PDA

View Full Version : Defining custom labels/category for songs?

wildgoose
2010-10-14, 17:33
Does the SB or Sonos offer any ability to categorize your songs into user defined category? I am talking about being able to label a song belonging to multiple category (similar to the 'label' concept in gmail, or the groups for contacts)

For example, I want to define

* my music
* my wife's music
* baby music

Within each category one can define sub-categories. A song can belong to multiple categories. I would like to be able to do this without touching the mp3 file itself. (for example, a squeezebox.ini file in the directory where the songs reside with with this information for each song. ok, wishful thinking, but this is a lot better than some DB entry that get's wiped on a full-rescan)

This, plus rating information for the song, would allow me to partition my music into different sets, disjoint or not, and playing back certain category easily..

* play baby->sleeping songs of 4+ rating
* play my->classical music->random

Do such things already exist? I am trying TrackStat, but I can't rate the songs using the remote on the Touch, and I can't figure out how to rate it in the WebUI.

garym
2010-10-15, 04:36
Have you tried the multilibrary plugin to create the three different music libraries you desire?

wildgoose
2010-10-15, 14:41
Yes I tried it. However it doesn't work with songs with non-english artist/filenames (shows up garbled). The song did show up correctly in regular SC web interface..

It will be nice if rating/category is an integral part of SB.

snarlydwarf
2010-10-15, 14:59
Yes I tried it. However it doesn't work with songs with non-english artist/filenames (shows up garbled). The song did show up correctly in regular SC web interface..

Hrrm.. it works for me and I have plenty of non-English artists/titles/filenames.

I split my music and my wife's music with MultiLibrary (based on path name).

I subdivide my stuff with multiple tags in the Genre field. (Technically not all of them are Genres, I'm using them more like keywords, mixing proper genres with tags like 'live', or specific instrumentation like 'solo piano'...)

It will be nice if rating/category is an integral part of SB.

Yes, Erland filed a wishlist on that long ago... The bad thing is that Erland's plugins are perhaps too good in that respect -- adding something to the API to make his life easier would probably benefit no one but Erland since no one has gone anywhere near the complexity of his plugins. (Sorry, Erland, but you know that's true... it is a compliment though: your work is so good no one else needs an API since no one will come close to your contribution...)