PDA

View Full Version : Wonder why I can't connect remotely

Muele
2010-11-11, 11:10
I can't connect my player to my squeezebox server across the web.

I have set up port forwarding of ports 9000, 9090 (shouldn't be necessary, actually) and 3483 in the router.

I can connect remotely with Squeezecommander on my phone. And with my webbrowser (http:....:9000) and ...:9000/stream.mp3 on the pc.

But I cannot get any squeezebox player to connect. I have tried with a Radio, Softsqueeze and Squeezeplay.

I guess the difference is port 3483, but that is also forwarded (both protocols)

Any ideas what can be wrong?

snarlydwarf
2010-11-11, 13:46

It should work fine... my Radio streams from home.

pski
2010-11-11, 19:59
I can't connect my player to my squeezebox server across the web.

I have set up port forwarding of ports 9000, 9090 (shouldn't be necessary, actually) and 3483 in the router.

I can connect remotely with Squeezecommander on my phone. And with my webbrowser (http:....:9000) and ...:9000/stream.mp3 on the pc.

But I cannot get any squeezebox player to connect. I have tried with a Radio, Softsqueeze and Squeezeplay.

I guess the difference is port 3483, but that is also forwarded (both protocols)

Port 3483 UDP supports remote player discovery(??). There is a difference between UDP and TCP.

Does this help? you need both.

P

Muele
2010-11-12, 01:27
Thanks for the replies.

I have set up forwarding on both protocls, so that should be covered.

Is there some free tool I can use to find out where the chain breaks? I run win xp.

Mnyb
2010-11-12, 02:25
Where are you connecting from ?

Maybe the block is somewhere else UDP and certain ports .

I can not even use softsqueeze or winamp from my work, for some reason my employer takes a dim view on conecting to unknown servers trough the company firewall :confused:

The autodiscovery will of course not work so you have to specify the IP in the connect to remote servers menu for Radio or Touch for example

Muele
2010-11-12, 09:53
Hooray, I got it to work finally.

I suspect it was a combination of different things. I think the router was the problem at some point. After fidling around for some time, I sort of got through. but not really.

The next problem was squeezeplay. (I had long stopped playing around with the Radio) It was a really old build and turned out to be stuck on a long-gone server, even though it allowed me to enter the IP of the remote server.

Now all that remains is to see if the company firewall allows me through. I think it does.

Thanks for all input.

Ps. I currently sit listening to Volbeat, synced on two radios, one on my new home network, and the other on the old internet connection. The delay is almost unnoticeable and could probably be tweaked away entirely.

Muele
2010-11-16, 06:27
After getting internet access to work, the internal access to my squeezeboxserver has gotten teribly unstable.

When connecting from the web, everything is fine.

But the players on the internal network loose connection all the time.

It only last for -2 seconds, but it happens constantly. Like up to 2 times pr second if browsing music. Probably about 10 times per minute when just listening to music. Streaming is not interupted. Probably due to the size of the buffer.

Lan or w-lan makes no difference, I see the same behavior for both.

I suspect the reason is that traffic which should stay on my home network, travels outside and back in.
I have tried a number of different things to solve it,
Among that was to deny the addresses of my home network from using the port forwarding. That definately makes a difference. Now the internal players don't flash blue all the time. But they react REALLY slow. Something like one minute to open "artists" in the music menu. Similar long time to just pause a player from the controller. They also loose connection entirely once in a while.

I'm running out of ideas.
I use a D-link DIR-635.

Do you guys have some ideas I could try out?

Muele
2010-11-16, 07:16
Latest update: I tried releasing the ip from the router, effectively disabling the internet connection.

Result: perfect internal access.

Pretty much as soon as I renewed the IP on the router things got bad again.

So the problem is definately to do with LAN-traffic going to the internet.

SteveEast
2010-11-16, 07:30
I'd take a close look at how you've done the port forwarding. It should only be active on traffic originating from the WAN.

Steve.

Muele
2010-11-16, 07:43
"Intern" is Denying the adresses from 192.168.0.100 to ...200

That resulted in the description above with really slow reactions.

I don't see other ways I can decide when to apply the forwarding.

PS. on the screendump I disabled the forwarding in order to be able to enjoy the squeezes at home.

Muele
2010-11-16, 09:21
So. I think I finally got it to work as expected (Knock on wood).

I ended up setting the portforwarding to translate internet port 9005 to LAN port 9000 to really force the distinguation between internal and external access.

I then had to reset the squeezeboxes to factory defaults to make them stop attempting to connect to the external ip:9000.

It now work internally as well as externally (at least with softsqueeze where I can set the port manually, I didn't try Squeezeplay and hardware players yet).

Phew, that took some effort. Good thing I used to be an IT technician.

Thanks for the replies. I got some good cues.