PDA

View Full Version : IR port as a hardwire input?

Ozob
2010-10-24, 09:59
Searching did not reveal the answer to my question:

Does the IR port on the back of the Squeezebox Classic (internal antenna kind) be used to control the device via a hard wire connection attached to a Xantech type IR emitter output jack?

My configuration requires the device to be placed within a closed cabinet. I realize an emitter can be stuck on the face to establish control, but I'm uncertain about the port characteristics. My impression is that it can be used as an emitter output device to allow for control of other components via software commands, but that is not my plan. I'm just trying to avoid a stick on emitter on the face of the Squeezebox.

Regards.

aubuti
2010-10-24, 18:06
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I think I do so I'll give it a whack. The SB3/Classic's IR capability is to send/relay IR signals through the headphone output to an IR emitter (Xantech or similar brand). The idea is to use the SB's IR remote to control an amplifier or receiver. There is no way to send the SB3 IR signals through any of its ports -- only the IR receiver works for this.

They do make IR relay devices that will do what you want to do, but that would require sticking an emitter outside the cabinet and one on the face of the SB, which you don't want to do. A better alternative is to use one of the many wifi devices to control the SB without requiring line of sight. The most popular is to use an iPhone or iPod Touch with the iPeng app. There are also apps that enable Android mobile phones to work as SB controllers. And of course, there is the SB Controller itself, which is part of the SB Duet, but can be bough separately.

Ozob
2010-10-24, 20:07
I should make it more simple..

Is the headphone/IR port an output device, or can it be used as an input for a hard wired connection to a xantech controller normally used to power ir emitters. Many devices permit hard wire inputs versus ir emitter stick ons. Makes them more reliable.

Wirrunna
2010-10-24, 20:32
Never heard or read of the Headphone jack being used as an IR input, only output.
I use one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5432 to control my NAD amp in a vented cupboard, SB3 sits in the open on top.

aubuti
2010-10-24, 21:35
I should make it more simple..

Is the headphone/IR port an output device, or can it be used as an input for a hard wired connection to a xantech controller normally used to power ir emitters. Many devices permit hard wire inputs versus ir emitter stick ons. Makes them more reliable.
Sorry, but I don't know how to say it more simply than "There is no way to send the SB3 IR signals through any of its ports." The headphone/IR port is strictly, exclusively output only. The only way to get IR signals to the SB3 is via the IR receiver "eye" on the front panel.

Ozob
2010-10-25, 03:40
Okay. Thanks for the information. Plan B it is then.