PDA

View Full Version : Squeezeplay for iTouch or iPhone

rawdon51
2010-10-15, 01:15
Hi all. Very happily using Squeezebox duet + iTouch/iPeng for home audio system. Also recently hooked up my work laptop in a remote garden office via HomePlug networking, using Squeezeplay to allow me to play any song on my iMac-based library through my laptop.

My family has a couple of other iTouches around the house and as I was thinking about Christmas presents (...sad, I know...) I started thinking about Squeezebox booms & radios. But then I though, well, if I could get a Squeezeplay app for their iTouches, they could just use their iTouches as remote receivers in conjunction with their existing docks.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've looked into AirFoil, but to be honest it seems a bit cumbersome when compared to Squeezebox/Squeezeplay, and now you can get Spotify through Squeezebox I can't really see a reason for AirFoil.

Thoughts please......Thanks.

pippin
2010-10-15, 01:38
Have a look at SqueezeCast. It has a somewhat limited UI and does crash from time to time but apart from that it works quite well.
As soon as it's running you can send it to the background on iOS4 (if your iThingy supports multitasking) and control it with iPeng.

rawdon51
2010-10-15, 05:13
Cool, thanks for that, will take a look

the nightfly
2012-08-26, 17:21
SqueezeCast works fine on a standard install but requires access to the CLI port. If you have a LinkStation Pro NAS device, which comes with a pre-installed version of SBS but blocks the CLI port, you're SOL with that app. (This may be the case with other SBS/LMS installs on an NAS or anything other than a standard PC.) It would be better to have an iOS/Android player that could do everything through the HTTP port instead.

aubuti
2012-08-26, 17:37
If you have a LinkStation Pro NAS device, which comes with a pre-installed version of SBS but blocks the CLI port, you're SOL with that app. (This may be the case with other SBS/LMS installs on an NAS or anything other than a standard PC.)
That's an overly-broad brush you're painting with. For example, I used to use a different LinkStation Pro NAS, which did not come with SBS/LMS pre-installed, and does not block the CLI port. If opening up the CLI port on that NAS is important to you then you may wish to look into doing your own installation of SBS or LMS on the NAS that won't have that restriction. There is nothing about NASs that inherently prevents access to the CLI port.

pippin
2012-08-26, 18:47
SqueezeCast works fine on a standard install but requires access to the CLI port. If you have a LinkStation Pro NAS device, which comes with a pre-installed version of SBS but blocks the CLI port, you're SOL with that app. (This may be the case with other SBS/LMS installs on an NAS or anything other than a standard PC.) It would be better to have an iOS/Android player that could do everything through the HTTP port instead.

iPeng does only use the HTTP port for control and the Streaming port (3483) for playback, just like the Squeezebox itself.
It doesn't use the CLI port.

I don't think SqueezeCast is still under a lot of development, judging by it's update history.

the nightfly
2012-08-26, 19:36
iPeng does only use the HTTP port for control and the Streaming port (3483) for playback, just like the Squeezebox itself.
It doesn't use the CLI port.

I don't think SqueezeCast is still under a lot of development, judging by it's update history.

Thank you!!! I had only known of iPeng as a remote control for SB devices; I didn't know it had added playback capability. I just purchased both, and find it's streaming everything from my NAS just fine, including Hi-Res music that won't play on SqueezePlay on my PCs. You just saved me from trying to hack LinkStation or, more likely, returning it and trying a different product!

pippin
2012-08-26, 19:58
Thank you!!! I had only known of iPeng as a remote control for SB devices; I didn't know it had added playback capability. I just purchased both, and find it's streaming everything from my NAS just fine, including Hi-Res music that won't play on SqueezePlay on my PCs. You just saved me from trying to hack LinkStation or, more likely, returning it and trying a different product!

Have fun with it :)
iPeng originally was remote control only but we added playback 1 1/2 years ago and HD playback a few months ago.