PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] Squeezebox on iPad: SqueezePad 1.6.0 released

bluegaspode
2010-11-13, 03:36
Only five weeks have passed since the last feature update time for a new one, don't you think ?

This release introduces:
- playlist protection
- album/artist/image-caching for your local library
- a reworked screensaver
- automatic server detection
- Wake-On-Lan
- iOS4.2 readyness
- some bugfixes

See all other features that always have been there on my website
(http://www.squeezepad.com/?lang=de) oder YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1TqeUJlC4).
Also don't forget to give your vote for the next most wanted feature: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83106.

But now let's go into the details of the current release !

Playlist protection
Ever created a big playlist and with a single wrong tap just erased it? Now SqueezePad offers you a 'playlist modification mode' on the settings screen.
You can either choose to
- always replace the playlist (old behavior)
- always add songs to the end
- always add songs after the current playing song
- always have SqueezePad ask you

The last option is really nice if you don't wan't to decide beforehand how to populate the playlist. It's also very nice for parties because your guest can decide on the fly.

Album/artist/image-caching for your local library
SqueezePad now keeps a cache for album-lists, artist-lists and album images of your local library.
The cache is only filled when you browse a menu the first time. If you enter the album or artist list a second time (even after a restart) they will appear immediately.
The cache will be flushed automatically when:
- you do a full rescan of your library
- you do a scan for new music and the album-,artist-, track- or genre-count changes
- you change the server-url or update your server

Furthermore you'll find a button on the settings screen for clearing the cache if something is not right (this might be needed, if just some album covers changed).

A reworked screensaver
The screensafer now looks much nicer overall. Gone is the boring black background.
But more important: if you tap it a bar with some controls (play,stop, rewind, next and volume) appears on the top so you can use the most important stuff right from the screensafer.
This is very handy when you use your iPad with the screensaver in the dock and just want to skip a song.

Automatic server detection
When one starts SqueezePad the first time, it will automatically search and connect to your Squeezebox-Server. No more fiddling with IP and Ports on the settings-screen.
SqueezePad will remember the name of the server, so if just the IP changes SqueezePad will now adopt automatically.

On the settings screen there is also a 'Search' button, which will give a list of all found servers.

Wake-On-Lan
If one enters the MAC of the server on the settings-screen, SqueezePad will send a Wake-On-Lan packet to this server upon start and every five minutes.

iOS4.2 ready
iOS4.2 is on the doorsteps to your iPad. SqueezePad now fully supports multitasking once this feature is available for the iPad.

Other Bugfixes
- if you have an album with more than 100 tracks starting a track 100+ now works
- the progress bar is hidden again when playing streams (bug introduced in 1.5.1)
- SqueezePad doesn't crash anymore when you enter invalid URLs on the settings-screen
- when you clear the playlist also the image of the last played song is cleared correctly
- erroneously selecting a track when closing the playlist is now much much harder

PietB
2010-11-13, 05:32
Thanks for the update, I Will check tomorrow the changes !

montechristo
2010-11-14, 04:32
fantastic, yet to try it but that sounds like nearly all of my wants addressed

so now that the artwork is cached that should allow the use of larger artwork that looks less grainy when in screensaver mode.

any opinions on teh optimum size?

bluegaspode
2010-11-14, 05:41
You could have used larger artwork even before ?

Personally I'm using 500x500 or 600x600 artwork. Bigger sizes are often hard to find.
iPad has a resolution of 1024*768 which currently limits the maximum width/heights to 768. But who knows what the future brings (iPad over TV?v ?

Anyway - even if not using the full resolution I'm very happy with 500x500.

amcluesent
2010-11-14, 06:34
Any chance of altering the 'squeezebox server timed out' alert on large red background when swapping back on iOS 4.2?

bluegaspode
2010-11-14, 10:15
Just make it look nicer or don't show it at all ?
I think it's important to show that the iPad capped the network connection from SqueezePad while it was in the background.
This popup wasn't shown very often with iOS3 (I hope) but indeed with the new iOS4 one will see it more often and I should think about rendering it a bit nicer.

panos_k75
2010-11-14, 10:28
Stefan

I am having some issues with this new version. When i start the app all am I getting is a yellow window ("trying to connect") and it keeps flashing. The menu loads on the background but can't do anything because of this flashing yellow window...Something is conbfusing it...Any ideas what it could be? I tried to delete and re-install with no progress.

amcluesent
2010-11-14, 11:30
>show it at all<

The connectin message only appears for a moment but it's rather fugly, so i'd supress unless the Server has really gone.

bluegaspode
2010-11-14, 12:26
Stefan

I am having some issues with this new version. When i start the app all am I getting is a yellow window ("trying to connect") and it keeps flashing.

Hi panos,

Are you sure your server is up and running correctly? Try to restart the server first!
Also check the ServerURL, just to be sure it's correct.

cvj
2010-11-14, 12:30
This is probably an ignorant question...but where do the functionality of installed plugins appear on the iPeng and iPengHD menues?

I have used the extension downloader to install a number of plug-ins (Playlist Manager, Rescan Music Library etc.) - and they show in i Peng1.2.8 under Settings > Advanced > Squeezebox Information > Plugin Modules...BUT where is the functionality shown on the various menus???

Have lloked in the Manual - but no joy...

bluegaspode
2010-11-14, 12:46
This is probably an ignorant question...but where do the functionality of installed plugins appear on the iPeng and iPengHD menues?
This thread is about SqueezePad but not iPeng?
In SqueezePad all plugins appear exactly at the same place in the menu, where they'd appear on an original Squeezebox.
This is different for each plugin and will be described in the manuals/wiki-pages of the corresponding plugins I guess.

pippin
2010-11-14, 13:33

I have used the extension downloader to install a number of plug-ins (Playlist Manager, Rescan Music Library etc.) - and they show in i Peng1.2.8 under Settings > Advanced > Squeezebox Information > Plugin Modules...BUT where is the functionality shown on the various menus???

Have lloked in the Manual - but no joy...

Well, what bluegaspode states is more or less also correct for iPeng: it depends on where the plugin author places the plugin.

Could you tell me which plugin you are talking about? Oh, and maybe move this to the iPeng support thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51929

bluegaspode
2010-11-28, 02:14
copied from a wrong thread:

I used Squeezepad a lot. Recently wend over to iPeng. I do have a lot of 7" singles in my iTunes library. When I play them ( they are grouped as a collection f.i. Favourite Single Tracks) you see the cover of the first track in the collection. I want to see the cover of the track currently playing. I also have some Greatest Hits albums of one artist or bsnd. I grabbed all the covers for the separate tracks which are of course also 7" tracks. Same problem here. Thevcover of the first track on the album is showed. IPeng does this correctly. I like your interface more than iPeng's but this feature wins. Please do something about it.

Hi yhatware.
I think you posted on the wrong thread so we should not go on here.
Could you please contact me on support(at)squeezePad.com

I need to know:
- what version of the squeezebox-server have you installed?
- how did you save your coverart (embedded in the files I guess?)
- do you have a parallel folder.jpg or similar?
- maybe you even can send me one sample file?

Guess this can be resolved easily once I am able to reproduce what you are seeing.

Yhatware
2010-11-28, 05:28
Hi,

This is copied from my system:

Version: 7.5.1 - r30836 @ Tue Jun 1 05:56:14 PDT 2010
Hostnaam: iMac-van-Harry-Oliemans.local
IP-address of server: 10.0.1.5
HTTP-portnumber of server: 9000
Operatingsystem: Mac OS X 10.6.5 - NL - utf8
Platformarchitecture: x86_64
Perl-version: 5.10.0 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
MySQL-version: 5.0.22-standard
Total number of recognized musicsystems: 1

I use iTunes as my music collection

My cover art is embedded in the files

I'll try to attach 1 album which contains 7" singles with separate cover art.
That did not succeed. Max filesize is too small. Can I send it by e-mail?

Shortly. I have an album (or a compilation) with a number of tracks on it. Each track has its own dedicate cover. I want to see the separate covers. Now I see the cover of the first tracj in the album (or the compilation)

bluegaspode
2010-11-28, 12:51
Hi Yhatware,

thanks for raising this issue. Here an excerpt from the mail I sent you, so that others are informed as well:

I started to embed some coverarts in my library as a test and am able to reproduce your issue here.

The most interesting thing: my Squeezebox Radio and Squeezebox Controller show exactly the same (annoying) behaviour. Only the image of the first song with embedded art is used (and not even the cover.jpg if a song doesn't have embedded art).
As SqueezePad is built to work the same as say a Squeezebox Touch it's no wonder that it shows the same behaviour.

You are not the first one to realize that by the way - all this is discussed here for instance: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=74247
as well as in a big (unresolved) bug in Squeezebox-Server (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9919)

Having said that: I realize that the WebUI indeed is able to show the 'correct' image.
I fixed SqueezePad to use the same way of retrieving art like the WebUI, so the next version will be improved in this regard.

bluegaspode
2010-12-03, 12:10
Hi guys,

SqueezePad 1.6.1 was release to the AppStore.
This is a small bugfix release with the following changes (mostly targeted on better operation under iOS4.2 on iPad).

- iOS4.2: faster reconnect when returning from background
- iOS4.2: fixed connection problems after returning from background
- iOS4.2: clear cache if the database was rescanned while in background
- fixed a bug with reconnections when a player was removed from a server while SqueezePad was active
- fixed a bug in handling the menus from the Facebook App

pippin
2010-12-03, 16:33
Hi guys,

Hm. Do you have no female customers???

bluegaspode
2010-12-04, 03:22
Hm. Do you have no female customers???

Um, don't know.
My wife at least ... but she doesn't read here :D

Someone needs to teach me english now. "Dear Sir or Madam" or "Dear all" doesn't sound good as well, so what's the corresponding word for 'guys' in english to address women?

panos_k75
2010-12-04, 07:10
Hi Stefan
Small request if possible. I noticed that the cover art gets cached only if u browse to the relevant album. So initially all albums appear with no cover art, unless u browse to them. Would it be possible to have a cache mechanism that would run on the background and cache cover art even prior to me browsing to an album? In that way i will always have cover art on my menus right from the start.
Thx,
P.

Chunkywizard
2010-12-04, 08:00
The corresponding word would be gals or girls, but I wouldn't start a post, Hi Guys and Girls! I always use Hi Folks and a generic way to address both sexes but I know some females who hate this being used. In short, I think it's impossible to please everyone, just do as you please!

CW

P.s. You could always go over the top and address the masses as Ladies and Gentlemen!

bluegaspode
2010-12-04, 10:55
I always use Hi Folks and a generic way to address both sexes but I know some females who hate this being used
Hi Chunkywizard,

thanks for the lesson :)

I guess those females you talk about wouldn't like 'Hi guys' either, so I'll adopt 'Hi folks' for the future to satisfy all the others.

bluegaspode
2010-12-04, 11:15
Hi Stefan
Small request if possible. I noticed that the cover art gets cached only if u browse to the relevant album. So initially all albums appear with no cover art, unless u browse to them. Would it be possible to have a cache mechanism that would run on the background and cache cover art even prior to me browsing to an album? In that way i will always have cover art on my menus right from the start.
No - I won't do that. If you look into the iPeng support-thread (and some of his App-Store comments) this only gets you into trouble because the load on the server is too big.
If I understood correctly pippin even removed this feature from iPeng now.

So SqueezePad will stay 'just' as fast as any SqueezeBox when one first looks into the menus and will gain only the longer the music library stays constant (which I think is most of the time for the majority of users).

pippin
2010-12-04, 14:03
If you look into the iPeng support-thread (and some of his App-Store comments) this only gets you into trouble because the load on the server is too big.
If I understood correctly pippin even removed this feature from iPeng now.

Indeed.

I will re-enable it once everybody uses SBS 7.6.... so probably a few years away.

bluegaspode
2010-12-04, 14:16
Indeed.

I will re-enable it once everybody uses SBS 7.6.... so probably a few years away.

Haha - lets start a countdown ... only 25632 hours until precaching is activated again...
There are still a lot of people with Buffalo NAS and server 7.3 out there ... just yesterday had a support mail asking if I could/would support it :)

pippin
2010-12-04, 18:25
Well, what I should probably add is that iPeng doesn't need the feature as much as before anymore since it does play a number of nice tricks to make sure at least the artwork you need soon is loaded in advance so that it's available in time to be displayed, at least after it's being cached.

So a lot of iPeng users might probably not even notice that the preloading is gone since the artwork will often still be present when the album hits the screen. It just won't work that well when you connect to the server the first time.

OTOH you'll find it much easier to keep a lot of artwork in memory given the tiny stamps you are using :)

bluegaspode
2010-12-05, 00:51
You just made me start iPeng again ;)

On first start I still have a popup 'Lade Liste in Zwischenspeicher'?
But even on subsequent starts if I go to albums I only see the covers after a small delay.

Didn't expect this when they are cached.
And I just realized, that I cannot change the album order anymore in iPeng settings, are you aware of this?

pippin
2010-12-05, 02:14
After starts there will always be a small delay. But if you scroll, often (not always) the artwork will be there.
And if it's nit there it will often show up while you scroll.
I clear the memory cache (like you do) when sending the App to the background to avoid getting it quit too soon for excessive memory use.
Or do you use CoreData? I haven't found a useful use for CoreData yet that would not dramatically cut into performance or flexibility.

On the setting: yes, I'm aware of it, you can't change _any_ setting except party mode right now.
An update is with Apple but you know how review times stand right now...

bluegaspode
2010-12-05, 02:44
No I'm not using core data, I read the docs and found it too complicated for such a simple task.
I'm having my own file based database, just like people programmed 20years ago.

pippin
2010-12-05, 03:20
No I'm not using core data, I read the docs and found it too complicated for such a simple task.
I'm having my own file based database, just like people programmed 20years ago.

It's not only too complicated, it's also too inflexible, at least in this case. One would need an object oriented database for SqueezeStuff.
The drawback of using your own files (which I do, too) is that they sometimes get corrupted during updates of the App or the OS. But then I don't know whether maybe the same happens to CoreData...