PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the switch

gfrnd
2010-11-05, 03:04
I don't know if this has been discussed before but when considering problems with playing from squeezeserver don't forget the network switch. Even though I had switched to powerline networking and had a powerful server I would still get weird pauses in the music. By a process of elimination I discovered it was my gigabit switch that was freezing. It was getting warm and I could get the music going again by a power cycle of the switch. After all, its just another computer and can hang or crash. It seems some switches are just aren't up for a steady stream, especially the hi bit stuff.

I did some research and found that people really liked HP switches (I had been using Netgear). Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued their low end models. I was able to find one, and that problem has completely gone away.

Anyone else see this?

Mnyb
2010-11-05, 03:12
I use a deltaco switch it works great .

My router can hang if gets to hot. This stuff should have well ventilated spot to sit in, don't cram them into a cupboard with a cable heap on top.

A tip don't keep routers or switches on top of a computer (been there done that) it's to hot.

Btw imho don't use anything fancy like a "green" switch they works by "smartly", you guess it ;) slow down or turn of networking when not "needed". I can not imagine this actually working with anything but websurfing with a computer.

pski
2010-11-05, 14:49
My Dlink Gigabyte switches sometimes have brain-farts but it's usually caused by 'lectric issues rather than heat. Normally, the same hiccup equally confuses my Linksys 100M's..

carrera
2010-11-06, 18:08
Hi,

Very interesting!

First time I hear about problems with switches - never expected that there could be some probs.

I am using 2 Netgear GS108 and never had any problems with them. The biggest problems I ever had were when using powerline adapters.

carrera

eganders
2010-11-06, 21:46
First time I hear about problems with switches - never expected that there could be some probs.

Switches are often one of the last things that users suspect, though they can definitely have problems. Even switches from better known "quality" vendors.

If your network speeds don't seem to be what they should be, or you're having wacky network problems - maybe repeated occasional dropped or slow connections, your switch could definitely be a potential culprit.

Finding a bad switch is obviously easy if it simply does not function - but that rarely happens. Typically failing switches are occasionally flaky, or they run at less than full speed, or only some ports on the switch exhibit bad behavior.

Some direct things you can try if you want to check for switch problems: swap ports, limit the number of networked devices (while running tests), bypass the switch (often with a crossover cable, check the signal status and speed at an upstream or downstream connection If you're up to it, you can even look at computer stats that indicate transmission issues.

Or, you might borrow or purchase another switch. They're pretty inexpensive in the scheme of things.

pfarrell
2010-11-06, 22:22
On 11/07/2010 12:46 AM, eganders wrote:
>> First time I hear about problems with switches - never expected that
>> there could be some probs.
>
> Switches are often one of the last things that users suspect, though
> they can definitely have problems. Even switches from better known
> "quality" vendors.

Yes, they are usually dead reliable, but I had a big power spike or
something that fried two nice switches. They were major brands, i.e.
D-Link or Netgear or Linksys (I don't remember). I just put in a spare,
and ordered new ones from Newegg

I've had an Ethernet network in my house since the early 1990s, and
these were the first hub or switches that I've ever seen fail. But it
can and does happen.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

millerlitescott
2010-11-07, 06:44
I have also been experiencing music stopping during playback and after 30 seconds to a minute it would come back on. It happens when I am playing from a laptop that is connected via ethernet to the router and the from the router to a network hub to the touch via ehternet. I do not remember this happening when I was going wireless. It also does not happen when I play from a netbook I have that is wireless to the router.

Interesting.

Scott

eganders
2010-11-07, 09:27
I have also been experiencing music stopping during playback and after 30 seconds to a minute it would come back on. It happens when I am playing from a laptop that is connected via ethernet to the router and the from the router to a network hub to the touch via ehternet. I do not remember this happening when I was going wireless. It also does not happen when I play from a netbook I have that is wireless to the router.

Interesting.

Scott

From a time perspective, you often have to dig into things quite a bit to know for sure when the source you are having problems with is coming from your internet pipe. Streaming, in particular, qualifies for this.

As Pat eludes to above, for not too much money you can purchase a good spare switch that can answer a lot of questions right quick, while simultaneously providing significant relief on the hassle and exasperation scale.