PDA

View Full Version : itunes

appeland
2010-11-02, 12:41
Hello.
I've had squeezeboxes for many years now and other mobile MP3 players too.
Now the wife had to get one of them new Apple ipod shuffle things because they are trendy in her Gym (OMG!).
Anyway - I wasn't worried much - just thought - point the itunes fellow to the server share where the music sits and she can sync to her hearts content.
Itunes however went ahead and messed my beatifully squeeezebox "compliant" tags and album arts into a right mess.

That was that then - itunes removed - music library, database & slimserver restored from tape backup - silly apple device back to apple store!

Never - ever - will I try apple for music again (I like the IPhone though - except for music - Philips does much better I think).

Ta.
Andi

MrSinatra
2010-11-02, 13:16
itunes sucks, no doubt, but you COULD have done what you wanted without messing up your tags, etc...

pippin
2010-11-02, 13:30
itunes sucks, no doubt, but you COULD have done what you wanted without messing up your tags, etc...

It sucks so much that it _can_ mess up artwork if you don't follow a strict folder structure.
I've got a few folders where I collect single tracks and a big annoyance is that iTunes insists on putting artwork files there which then will show up for a lot of the tracks in there :evil:
It should not mess up tags, though.
It _does_ mess up folder structures if you let it which probably the worst thing of it all.

appeland
2010-11-02, 13:45
My folder structure is very simple to allow slimserver to do things quickly:
- Artist
- Album
- <Track number> title.mp3
- folder.jpg

You don't want to know what itunes made out of it and the tags. slimserver got way confused after a re-scan :)

MrSinatra
2010-11-02, 13:57
It sucks so much that it _can_ mess up artwork if you don't follow a strict folder structure.
I've got a few folders where I collect single tracks and a big annoyance is that iTunes insists on putting artwork files there which then will show up for a lot of the tracks in there :evil:
It should not mess up tags, though.
It _does_ mess up folder structures if you let it which probably the worst thing of it all.

yes, true, but a user can set it up to not do that. you just have to carefully, thoroughly examine options/settings/prefs b4 telling it where the music is.

however, i thought that itunes put all the art it downloaded into a DB? it actually puts it into the folder with the files? i know WMP does that, but i've read itunes doesn't do that, just a DB.

pippin
2010-11-02, 14:06
It does. For some strange reason it still seems to sometimes put files there. I always blames Windows but now on my MacBook it's the same and there nothing but iTunes and SBS accesses my music an no, I don't have FindArt installed on that computer

ddewey
2010-11-02, 14:06
Quoting MrSinatra (MrSinatra.4jthyn1288731481 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> pippin;586666 Wrote:
> > It sucks so much that it _can_ mess up artwork if you don't follow a
> > strict folder structure.
> > I've got a few folders where I collect single tracks and a big
> > annoyance is that iTunes insists on putting artwork files there which
> > then will show up for a lot of the tracks in there :evil:
> > It should not mess up tags, though.
> > It _does_ mess up folder structures if you let it which probably the
> > worst thing of it all.
>
> yes, true, but a user can set it up to not do that. you just have to
> carefully, thoroughly examine options/settings/prefs b4 telling it
> where the music is.
>
> however, i thought that itunes put all the art it downloaded into a DB?
> it actually puts it into the folder with the files? i know WMP does
> that, but i've read itunes doesn't do that, just a DB.

To your point, if you don't uncheck the setting that tells it to
manage your files, that's exactly what it will do.

I use itunes (hate it, but I need it) to manage a lot of iDevices -
if you're careful setting it up the first time, it will very happily
coexist with squeezeboxserver without issue.

It has a lot of other problems, but that's an easy one to fix.

appeland
2010-11-02, 14:10
yes, true, but a user can set it up to not do that. you just have to carefully, thoroughly examine options/settings/prefs b4 telling it where the music is.

however, i thought that itunes put all the art it downloaded into a DB? it actually puts it into the folder with the files? i know WMP does that, but i've read itunes doesn't do that, just a DB.

I see - it must be possible to have them running in parallel then.
Maybe I was a bit on the unpatient side of things at the time, but what do you expect a fellow to do when he sees his much pampered music library dis-integrate in front of his eyes, trusting a major product?

But what happens if all the settings are set to not touch the library and a little popup comes up "A new itunes version is available, would you like to upgrade" and one of the offsprings thinks "yeah - cool - new is better" - would it retain all those settings?

MrSinatra
2010-11-02, 14:26
i should emphasize i don't use itunes, hate it, and my only exp is with my Dads, which he has to have to use his ipod touch, but i do think it retains the settings on upgrade.

what Pippin is reporting here though is troubling, that itunes will randomly every so often put art it DLs into the folder with the files... that sucks. if it is going to use a DB, just use a DB, period. and btw it also sucks that you can't tell it to use Folder.jpg in a folder if available, and/or not to use embedded art.

Pippin, how often does itunes do this to your folders? is it only on folders that have differing artists/albumartists in the same folder?

garym
2010-11-02, 14:43
Hmmmm. Odd. I use itunes, and have for 5 or 6 years, for managing my idevices only. I have thousands of artist and album folders (60k+ tracks), and have never seen an artwork file inside a folder. All the artwork is maintained in a special itunes database (and can also be embedded in file). Not to say, this doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it. I've always used windows and itunes(XP or Win 7)

Zoltan
2010-11-02, 15:28
I got myself a Touch earlier this year and it is great but I really, really detest iTunes. I had it installed for a while a few years ago just to try it out but hated the way it took over my computer and I soon got rid of it. I hoped that things would have improved in the meantime. Unfortunately not. For some reason it decided to delete some of my apps while I loaded some music onto the Touch, even though I had instructed it - as far as I could tell - not to synchronise apps. Transferring the music took absolutely ages too.

I have since discovered foobar2000 and the foo_dop plugin so I can get music onto the the device without iTunes' intervention. And apps I just download directly on to the device. I still have iTunes installed but I installed it under a new user account in XP that I created just for the purpose of using iTunes. It doesn't isolate it 100% but it helps.

Unfortunately, I want to upgrade to iOS4 so that I can install the Squeezebox client (I forget what it is called - I don't mean iPeng but the one for playing music streamed from your server) so that means risking iTunes again!

garym
2010-11-02, 16:08
I'm not a particular fan of itunes (too bloated, particularly over the last few years), but I have to say it doesn't cause me any of the problems some folks associate with it. I use it strictly for loading up files on my ipods & iphones. I play music on my computer with foobar2000, I use SbS for home music, dbpa for ripping, and mp3tag for various tagging purposes. So itunes is strictly an iThing "loader".

That said, as long as I've set up things properly in itunes, it doesn't touch my tags, other than to add a soundcheck value (and then only if I turn on soundcheck when loading the files).(1) It doesn't change my directory organization (as long as unchecked), it doesn't add album art (unless I ask it to). So bottom line, I don't disagree that it is a bloated program that *can* do lots of stuff to your files and organization structure, but I also suggest that you can easily turn all this stuff off.

(1) I do use the soundcheck value for the mp3 versions of my songs that I load on itunes. But in fact I use mp3tag to create these soundcheck values from replaygain album gain values. So all itunes does is read the values I've already created with mp3tag.

p.s. Unfortunately, we may see SbS headed in the same direction as itunes (cf., facebook integration!).

Hugo_NAS
2010-11-02, 17:45
Unfortunately, I want to upgrade to iOS4 so that I can install the Squeezebox client (I forget what it is called - I don't mean iPeng but the one for playing music streamed from your server) so that means risking iTunes again!

Sounds interesting...anyone any idea what it's called?

pippin
2010-11-02, 23:49
SqueezeCast.

Raptor
2010-11-03, 03:31
I've seen all the issues listed here too. The latest update (needed for the GFs new shuffle) decided to completely wipe about 8 albums tags; all the artists names began with either A, B, C or D - just makes no sense!

My solution is now to make all the folders and files read-only.

We love our iPods and iPad, but I think they're just crippled by iTunes...

Simon.

cunobelinus
2010-11-03, 07:31
Used iTunes with iPods and Macs for six years, and with Squeezeboxes ("use iTunes" checked) for five. Library of around 12000 tracks, in about 1,000 albums, split roughly 60/40 classical to rock/pop/etc, all but a dozen with artwork. No problems, and really don't see why so many people seem so to hate it.

On 3 Nov 2010, at 10:31, Raptor wrote:

>
> I've seen all the issues listed here too. The latest update (needed for
> the GFs new shuffle) decided to completely wipe about 8 albums tags; all
> the artists names began with either A, B, C or D - just makes no sense!
>
> My solution is now to make all the folders and files read-only.
>
> We love our iPods and iPad, but I think they're just crippled by
> iTunes...
>
> Simon.
>
>
> --
> Raptor
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Raptor's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=13132
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83034