PDA

View Full Version : Sb Touch Ethernet - Static IP with no router no longer works?

woodnut
2010-10-22, 13:38
Hello,

For some reason I can now no longer use the SB Touch connected by ethernet cable to my Sheevaplug with static IP addresses. Worked fine before but I get an error message now. It works with a router in the equation.

Has something been changed in the latest drivers?

If so can I get back to a later version as I preferred running it without the router.

Many thanks

JohnSwenson
2010-10-22, 15:41
Hello,

For some reason I can now no longer use the SB Touch connected by ethernet cable to my Sheevaplug with static IP addresses. Worked fine before but I get an error message now. It works with a router in the equation.

Has something been changed in the latest drivers?

If so can I get back to a later version as I preferred running it without the router.

Many thanks

What firmware version are you running?

John S.

woodnut
2010-10-23, 04:45
Hello John,

Thanks. It is 7.6.0 R9103 according to the general info section on the SB Touch. Is that where I find the version of the firmware?

To be honest I get confused between the firmware version, software version of the Touch and the Sheevaplug. Are these all one and the same?

I think it did after one of the automatic updates of the firmware on the Touch this stopped working. Was a while ago now but I have only just got round to trying to find out why an if I can go back to a previous version easily because it was running fine and I didn't need to use a router at all.

Many thanks.

JohnSwenson
2010-10-23, 19:44
Hello John,

Thanks. It is 7.6.0 R9103 according to the general info section on the SB Touch. Is that where I find the version of the firmware?

To be honest I get confused between the firmware version, software version of the Touch and the Sheevaplug. Are these all one and the same?

I think it did after one of the automatic updates of the firmware on the Touch this stopped working. Was a while ago now but I have only just got round to trying to find out why an if I can go back to a previous version easily because it was running fine and I didn't need to use a router at all.

Many thanks.
OK you are running 7.6 which is unstable, it lots of fixes for things and does certain things better, but it actively being worked on, anything may go bad at any time, its primarily for people that want to test out the latest and greatest stuff while its being worked on.

At this point you have two choices, go to the beta forum and let them know the problem so it can get debugged and fixed, or go back to using 7.5.1 which is a stable release.

To change the relese you have to change the server version, reinstal the server with the 7.5.1 version and it will automatically instal the 7.5.1 firmware on the Touch.

John S.

woodnut
2010-10-24, 02:43
thanks for that john.

I was afraid that might be the case.

For some reason whenever I tried the standard 7.5 installtion for the Sheevaplug the whole system ran very slow and did not feel stable. 7.6 however is so much quicker and smoother in the menus and scans.

I thought that this might be that SQL Lite used in 7.6 was the reason for this.

I did see someone else mention this same issue on the squeezeplug thread but I cannot find the post anymore and I don't think anybody commented on it. I was under the impression the the code had been actively changed to prevent use without a router for some reason. Shame anyway.

JohnSwenson
2010-10-25, 10:59
I haven't been keeping up on all the 7.6 stuff.

Well first off IF you are wired and the server and the Touch are on the same subnet it should make no difference whether there is a router or not. If they are on the same subnet the router is not doing anything. The only thing the router can be doing is giving out IP addresses with DHCP.

So just look up the IP addresses of the Sheevaplug and the Touch and make sure they are on the same subnet.

If the issue is that you cannot manually set the IP address of either of those, then we need to look further. They are both running linux which means you CAN manually set the IP address even if there is no fancy GUI method to do it.

John S.

woodnut
2010-10-26, 12:42
Thats interesting. As far as I can tell I am doing things the same way I did before. Giving the Squeezeplug a static address and then telling the SB Touch to assign its own IP address. It worked no problems before but now I get a message about needing an internet connection or something. I shll try it again, perhaps it is just me.

I will find out what the message says.

JohnSwenson
2010-10-26, 15:26
Thats interesting. As far as I can tell I am doing things the same way I did before. Giving the Squeezeplug a static address and then telling the SB Touch to assign its own IP address. It worked no problems before but now I get a message about needing an internet connection or something. I shll try it again, perhaps it is just me.

I will find out what the message says.

If you are running without a router both the server and the Touch need a static address. It MIGHT have worked if the sheevaplug was configured to have a DHCP server, which would give the Touch an address.

At least on 7.5 firmware if the Touch booted and was connected (by wire) to some other computer, AND there was no router or computer acting as a DHCP server, it would go into a setup static IP screen. (the easiest way to do this was to connect a wire from the Touch to a laptop, and make sure the laptop had wifi turned off). This might be what has changed in 7.6. If this is the case you can still set the static IP address, but you have to SSH into the Touch and edit a file.

John S.

woodnut
2010-11-07, 07:52
Hello,

I have now got the Touch and Squeezeplug running once again without the router. After using the router in the middle I simply unplugged the router and connected them directly and it continued to work.

Previously I was given the option on the SB Touch for it to assign an IP address to itself and this worked, now it doesn;t for some reason but entering one in manually does work.

It would seem that once the router has given the Squeezeplug an IP address and either I (Or the Router) have given the Touch an IP address everything is fine as long as the Squeezeplug stays switched on as obviously reseting it does wipe that IP address. My squeezeplug is always on so this isn't an issue. The SB Touch can be switeched on and off but still connects fine after this. I have tried entering static IP info in the Squeezeplug setup as this was how it all worked previously but either I am entering something wrong or something has changed because it doesn't work for me.

Anyhow it is probably a slightly incorrect way to arrive at where I wanted to be (SB Touch + Squeezeplug without a router) but I am there.

Thanks,