PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Revue--first impressions (longish post)

rgro
2010-10-26, 10:36
As promised.....I received my Revue yesterday. I'd done some pre-installation research on the Logitech Revue support pages and, because we are Comcast customers, it seemed possible that the Revue and our Motorola settop box might not play nicely when routing everything via HDMI through our AV receiver. It's also worth noting that our internet connection is DSL.

The setup process was quite painless. Because of our physical setup (one of our reasons for buying the Revue), I planned on using our wireless network. The longest part of the setup, once connected up to our wireless network, was waiting 15 min for the software to update. Indeed, it turned out to be the case that I could not run a chain from our settop cable box/dvr, through the AVR, to the Revue, and out to the TV. So, per the Logitech instructions (and having to run out and purchase an optical cable) I wired it up and was ultimately successful at achieving full functionality.

If I'd not had to go through the setup twice, I think the whole process would have been 25 min---I paired the IR keyboard with both our cable box and AVR so I can control all functions from the Revue keyboard and this involved inputing model numbers, etc. The rest of the settup was simple.

Functionally, it works great, though I'm still coming up the learning curve. We have watched regular hi-def cable tv and viewed a Netflix movie (surprisingly good quality) from start to finish with nary a hiccup. This morning I tried streaming a movie, streaming some 24/96 audio to the Touch, and browsing the web---all simultaneously---and, based on a sample size of one, none of the functions were impaired.

Last night I was also able to use the Logitech Medial Player---one of the apps that come with the Revue---to access music and photo files on my computer. I had some homemade videos but the Revue does not, as yet, have the codecs to play them (it said they're working on getting them). Also, the media player would play my mp3 files just fine, but could not even see, much less play, any of the FLAC files. This was expected.

The Chrome browser works just as it would on one's PC and I had no problem with getting both Netflix and Pandora--the two apps that I have subscriptions to---to function. The Netflix setup was a two step process that involved inputing a code on my PC, then going back to the Revue to finish things up.

The touch pad on the supplied keyboard (which I like a lot!) takes a bit of getting used to as there is no "double tap" for "enter" (takes a button push like my wife's Mac). As well, there are some minor navigation head-scratchers, and sometimes the graphics don't seem to quite refresh as I would expect---there seem to be some ghost images left when navigating between certain screens.

All in all, I'm quite pleased and, for our purposes---which are mainly to be able to stream movies----it's already working great. I haven't explored many of the apps and some of the other functionalities of it but, so far, it's a really cool bit of kit!!

Mark Miksis
2010-10-26, 10:49
Have you tried the iPhone/Android app?

Mine arrives tomorrow but I'll be out of town for 2 days before I can really play with it. I'm expecting to be disappointed by the fact that the keyboard is not RF.

rgro
2010-10-26, 11:18
Have you tried the iPhone/Android app?

Mine arrives tomorrow but I'll be out of town for 2 days before I can really play with it. I'm expecting to be disappointed by the fact that the keyboard is not RF.

When it comes to my phones, I'm decidedly low-tech, so no experience w/Iphone or Android. Our watching station is immediately in front of and about 5 feet from the Revue, so the IR keyboard works fine for us and is not an issue.

I suspect, that unless you're a Dish customer, the whole issue with settop box compatibility (I don't think any of the Motorola boxes that Comcast uses are compatible with more than 2 HDMI hops) is going to be bit of a headache for Revue tech support. But following their workaround to the letter (assuming one has an optical out on one's cable box) gave us the desired result.

erland
2010-10-26, 12:24
streaming some 24/96 audio to the Touch

I must have missed something, does the Revue have a music server built-in ?

All in all, I'm quite pleased and, for our purposes---which are mainly to be able to stream movies----it's already working great. I haven't explored many of the apps and some of the other functionalities of it but, so far, it's a really cool bit of kit!!

How is the user interface ?
From the early beta testing videos that were posted on YouTube it felt a bit geeky, technical and a bit unstructured. Is this still the situation or have they been able to clean it up so it's also usable for non technical users ?

rgro
2010-10-26, 12:41
I must have missed something, does the Revue have a music server built-in?

Sorry if I confused you. I was just trying to test our wireless network's capacity to support both audio, video, and net browsing all at the same time. The 24/96 audio stream was only playing through the Touch and SBS running on my server...had nothing to do with the Revue. Thought, as I pointed out, the Revue does have the Media Player that will at least play mp3 files.

How is the user interface ?
From the early beta testing videos that were posted on YouTube it felt a bit geeky, technical and a bit unstructured. Is this still the situation or have they been able to clean it up so it's also usable for non technical users ?

I wouldn't call it elegant nor would I call it geeky or over-technical...more to the functional side. Most of it is straightforward but there are a few oddities when trying to get back to something from where you are. I don't think I've played with it enough to form a strong opinion and the "wife test" hasn't happened yet....I've been doing the driving on the Revue so far (but she IS liking the Touch quite a bit as contrasted with the Duet Controller!).

I think Logitech is taking over our home...I hope they don't kick us out ;>)

Ikabob
2010-10-26, 13:42
Thanks for the review Rick. I will be interested to hear just what the Review can do as compared to just a regular cable TV wuth the NetFlix Roku box. Are there more channels that are opened up ie,channels in different cities etc? Thanks again. Ron

rgro
2010-10-26, 14:02
Thanks for the review Rick. I will be interested to hear just what the Review can do as compared to just a regular cable TV wuth the NetFlix Roku box. Are there more channels that are opened up ie,channels in different cities etc? Thanks again. Ron

If I understand what you're asking, the answer is no. My cable TV channels are still the ones that Comcast offers with my package and I don't believe the Revue has the capability to pull in broadcast or cable channels from some other locale (a la internet radio), unless that station would happen to be broadcasating over the internet and I'm not aware that any TV stations or channels do that---YET.

What the Revue does do, that I think is o.k., now, but will be way more important in the future, is give you full web browser capability. So, if I want to look at You Tube vids, the videos I have up on my own small business' website, etc. I can do all of that. And, finally, when, in a hypothetical example, NZ1 in Auckland starts broadcasting its programming live over the web, I'll be able to get it.

I suspect that products like the Revue/Google TV are going to hasten along and drive some very interesting and wide-ranging changes regarding video (although I don't profess to know what they are, specifically). With the ability to have full web access plus whatever apps Logitech either has already included, or will include in the future, I feel somewhat comfortable that the Revue is reasonably future-proof. I don't think that can be said, at this moment, for the Roku boxes, or any of the other products that don't offer full web browser capability---this one of a couple very specific reasons why, for my particular way of thinking about all this, I chose the Revue over the Roku product.