PDA

View Full Version : Questions prior to purchase

surge1977
2010-10-27, 06:45
Hi, Im looking to purchase a squeezbox touch this weekend and have a basic question.
1) Does every bit of music i listen to have to run via the pc? Basically,i have installed a set of speakers in a room and want to link them to the sb touch. all i really want to do then is connect to internet radio or napster via wi-fi and sit back. Is that possible with this device?
Cheers

aubuti
2010-10-27, 07:15
For online services like internet radio, Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody, etc you do not need to have a pc running. Those services connect to the Squeezebox via mysqueezebox.com, which acts as an intermediary for login credentials, etc. You really only need a local server running to listen to your own collection of music.

surge1977
2010-10-27, 07:18
Thanks a lot.

And to confirm, can i just plug in a set of speakers to the touch and go from there or do i need an amplifier ?

maggior
2010-10-27, 07:28
You need an amp. Think of the squeezebox like a CD player component, or a DVD player. It just provides line-level output.

surge1977
2010-10-27, 07:51
Ahh...thanks. Assuming i can control volume etc from the touch though rather than manually having to do so on the amp?

garym
2010-10-27, 08:10
Ahh...thanks. Assuming i can control volume etc from the touch though rather than manually having to do so on the amp?

yes you can use digital volume control, from the touch, from SqueezePlay running on another computer in your network, from ipeng running on your iphone, from other programs that run on other phones, etc.

toby10
2010-10-27, 08:18

Correct.
For best overall audio quality when using the Touch to control playback volume I'd suggest the following:
- turn amp volume WAY down
- max out the Touch's volume
- then adjusting the amps volume to the highest you would ever want to play it (not ear splitting, you get my drift ;))
- now back off the Touch's volume to your normal listening volume
- from then on only use Touch's volume, leave amp volume alone (or always set it to the same static volume level when utilizing the Touch's volume)

ralphpnj
2010-10-27, 10:34
Thanks a lot.

And to confirm, can i just plug in a set of speakers to the touch and go from there or do i need an amplifier ?

Another option is to use powered speakers such those made by audioengine (http://audioengineusa.com/) and others. Well worth considering when aiming for a minimalist setup.

garym
2010-10-27, 10:46
Another option is to use powered speakers such those made by audioengine (http://audioengineusa.com/) and others. Well worth considering when aiming for a minimalist setup.

agree on audioengine. I use a set of A5's connected to a touch and it is quite nice.

surge1977
2010-10-28, 02:38
Thanks for all the info. Basically, i want the squeezebox touch for my kitchen diner. Quite a big space (7m by 5m).

1)Would the audio engine 5 speakers be adequate for that size of space?
2) As these are self powered speakers would that mean i could dispense with an amp?
3) Im going to be fitting the speakers into a roofing area so do they come with a remote to turn them on/off?

Thanks

aubuti
2010-10-28, 03:50
1) I don't have personal experience with Audioengine 5 speakers, but from other reports it sounds like they will fill that space adequately.

2) Yes, they are self-powered so you do not need a separate amp.

3) Someone who has A5s should confirm or refute this, but I do not think they have a remote, but I believe they are auto-sensing and go into low-power standby mode when idle for a period of time.

More important (imo), the A5s are ported speakers, so if you enclose them in a roofing area they may not sound very good. For enclosed installations you are better off looking at speakers designed for that purpose. Most of them are not self-powered (which would take you back to an amp), although there are self-powered in-ceiling speakers. If instead you mean mounting them on brackets on (and not _in_) the ceiling or wall then the A5s should be fine. Note that you will need to think about running power cord as well as the speaker cord, and that you want to be careful with long runs of line-level cable, especially next to AC lines. For that matter, if you try to enclose any self-powered speakers you should be careful about building and electrical codes.

garym
2010-10-28, 05:24
1) I don't have personal experience with Audioengine 5 speakers, but from other reports it sounds like they will fill that space adequately.

3) Someone who has A5s should confirm or refute this, but I do not think they have a remote, but I believe they are auto-sensing and go into low-power standby mode when idle for a period of time. [no remote, volume control on FRONT of right speaker (the speaker with amp)]

More important (imo), the A5s are ported speakers, so if you enclose them in a roofing area they may not sound very good. For enclosed installations you are better off looking at speakers designed for that purpose. Most of them are not self-powered (which would take you back to an amp), although there are self-powered in-ceiling speakers. If instead you mean mounting them on brackets on (and not _in_) the ceiling or wall then the A5s should be fine. Note that you will need to think about running power cord as well as the speaker cord, and that you want to be careful with long runs of line-level cable, especially next to AC lines. For that matter, if you try to enclose any self-powered speakers you should be careful about building and electrical codes.

I use the A5's in a weekend cabin in a room about 25' x 20' and I can only turn the volume on the A5's to about 1/4 open. So yes, they will definitely fill the space.

The A5's are autosensing. If no signal is present they (amp and all) turn themselves off after some small amount of time (10 or 15 minutes I think).

I'm not sure these A5's work well if you are enclosing them in a ceiling. I don't have the info, but I know others use very small "T amps" that are about the size of a paperback book. These can be stuck in a ceiling and then feed some decent quality speakers that are made to be ceiling mounted. This might be a better approach.

garym
2010-10-28, 05:29

3) Someone who has A5s should confirm or refute this, but I do not think they have a remote, but I believe they are auto-sensing and go into low-power standby mode when idle for a period of time.

I use the A5's in a weekend cabin in a room about 25' x 20' and I can only turn the volume on the A5's to about 1/4 open. So yes, they will definitely fill the space.

The A5's are autosensing. If no signal is present they (amp and all) turn themselves off after some small amount of time (10 or 15 minutes I think). no remote...

I'm not sure these A5's work well if you are enclosing them in a ceiling. I don't have the info, but I know others use very small "T amps" that are about the size of a paperback book. These can be stuck in a ceiling and then feed some decent quality speakers that are made to be ceiling mounted. This might be a better approach.