PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: How to switch Net Radio from Touch to VBA SbS?

enz01
2010-11-14, 15:45
Hi Guys

Another Newbie taking his first steps into the Squeezebox world, I'm afraid!

I've just taken delivery of a Touch & have installed it (wired Ethernet) with no problems between my network and my HiFi (no separate SbS, yet). As part of the install, MySqueezebox.com config was easy and, consequently, I now have access to Internet Radio via the 'onboard' Radio Time connection and the Last.FM app on MySqueezebox.com.

My 2Tb Vortexbox Appliance server arrives next week and everything I've read suggests that it will be very easy to install it and make the Touch see it and play FLAC/mp3. But, I've also seen several suggestions that it's best to let the VBA handle the Internet radio, as well (which makes sense).

That being the case, how do I tell the Touch to use the VBA rather than its onboard Radio Time connection and the MySqueezbox Last.FM app? Does switching the library on the Touch to point to the VBA also repoint the Internet radio or do I need to do something else? Would it make sense to do a Factory Reset on the Touch and then reconfgure it when the VBA is on the network? Will this then auto-use the VBA for Internet radio or would I have to do something extra?

Apologies if these are basic questions but I couldn't find any relevant info via searching and it does get a bit confusing what with TinySbS on the Touch, Sbs on the VBA and MySqueezebox.com :-)

All thoughts gratefully received.

garym
2010-11-14, 15:57
That being the case, how do I tell the Touch to use the VBA rather than its onboard Radio Time connection and the MySqueezbox Last.FM app? Does switching the library on the Touch to point to the VBA also repoint the Internet radio or do I need to do something else?

Would it make sense to do a Factory Reset on the Touch and then reconfgure it when the VBA is on the network? Will this then auto-use the VBA for Internet radio or would I have to do something extra?

Your touch will see the VBA. Choose that as your music choice rather than mysqueezebox.com. Choosing music library should give you that choice. And once on VBA (SbS) you do not need to switch back to mysqueezebox.com. You can do everything from SbS running on the VBA. In setting up the VBA you'll give it your mysb.com credentials, and VBA will know automatically what apps you've added at mysb.com.

No, you do not need to do a factory reset. You'll see when you set up the VBA. It will be simple and clear (I think!).

rgro
2010-11-14, 18:15
Your touch will see the VBA. Choose that as your music choice rather than mysqueezebox.com. Choosing music library should give you that choice. And once on VBA (SbS) you do not need to switch back to mysqueezebox.com. You can do everything from SbS running on the VBA. In setting up the VBA you'll give it your mysb.com credentials, and VBA will know automatically what apps you've added at mysb.com.

No, you do not need to do a factory reset. You'll see when you set up the VBA. It will be simple and clear (I think!).

What he said! First, though, make sure the VBA is visible on your home network (it should be, but you want to check first, otherwise the rest will be academic), then find the "change libarary" button on the Touch and you'll see the vortexbox listed. Press the button and you're done. That is except if you're going to rip and tag your CD's on to the VBA. Speaking from very personal experience this past 3 days....it's a freakin' LOT of work!

enz01
2010-11-15, 14:39
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like it really could be as easy as I'm hoping it will be :-)

>That is except if you're going to rip and tag your CD's on to the VBA.
>Speaking from very personal experience this past 3 days....it's a freakin'
>LOT of work!

Tell me about it. Most of my collection is already in mp3 format (and well-tagged, to boot) but I think the time has come to re-rip it to FLAC before the CDs go into the loft. Oh well, at least the VBA 'drop in & go' rip and tag function should help somewhat.

Thanks, once again

rgro
2010-11-15, 14:57
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like it really could be as easy as I'm hoping it will be :-)

>That is except if you're going to rip and tag your CD's on to the VBA.
>Speaking from very personal experience this past 3 days....it's a freakin'
>LOT of work!

Tell me about it. Most of my collection is already in mp3 format (and well-tagged, to boot) but I think the time has come to re-rip it to FLAC before the CDs go into the loft. Oh well, at least the VBA 'drop in & go' rip and tag function should help somewhat.

Thanks, once again

Yeah, the one-at-a-time thing makes for long hours or a lot of running back and forth to insert new CD's. Ripping while watching sports on TV in the same room seems to be the proper ambience ;>). I shudder to think how much more time it would be without the nice auto-ripper that VBA has. If I'm not mistaken---at least from casual listening---I also believe that all the tracks ripped by the VBA are replay gain equalized (or whatever the correct term is) as I've not heard of those huge volume swings between different CD's that I've had before when ripping to mp3.

It's a bit odd (but really cool!) now to see our stereo gear with no CD's surrounding it.

enz01
2010-11-15, 15:31
Yeah, the one-at-a-time thing makes for long hours or a lot of running back and forth to insert new CD's. Ripping while watching sports on TV in the same room seems to be the proper ambience ;>).

Hhmm, the car doesn't need washing....wonder if I can do a deal with my neighbours kids to stop by every few mins to change over the CDs....after all, given how the UK economy is tanking, they might as well get used to working on a process line :-)

rgro
2010-11-15, 15:40
Hhmm, the car doesn't need washing....wonder if I can do a deal with my neighbours kids to stop by every few mins to change over the CDs....after all, given how the UK economy is tanking, they might as well get used to working on a process line :-)

Or, if you happen to have a chimp around who's not too busy, the training shouldn't be too difficult (and they'll work for bananas!). ;>) Four or five per hour is about as fast as you can expect, btw.