PDA

View Full Version : Problem with USB HD

lrpm
2010-11-10, 13:07
I have just bought the SBT to listen to FLAC files from a USB HD without PC.

The current version is: 7.5.1.r9218

Every time I switch on the SBT it starts to look for music in the USB HD, only to finish with the message:

Local Music Service has been stopped due to a problem

I have tried different HD both USB-powered and not, and from different brands: iomega, lacie, western digital, etc. Every time the result is the same.

While it is looking for music files, music is interrupting quite often, specially with 24/96 files.

I don't know what to do. I would like that the SBT could be switched on without the tiny server start to look for files.

Thanks

aubuti
2010-11-10, 14:58
Welcome to the forums. The processing power of the Touch is very limited, so it has difficulty scanning the music files (to build the database of artists, albums, tracks, genres, etc on which the menus are based) at the same time it is playing music. If you have a large music library it can take a long time for the Touch to do the initial scan. The general advice is to leave the Touch alone while it is doing the initial scan. That means don't play any music on the Touch, don't navigate any of the Touch's menus, don't do anything. Just let it scan. Subsequent scans to check for new or changed music go much more quickly.

Also, most reports indicate fewer problems with externally-powered drives compared to USB-powered drives. A lot of the USB-powered drives draw more power than the spec allows, which taxes the Touch. So stick with an externally-powered drive. Toshiba drives have gotten good marks.

Look at other postings in this forum and you'll see other tips about how to get the Touch's built-in server working as well as it can. But you should also be advised that the built-in server does not work very reliably, and that you may be better off in the end running Squeezebox Server on your pc, even though that is what you hoped to avoid.

lrpm
2010-11-10, 15:56
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I had heard on these issues, and because of that each time I do let alone the touch while scanning the files. The problem is that in a certain moment, usually when it seems to be close to finish scanning, the server stops with that weird message and with the server stopped... and the only thing I can do is either restart the server or restart the Touch (with the back button). In any case it starts scanning again. If I let it to do so, it finishes again with the same message.

In fact I have also tried to install the server in my laptop (with SUSE), From the laptop`I can connect to the web server, and everything seems OK, but the fact is that neither the Touch sees the laptop nor the laptop sees the Touch. I don't know what am I doing wrong (It is not really an option to use the laptop for normal listening, but at least I was trying to listening to something!)

aubuti
2010-11-10, 16:05
Okay, I had interpreted your comment "While it is looking for music files, music is interrupting quite often" to mean that you were trying to listen to music while it was scanning. Personally I don't use TinySBS (the Touch's built-in server) other than to test it with a USB data stick on a small subset of my library, so I can't give you much other advice.

The laptop and the Touch not seeing each other is clearly a different issue, and from your limited description it's hard to say what the problem is. Are you sure your laptop's firewall isn't blocking the connection? Are you sure that the Touch isn't connected to mysqueezebox.com, when you're really trying to connect it to SBS on the laptop?

lrpm
2010-11-10, 16:46
No, I am not really sure some firewall is not running either on the laptop or in the wifi router. I should investigate. Thanks.

Yes I did try to listen to music while scanning a couple of times, but most times I let the touch alone. Maybe I will try other more HD, maybe with only a few albums, to see whether it is able to finish scanning. I will report back.

iPhone
2010-11-10, 17:33
"While it is looking for file music it stops playing"? You can't do anything while it is scanning the drive. Do not try to play any music, search, or anything while it scanning the HD. Just let it sit there and do its thing.

Also the scan can't deal with large artwork files. Delete any files over 600 X 600 and any hires files IE large file in KBs.

As for 24/96 FLAC files, it is best not to use anything above -5 compression when using TinySC.

lrpm
2010-11-10, 17:52
One more question: let's suppose I manage to solve the problem and the Touch finishes the scan of the USB drive. And let's suppose I unplug the Touch: when I switch it on again, will it start to scan again the drive or not? Thank you

JohnSwenson
2010-11-10, 18:42
One more question: let's suppose I manage to solve the problem and the Touch finishes the scan of the USB drive. And let's suppose I unplug the Touch: when I switch it on again, will it start to scan again the drive or not? Thank you

Once the initial scan has completed successfully, each time it boots it does a quick scan, comparing the files on the disk with its internal database, looking for new files it hasn't seen before. If it finds any new files it will do a full read of those new files. In most cases this quick scan only takes a minute or two.

Until the Touch finishes the initial scan its going to try and do the initial scan each time it boots.

What have been seeing is most often caused by artwork, either too big or of the wrong type. Progessive jpgs can frequently cause big problems. If you have the artwork embedded in the music files it can be difficult to determine how bit they are. Others here can tell you about some programs that can help with this. I just keep my artwork (cover.jpg) in the album directory so I never have to worry about embedded images.

Another situation that can cause problems is a single directory with a lot of files. With TinySBS you should never have more than 100 files in any directory.

John S.

lrpm
2010-11-11, 01:52
Thank you for the tip. I have each album in a folder, so in each folder there are a few tracks only, but the truth is that the 'music' folder has hundreds of folders in it. Could that be an issue?

I have still to check the artwork, there are a lot of very large jpgs, but I think none of them are called 'cover.jpg' or any other name recognized by the Touch, so I thought they would be ignored. Maybe they won't.

As soon as possible I will try with a fresh HD, with a few tracks. If it works, I could try to add more files, small artwork, etc. To do so I think It could be convenient to enable the sharing option on the Touch, and try to add a single album at a time via the wireless network. Is it a viable option, of will it carry further problems, in view of the limited resources of the Touch?

Thanks again for all the responses

Mnyb
2010-11-11, 05:11
I migth be wrong but did they not make the onboard server to use almost any artwork it can find or is this for 7.6 only ?

I think it tkaes embedded art first then cover.jp or folder.jpg, thats with the normal sbs there you can specify aditional names.
But the Tiny SBS on Touch does not have such settings it might try to use whatever it finds ? but i'm not usure if i'm correct here.

JohnSwenson
2010-11-11, 15:58
Thank you for the tip. I have each album in a folder, so in each folder there are a few tracks only, but the truth is that the 'music' folder has hundreds of folders in it. Could that be an issue?

I have still to check the artwork, there are a lot of very large jpgs, but I think none of them are called 'cover.jpg' or any other name recognized by the Touch, so I thought they would be ignored. Maybe they won't.

As soon as possible I will try with a fresh HD, with a few tracks. If it works, I could try to add more files, small artwork, etc. To do so I think It could be convenient to enable the sharing option on the Touch, and try to add a single album at a time via the wireless network. Is it a viable option, of will it carry further problems, in view of the limited resources of the Touch?

Thanks again for all the responses

A lot of directories in a directory is fine. The problem is having a large number of songs in one directory. TinySBS has problems with that.

John S.

jean2
2010-11-11, 17:04
Hi,

Some time ago I made a long post on how to get TinySB to work optimally :

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82070

Lots of the stuff already discussed in this thread is already mentioned in details in this long post, so I don't know why the regulars did not point you to it...

Good luck...

Jean

jean2
2010-11-11, 17:07
A lot of directories in a directory is fine.

I'm personally convinced this is not true, but I must admit I don't have any data to back up my claim. Would you mind elaborating ?

Regards,

Jean

lrpm
2010-11-11, 17:11
Thank you. I will read that. For the moment the Touch with a HD with 20 or so 96/24 vinyl rips without any artwork works perfectly. I have started to enjoy good sound and music. If I can add more and more albums I will be happy.