PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody Streaming, Multiple Devices and alternate providers

secabeen
2010-11-15, 10:22
Until recently, you could stream from Rhapsody on up to three hardware devices plus a computer all simultaneously, all playing different songs. However, it appears that Rhapsody has changed their plans, and now only allows one stream at a time from all sources (devices, computer, etc). Is anyone else seeing this behavior? According to Rhapsody, I'm still on the older Unlimited plan, but I'm only getting one stream now.

Are there other options for multi-device streaming? Napster offers streaming, but I can't tell from their site how many simultaneous streams they allow to hardware devices. Does anyone know? Is there an alternate Rhapsody plan that restores the previous behavior?

FredFredrickson
2010-11-16, 11:21
I'm still able to do different rhapsody streams on multiple squeezeboxes at once.. I've never been able to use the pc client at the same time for more than 5 minutes..

N8Byers
2010-12-16, 09:00
I just got off the phone with Rhapsody support. It appears they are now only supporting a single stream to devices/computers! I've had a Rhapsody to Go account for the last 2-3 years and they just cut my multiple streams off in the last month or so. PIA... they told me to open separate accounts for each device to stream simultaneously. My yearly cost would go from 160 to 360 to support this! It's completely outrageous. They should have at least offered an uprated plan to handle 2 streams before cutting everyone off.

ghostrider
2010-12-16, 10:01
Can't understand why you're having a problem. I had two players synced and playing the same stream all morning. I just unsynced them and they are now playing two different Rhapsody streams. They are both connected to mysb.com.

secabeen
2010-12-16, 10:06
I think they may be grandfathering users on the old Unlimited plan to 3 streams. About a week after my original post, something changed, and I've been able to multiple-stream since then. However, for new users, the plan is clearly one-stream only, and if you have the older plan, don't change or upgrade it.

N8Byers
2010-12-16, 19:45
I have the grandfathered Rhapsody-to-go plan! I started with the unlimited 2.5 years ago and upgraded to the to go about 2 years ago. I have been prepaying for the year since.

I can get simultaneous streams sometimes and then other times it will quit. I am seeing it more regularly quit now but it's hard to say. The Rhapsody support rep had me start a thread in the rhapsody forum. So if anyone else feels like multiple streams should be allowed, please post to this thread:

http://forum.rhapsody.com/rhapsody/topics/why_would_rhapsody_cut_off_multiple_streaming_and_ not_offer_an_alternative_plan

mortslim
2010-12-20, 10:51
Does any other provider give multiple separate streams for the same price?

My cable TV company (Time Warner) charges extra for each additional cable box.

I am very happy with Rhapsody, as for $10. per month, not only do I get everything mentioned in this thread, I also get access from my cellphone.

aubuti
2010-12-20, 11:05
Does any other provider give multiple separate streams for the same price?
I'll double-check when I get home, but I think Napster does, although the monthly price is $5 instead of Rhapsody's $10. However Napster has been having its own issues recently that appear to be related to insufficient serving capacity on their end at peak demand times (see various related threads).