. to answer your questions, yes, you can tell SbS that your playlists are in a different folder location and it will use that location. If you don't check the integrate with itunes, you can still point SbS to the same music folder location and SbS will scan/use these files. The only drawback is that the art won't show up unless embedded in the files. That is, the art in itunes database won't show up. But you can easily run a program (google embed itunes art) to automatically embed all the itunes art within each file (that's what I do).

I've got the SBS and Touch set up right now to use iTunes as that is how I purchase most of my music. However, I do not really want my iTunes playlists to show up on the Touch...I'd rather make separate playlists for that. My iTunes playlists are really set up for my iPhone.

So, here are my questions:
If I do use iTunes is it possible to ignore all iTunes playlists. If I create a separate folder for Touch playlists and put the path to that new folder on the setup screen, would that do it?

If I uncheck the "use iTunes" box on the setup screen but still use iTunes as my music folder, what happens? Presumably SBS scans any files in there and builds the database from that. What happens with album art...is the iTunes database of art ignored in that case?

If I don't want access to iTunes playlists on the Touch is there any drawback to NOT using iTunes?

I realize these are basic questions, so please bear with me!

cjfreitag
2010-11-16, 10:29
Thanks, this is very helpful. I've found a program called MPFreaker that automates the art embedding on the Mac, and I'm going to give it a try. If that works well then I am going to cut the iTunes cord!

cjfreitag
2010-11-16, 20:44
I went through my iTunes library with the program MPFreaker to check that art was embedded in the individual files and fixed the cases where it wasn't. Then I unchecked the "Use iTune box" and rewrote the path to my music folder.

Did a full rescan of the library...everything is copacetic!

I am a happy camper.