PDA

View Full Version : Utility for downloading album art

Freddy
2010-10-18, 12:42
Hi, first post!

I created a little tool for downloading album art and put it in the corresponding album folder. So far is it only working with MP3 files.

I did this to get album art available in iPeng.

This is the functionality:
* Scans a root directory for mp3 albums (only).
* Reads the id3v2 tag on one track to get Artist + Album name.
* Using information above, download images from Google.
* Presents the result for the user for selection.
* Copy selected file as Album.jpg into album folder.

A "fast mode" is also available, then it takes the first hit on Google and copy that one, without presenting it for the user first. (Can give funny results sometimes ;))

Does anyone know if a similar utility exist?, then I can drop this little project and use that one instead :)
If not, I might do some further testing and then release it for public.

I don't want to embed the album art into the file.

/Freddy

bluegaspode
2010-10-18, 12:57
I recently stumbled over 'Bliss' and wrote a blog post about it:

http://www.squeezepad.com/2010/10/how-to-upgrade-coverart-to-a-higher-resolution/

It searches on Discogs, MusicBrainz, Amazon and Google.
(Google pictures are the worst by the way)

Even in manual mode it finds artwork automatically for all album that don't have any artwork at all.
For albums with artwork you can easily choose, which one to use.

I'm also interested in other tools.

Freddy
2010-10-18, 13:12
Great, thanks!
I will look into Bliss.
Yes I know that Google images can be crappy sometimes.
But for iPeng they are good enough I think.

I only have a Boom and a Classic so I've had no opportunity to test on another unit.

brucegrr
2010-10-19, 13:20
I use album art downloader.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/album-art/index.php?title=Main_Page

Freddy
2010-10-19, 13:35
That one seems to be really nice!

How easy is it to work with?
Can it smoothly bulk download covers and put them in album folders?

brucegrr
2010-10-19, 15:28
Yes, it downloads the covers and puts them in the appropriate folder. A little quirky to use at first but works great. Reading the online help files was very, well.....helpful. :)

MillmoorRon
2010-10-20, 12:47
Another Album Art Downloader recommendation. A bit awkward to set up to your liking but once sorted works very well.

apn
2010-10-22, 07:26
Another Album Art Downloader recommendation. A bit awkward to set up to your liking but once sorted works very well.

I second that motion...

pski
2010-10-22, 16:26
Hi, first post!

I created a little tool for downloading album art and put it in the corresponding album folder. So far is it only working with MP3 files.

I did this to get album art available in iPeng.

This is the functionality:
* Scans a root directory for mp3 albums (only).
* Reads the id3v2 tag on one track to get Artist + Album name.
* Using information above, download images from Google.
* Presents the result for the user for selection.
* Copy selected file as Album.jpg into album folder.

A "fast mode" is also available, then it takes the first hit on Google and copy that one, without presenting it for the user first. (Can give funny results sometimes ;))

Does anyone know if a similar utility exist?, then I can drop this little project and use that one instead :)
If not, I might do some further testing and then release it for public.

I don't want to embed the album art into the file.

/Freddy

Look !

It's hard to fault the "find album art" plug-in.

Admittedly, you have to sign-up for an Amazon Web Services account but the setup instructions are fine.

If you want to do the whole collection (and put up with iTunes F/Ups,) find the saveitunesartwork.js. Just hold shift while starting iTunes and make a new library that points to your music and sign-up with Apple and ....

P

Freddy
2010-10-30, 04:00
Look !

It's hard to fault the "find album art" plug-in.

Admittedly, you have to sign-up for an Amazon Web Services account but the setup instructions are fine.

If you want to do the whole collection (and put up with iTunes F/Ups,) find the saveitunesartwork.js. Just hold shift while starting iTunes and make a new library that points to your music and sign-up with Apple and ....

P

Thanks for the suggestion, but I guess this means I have to use the iTunes Library?

garym
2010-10-30, 04:48
Thanks for the suggestion, but I guess this means I have to use the iTunes Library?

no, you can find all the art, but not use itunes integration with SbS. But keep in mind that itunes dumps its art in a special database. You'll need to get those files embedded into your tracks somehow. Then any program can see the artwork. google "automatically embed itunes art" and you'll see info on this.

Freddy
2010-10-30, 04:53
no, you can find all the art, but not use itunes integration with SbS. But keep in mind that itunes dumps its art in a special database. You'll need to get those files embedded into your tracks somehow. Then any program can see the artwork. google "automatically embed itunes art" and you'll see info on this.

OK, I think I understand,
Embedded art is exactly what I don't want.
I want the cover art to be in the album folder as jpeg.

/F

garym
2010-10-30, 04:57
OK, I think I understand,
Embedded art is exactly what I don't want.
I want the cover art to be in the album folder as jpeg.

/F

Understand. will the album art downloader do this for you? If not, keep in mind that with "mp3tag" or dbpoweramp you can use a few mouse clicks to move embedded art to the album folder then remove as embedded art. Can all be done in a batch so very simple.

elstensoftware
2010-10-31, 08:49
If you want to try bliss, there's the option for ignoring (or even removing existing) embedded art and a co-located file is always saved.

Freddy
2010-10-31, 12:30
While testing all these different utilities I also completed the first version of my own tool. It is no way near as rich on functions as the other but does the trick for me. It downloads covers (good enough for iPeng)

If anyone wants to try it out, it’s attached.
It requires .NET 2.0 or greater and it’s tested on Win 7/Vista 64-bit and Win XP 32-bit

As stated earlier it fetch the cover art from Google.

Basically there are only 5 settings:

• Overwrite = If Album.jpg exist it will overwrite the file
• Skip VA = Will skip folders starting with VA- or VA_-
• Fast Mode = Takes the first match only
• Set Temp Dir = Set temp directory for picture download
• Set Root Dir = Set root directory for the albums you want to scan

Limitations:
• Beta 1
• Only for mp3´s
• Only jpg´s
• Cover quality is low in some cases

Beware that the temp directory is cleaned of all jpgs after processing. So picking “My Pictures” folder as temp directory maybe isn’t the best choice :)

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3521/squeeze.jpg

As always, this comes “as-is” without any warranties

elstensoftware
2010-11-01, 02:09
Nice work Freddy! Where does your software download the art from? In case it's of use I made a list of sources for album art (http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/04/06/what-are-the-best-websites-for-album-art-/). Not sure if that's useful or if you have more to add.

Freddy
2010-11-01, 12:19
Nice work Freddy! Where does your software download the art from? In case it's of use I made a list of sources for album art (http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/04/06/what-are-the-best-websites-for-album-art-/). Not sure if that's useful or if you have more to add.

Thanks!
Today the program only have Google as source.
I will have a look at your blog post about the sources. (and try out bliss, it looks really interesting!)

spile
2010-11-03, 03:51
Album Art Downloader XUI works best for me in the sense that it more automatoed than others i tried...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=57392

danull
2010-11-03, 09:37
Thanks!
Today the program only have Google as source.
I will have a look at your blog post about the sources. (and try out bliss, it looks really interesting!)

This thread inspired me to try Bliss. It worked very well and automatically got album art and saved it as cover.* for 1300 of my 1500 albums. For the 200 albums it didn't do it made finding the art a little easier than it would be searching with a browser for about 50 of the albums, and the other 150 I had to find the image manually and plug the link in for Bliss so I would say it didn't help me for 10% of my albums.

The user interface leaves a lot to be desired but the program works and doing all of this manually would have taken years off my life (and other competing programs did other things I didn't like)... so overall I'm happy with it - thanks to whoever brought it up earlier because I'd never heard of it before now.

-Dan

elstensoftware
2010-11-04, 00:30
Hey Dan, glad to hear you found it useful. Could you let me know what elements of the interface you found difficult to use or you generally disliked? Then I can fix them.

Mr. Floppy
2010-11-04, 01:22
I use album art downloader.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/album-art/index.php?title=Main_Page
I use it too. Best tool for that....:-)