PDA

View Full Version : Plug-ins vs Apps - Noobie question

cjfreitag
2010-11-09, 11:28
I've had my Touch for several days and am really enjoying it, especially now that the Rhapsody problem has been fixed.

Here's my question: what is the difference between an App and a Plug-in? On another thread, for instance, I saw discussion about an XM radio plug-in. I have the Sirius app loaded and am using it already, but it would be nice to leverage the XM account that I already have.

Can anyone point me to some basic information about this?

toby10
2010-11-09, 11:51
Plugins reside only on the full SBS server running on a computer.
Apps reside on MySqueezeBox.com and are usable on both SBS and MySB.

To further confuse things some Apps can be installed directly on the new players (Touch & Radio).

I believe XM usage is limited to only a Plugin running on your SBS server on your computer.

JohnSwenson
2010-11-09, 12:24
There are actually three different types of entities:
plugins
applets
aps

Plugins loaded into the SBS server. For the older players the server controls everything including what gets displayed on the screen.

Applets are run directly on the new players (Touch, radio and controller). These devices have processors that interact with the user and display stuff on their own screen.

Aps are run on a server (frequently mysqueezebox.com)to talk with various online music services.

Since the Touch is a new style player it can run applets and also talk to a server running plugins. Not all plugins that worked with older players will work with the Touch. Particularly ones that draw on the screen won't work. Some plugins work fine with a Touch. If you want to use a particular plugin your best bet is to go over to the third party forum and ask if that particular plugin will work with a Touch.

Some plugins have been rewritten as applets, and some need both a plugin AND and applet, the plugin to interact with the server and the applet to draw on the screen and interact with the user.

John S.

toby10
2010-11-09, 13:00
oooops...yes...Appletes are on the actual players, not Apps.