PDA

View Full Version : Sonos Wireless Dock

ericj
2010-10-31, 08:26
I doubt that I would be a purchaser, but I'm surprised that there has been no conversation about the Sonos Wireless Dock. I suspect it will move a lot of product for them. See:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/sonos-wireless-dock-for-ipod-and-iphone-is-out-now-for-119/

I suspect it uses airplay to stream, and is of limited quality, BUT, I suspect for many the convenience factor will be significant.

Will Logitech introduce something similar?

bhaagensen
2010-10-31, 11:51
I suspect it uses airplay to stream, and is of limited quality, BUT, I suspect for many the convenience factor will be significant.

I understood that they where using digital only in original resolution?

Nikhil
2010-10-31, 12:14
It's really just using the iPod like a wireless hard drive via Sonos' wifi mesh network, and allowing access of the contents through the normal Sonos controllers. I can see it being quite useful at parties when people come over with iPods and want to play it through your system. It does not use Apple's Airplay to stream. And the quality will be the same as the music on the iPod. If it is lossless, then it will remain lossless.

What seems a lot more interesting is Arcam's rDAC KW and rWand products that use Kleer lossless wireless and appear to allow similar functionality without physically docking the iPod.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Devices,Accessories,rWand.htm

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36521/arcam-rdac-kw-music-streamer

ericj
2010-10-31, 12:43
My mistake, of course it will stream at the original encoding, I was just assuming that most ithings contain low bit-rate mp3s and the like. My bad.
Interesting Nikhil, that they use the iPhone as a wireless drive. Is that possible on a non-jailbroken iphone? That raised the possibility that one could do something similar under squeeze?
In any case, thanks for the followup.

Nikhil
2010-10-31, 12:51
It does not need a jailbroken iDevice. Should work out of the box on any iPod / iPhone that has a dock connector.

iPhone
2010-10-31, 13:09
I doubt that I would be a purchaser, but I'm surprised that there has been no conversation about the Sonos Wireless Dock. I suspect it will move a lot of product for them. See:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/sonos-wireless-dock-for-ipod-and-iphone-is-out-now-for-119/

Who wants to listen to lo-res music? Think about where the files for an iPod or iPhone came from. That's right, from a PC, your iTunes account (PC again), or something that was ripped to MP3. So if you already have them, why not just stream them with SBS, Doh. This Sonos thing is for people with more money then brains!

JJZolx
2010-10-31, 13:10

The Squeezebox design has never been able to stream arbitrary music sources. Despite the open source background and plugin extensibility, the core capabilities remain rather inflexible.

By all appearances Logitech looks like they're done developing the Squeezebox product line. It's unlikely that you'd see anything like this for the Squeezebox.

Nikhil
2010-10-31, 14:26
Who wants to listen to lo-res music? Think about where the files for an iPod or iPhone came from. That's right, from a PC, your iTunes account (PC again), or something that was ripped to MP3. So if you already have them, why not just stream them with SBS, Doh. This Sonos thing is for people with more money then brains!

Like most of the users who frequent this forum, I find the Squeezeboxes more suited to my requirements than the Sonos setup. That said, both are excellent products and each has areas where it shines over the competition. I personally have multiple Squeezebox devices (SB2, Duet and Touch) and Sonos devices (2 ZP80s and 1 CR100). It's fine to have a preference for one product over the other, but I see no need to ridicule a competitor's product or insult the people who use them.

To your specific issues - There are a lot of people who are absolutely fine listening to lo-res music. But that is beside the point. I don't see how this product is automatically linked to poor quality or mp3. The files come from wherever you get them from, including lossless rips from your own CDs. I have friends with iPod classics full of lossless files ripped from their CDs. I can easily envisage a scenario where it would be quite convenient to plug such an iPod into a Sonos dock and listen to it through my Sonos connected through a Cyrus DAC-X or or TACT Digital Amplifier. These files would not be on my SBS and I might not want to copy them over and index every time said friends visit. I see this as quite a convenience and I see nothing lo-res about this approach. Finally to your point about money over brains - you should know that a Sonos ZP90 + Free iPhone/iPod/iPad control app at $ 350 is only about $40 more expensive than SB Touch + iPeng, so it's not that big a deal.

my 2c

Mnyb
2010-10-31, 14:37
If one have actual irl friends in meatspace teoretically *they* could come over with iThings full of music, thats the idea :)

You could advice them beforehand to bring USB drives with files instead...

That you carefully tag for 3 hours before anything sounds from the system ;)

So the idea is good a dock for friends to pop in thier iThing while visiting, I would get one even if don't have an iThings myself.