PDA

View Full Version : Extend Duet to get Internet Radio in bedroom

MorrisMinah
2010-11-07, 11:34
Hi,
I own a Duet system which provides music in my living room using a stereo amp and speakers.

I wish to add something to get me internet radio and alarm in the bedroom. I don't want to use another receiver because it would require me to add a stereo amp and speakers which I don't have room for next to the bed.

Is the Squeezebox Internet Radio the best solution or is there a cheaper way to go?

Thanks

garym
2010-11-07, 11:41
Hi,
I own a Duet system which provides music in my living room using a stereo amp and speakers.

I wish to add something to get me internet radio and alarm in the bedroom. I don't want to use another receiver because it would require me to add a stereo amp and speakers which I don't have room for next to the bed.

Is the Squeezebox Internet Radio the best solution or is there a cheaper way to go?

Thanks

The Boom or the Radio would be your only two choices that would work with SbS you already have AND have built in amp/speaker. I have two booms that are rock solid.

Soulkeeper
2010-11-08, 06:21
If you run SBS, and your server is stable, go for the Radio (if you want good looks) or the Boom (if you want good sound).

But be warned: The alarm functionality will only be as reliable as your SBS (which at least for me is good enough, YMMV). Don't connect your players to MySqueezebox.com if you want reliable alarms.

iPhone
2010-11-08, 06:30
If its just for alarm and Internet radio, I say go for a Boom or SB Radio. If you want a little something more but don't want an amp and speakers, how about a Receiver with a pair of Audio Engine A2 powered speakers? Or A5s for bigger sound.

MorrisMinah
2010-11-08, 10:30
Thanks everyone.

I've decided to go with the Squeezebox Radio as it is the cheapest solution and is also the smallest. I was tempted by the Boom but put off by the higher price (than the radio).

I note your comments on the use of Mysqueezebox.com. I keep SBS running all the time on an old spare PC so never use Mysqueezebox.com..

snarlydwarf
2010-11-08, 12:03
Thanks everyone.

I've decided to go with the Squeezebox Radio as it is the cheapest solution and is also the smallest. I was tempted by the Boom but put off by the higher price (than the radio).

I note your comments on the use of Mysqueezebox.com. I keep SBS running all the time on an old spare PC so never use Mysqueezebox.com..

Well the Boom has twice the speakers of a Radio... But then it takes more bedside table space... and the Boom is Stereo, but then if it's on your bedside table, your stereo imaging is going to suck anyway...

ie, either one works fine... choose the one that fits your need. My Radio gets the most use of any SB of mine, but then it sits next to me at work.