PDA

View Full Version : I need a new internet radio

alan sh
2010-10-23, 02:22
I have a cheap internet radio box that works fine using my wireless network. However, I was informed by my better half (she who must be obeyed) that she can no longer get BBC radio 2 since they are not streaming to the internet anymore.

I did some investigation and they assume everyone has an iPlayer capable PC...

More investigation and it may be that the Squeezebox touch with some form of server on a PC will do it. I do have a Windows 2008 server which is doing some web hosting and has lots of spare capacity.

So, what do I need to do to get this working so I can have my internet radio (I like prog-rock), Norma has her Radio 2 and I can also listen to my stored music?

Basically, what software do I need on my W2k8 server and will the Touch be able to pick it up?

Thanks for any advice

Alan

toby10
2010-10-23, 04:06
I'll let others comment on installing/using SqueezeBox Server on your WHS machine.

But just so you are aware, you don't even need a computer to listen to BBC Radio 2.
Your SqueezeBox player (Boom or Radio) can just connect to the free MySqueezeBox.com server online.

bpa
2010-10-23, 05:13
The standard Touch, Radio and Boom can play BBC live streams and BBC podcasts.

For Touch and Radio - there is a 3rd party (user developed) applet which can be installed and then you can select and play any of the iPlayer "Listen Again" programs again without the need for a PC. You need a PC to access iPlayer "Listen Again" with Boom.

alan sh
2010-10-23, 06:48
Excellent. So, ordering the Touch sounds like the way to go (I like the little extras it has over the normal SB)

thanks all for the help. I'll report back when it arrives and is installed.

Alan

stagrider
2010-10-27, 03:33
The standard Touch, Radio and Boom can play BBC live streams and BBC podcasts.

For Touch and Radio - there is a 3rd party (user developed) applet which can be installed and then you can select and play any of the iPlayer "Listen Again" programs again without the need for a PC. You need a PC to access iPlayer "Listen Again" with Boom.

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but I recently bought a Squeezebox Touch to replace my old AE internet radio which stopped working 'cos it can't cope with wireless-n networks ! Anyway I love the squeezebox touch except that at present I can only play BBC On-Demand if I have a computer running squeezebox server with the IPlayer Applet installed. Can anyone point me at the instrunctions for installing an IPlayer Applet directly onto the Squeezebox Touch ? I am a competent Unix admin so I've already figured out how to transfer files onto the Touch - but I just need to find the applet and know where to put the files ? Sorry if this has been covered before but when I search I just keep finding stuff that says you can do it and nothing that tells me how to do it ?

Thanks for any help ?

Regards

Mikep

bpa
2010-10-27, 03:47
On Touch - Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer and then uncheck "recommended Applets Only". You should now get the option to install "BBC Radio". Once installed and Touch reboots it will appear in the Internet Radio Menu as "BBC Radio"

alan sh
2010-10-28, 13:13
Mine arrived today and it's in and working. I installed the BBC radio app from 'mysqueezebox' site and it appeared on my touch. Radio 2 works just fine and I can operate it from my PC via the web site as well.

So far, so good....

Alan

stagrider
2010-10-30, 05:01
On Touch - Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer and then uncheck "recommended Applets Only". You should now get the option to install "BBC Radio". Once installed and Touch reboots it will appear in the Internet Radio Menu as "BBC Radio"

Hi Alan, I have that BBC app but as far as I can tell that only lets you play "live" broadcasts. What I am after is an IPlayer applet like the one I can use when the Touch is connected to my laptop squeezebox server - with that you can replay programs you have missed ("on-demand"). I just don't know where to find the applet and how to install it on the Touch's Linux operating system. I have worked out how to get files onto the Touch from my laptop using the Samba share and I can then copy files whereever I like on the Touch by logging into it as root using ssh. But I just don't know where to grab the Iplayer for Touch applet from and where to place it on the Touch so it works !

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Mike

bpa
2010-10-30, 05:23
I have that BBC app but as far as I can tell that only lets you play "live" broadcasts. What I am after is an IPlayer applet like the one I can use when the Touch is connected to my laptop squeezebox server

No - the BBC App which just gives live radio is under My Apps menu and installed from Apps Gallery. The applet for "Listen Again" is installed from the Settings/Advanced menu and "BBC Radio" is found under Internet Radio - not My Apps.

stagrider
2010-10-30, 14:26

Hey BPA, you are the man ! Now I actually followed your instructions I am up and running with BBC listen again. With that sorted I can now conclude that this Squeezebox Touch really is a very cool little device and I am delighted with it. Awesome sound and realy nice easy to use interface. Very happy.

Thanks again and sorry I didn't read more carefully the first time !
Mike