PDA

View Full Version : strange behavior Touch

the cosmic gate
2010-10-11, 09:57
If i played radio for about 6 hours connected to mysqueezebox.com and the day after i want to connect the touch to a squeezebox server .Then there's no sound playing.When a pull out the power plug and reconect it (some kind of reset) everything seems to be okay .
The playing time bar says its playing etc.
Everything seems to be okay but a had to reset the touch everyday to get some sound from it ?
The squeezebox server specs: server 2008R2 , SB server version 7.5.1

toby10
2010-10-11, 11:57
Let me see if I understand this...

Touch is connected to MySquuezeBox.com online streaming radio, next day you select My Music > *switch to SBS server on your computer*, select a song from your own library, and you get no audio?

the cosmic gate
2010-10-11, 13:37
Yes thats the problem

JohnSwenson
2010-10-11, 16:19
Could you give us a little more information on your setup and what you have done. Specifically what type of computer (mac/PC what OS) SBS is running on, what file type your files are and how you selected the music to listen to (did you perform a search, go through music folder etc)

Thanks,

John S.

TerryS
2010-10-11, 18:19
This sounds like what was happening to me when I was connecting to Pandora directly from the touch and did not have MySqueezebox.com configured on the Squeezebox Server. Once I set up MySqueezebox.com on the Squeezebox server, I could connect to it through the server and everything works great.

Terry

the cosmic gate
2010-10-12, 00:24
The OS is server 2008 r2 standaard.
What i've done:
Try to (re) flash the newest firmware to the touch.
Try to connect the touch with other cables (digital / analog)
I played from my music so i don't use the search function
The file types : mp3 or flac doesnt matter witch one first
I try to reconnect to mysqueezebox and directly / again to sb server, still no sound

When i plug out the power plug and replug it erverything play's directly

damian.duffy
2010-10-12, 15:33
The OS is server 2007 r2 standaard.
What i've done:
Try to (re) flash the newest firmware to the touch.
Try to connect the touch with other cables (digital / analog)
I played from my music so i don't use the search function
The file types : mp3 or flac doesnt matter witch one first
I try to reconnect to mysqueezebox and directly / again to sb server, still no sound

When i plug out the power plug and replug it erverything play's directly

I'm having the same problem. I'll watch this thread with interest

the cosmic gate
2010-10-12, 23:06
Oke here must be more people with this problem ,i think so?
But the solution .....

the cosmic gate
2010-10-13, 13:18
today i happens again :(
Hope there's a solution, because i don't like it to reset the touch everyday

toby10
2010-10-13, 16:10
today i happens again :(
Hope there's a solution, because i don't like it to reset the touch everyday

All I can say is that this never happens on my Touch. I freely and regularly switch between SBS, MySB, TinySC, and I've never experienced your issue.
To test your issue to the extreme, today I switched back and forth between SBS and MySB ten times (each) and it played as soon as I selected something to play after each switch.

Short of calling support I don't know what else to suggest. :(

Try a different cable? Different audio out? Different audio Input on your AVR?

Dunno.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-10-15, 05:10
Ive had the same problem with my Touch. I went to play from my library on the computer and there was no sound even though the Touch showed it was playing music.I switched to mysqueezebox,played a internet radio channel and the sound was back.I never unplugged any cables.

I then went back to the squeezebox server and then sound came back on. This has happened twice so far.Ill bet I can duplicate this issue easily.

Im runnning a Mac,snow leopard.Latest squeezebox software.

the cosmic gate
2010-10-23, 07:34
today again the same problem.I connect the touch from mySB.com to the server and no sound, when i switch back to mysb.com there's sounds, and after that i switch again to the server everything is working well :( seems to be a software/fimrware problem ?

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-10-23, 14:19
today again the same problem.I connect the touch from mySB.com to the server and no sound, when i switch back to mysb.com there's sounds, and after that i switch again to the server everything is working well :( seems to be a software/fimrware problem ?

Yeah ,it's very likely a software bug. I hope they fix it with the next update.

rgro
2010-10-23, 16:36
Yeah ,it's very likely a software bug. I hope they fix it with the next update.

I've actually had the same problem, occasionaly. I leave SBS on 100% of the time running on my main computer (Win 7). On that computer I have it set to "never sleep" but I do have the monitor set to sleep after 10 min of non-use. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe most of the time the issue with the Touch occurs after I've used the main computer and left it. It seems (this is only my layman's theory!) that when the monitor goes to sleep something else happens to interrupt the Touch's connections with SBS. I'm suspicious, now, that the "never" sleep is not quite the all-encompassing "never" that it professes to be. I'm wondering if something about the monitor going to sleep is also turning off the NIC (or something else) at the same time.....then when I reconnect with the Touch it wakes it up again (why I have to go to Mysb.com and back again to effect this is a completely mystery).

At that point if the Touch has been playing music, it plays whatever's playing at the time and then stops, even if there are more tunes in the playlist. Then, nothing will start playing again..same as the op, if I then switch over to mysb.com and then back to "My Music", then everything's works flawlessly again. The odd thing is that once I've connected back to sbs again and haven't used the computer, even though I may stop playing music for a time, the Touch seems to hold the connection with the computer/SBS.

Maybe this is all a red herring, but it seems to happen regularly enough that I think there's something going on and it may not have as much to do with the Touch as it does with how SBS and my computer/sleep function are playing. I'm ready for one of the cleverer folks here to tell me I'm totally on the wrong track, but it'd sure be nice to get to the bottom of this.

JohnSwenson
2010-10-23, 22:44
The only thing that comes to mind here is that its an issue with wake on LAN (WOL). It may be that the switch back feo mysb.com sends out the WOL message. I don't have this problem with my server so I've never looked into WOL.

You might want to look at the Touch logs to see if its sending out WOL on the mysb switch. I'm not sure when the Touch is supposed to send out the WOL message, other people here use it and can be of more help with WOL.

To look at the Touch logs there are two ways, the easiest is probably to SSH in to the Touch. To do this you need PuTTY (a free windows program, grab it from the web). Before using it you need to enable remote acces on the Touch (settings->advanced->Remote Login). This will give you a password (usually 1234). While you are on the Touch get its IP address (settings->advanced->diagnostics). Start up PuTTY, enter the IP address. It will then ask for the username, type in root. Then it will ask for a password, type in 1234. You should now be logged into the Touch. Type:
cd /var/log
less messages

You should now be seeing the log file, scroll down to the bottom of the file and work your way back up, looking for connection and WOL messages. This should give a hint what is happening. To get out of the log file type 'q' (the Q key, without shift). Go through the process, wait awhile, try to play music, go the mysb.com, switch back etc. Then look at the log file again.

Thats the only hint I can give right now.

John S.

the cosmic gate
2010-10-31, 02:02
Yesterday again this problem: i switched the touch from mysb.com to the in house ms 2008 r2 server (when itd on so the touch doesnt need to send the wol command to the server) and the touch starts to play but no sound.is it maybe possible to setup the touch that it never send the wol command? I' am getting crazy from this stupid behaviour

rgro
2010-10-31, 07:22
Yesterday again this problem: i switched the touch from mysb.com to the in house ms 2008 r2 server (when itd on so the touch doesnt need to send the wol command to the server) and the touch starts to play but no sound.is it maybe possible to setup the touch that it never send the wol command? I' am getting crazy from this stupid behaviour

Please take a look at the NIC power management settings on your ms server and make sure wake on magic packet is enabled---as I've recently come to learn, I doubt your problems are the Touch's, but more likely a sleep/power management issue on your server.

Also, have a look at my post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82960
As I had posted here, I had similar issues, but have now had 48+ hours of perfect performance from my Touch & sbs/server since I figured out the problem.

the cosmic gate
2010-10-31, 08:50
Wol is enabled for sure
Please take a look at the NIC power management settings on your ms server and make sure wake on magic packet is enabled---as I've recently come to learn, I doubt your problems are the Touch's, but more likely a sleep/power management issue on your server.

Also, have a look at my post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82960
As I had posted here, I had similar issues, but have now had 48+ hours of perfect performance from my Touch & sbs/server since I figured out the problem.

the cosmic gate
2010-11-03, 11:10
i un-checked the power save box, hope this wil solve the problem and that the wol function keeps on working.Keep you in "touch "

the cosmic gate
2010-11-09, 09:05
i tried this workaround, without succes.the problem is still there :(

W_J
2010-11-09, 09:17
I have the same problem sometimes when going from MSB.com to SBS on my NAS. Turning the Touch off and on in between is the work around i use.

FredFredrickson
2010-11-15, 09:08
I am not experiencing this particular bug, but I can shed some light on the symptom:

Squeezeplay devices seem to get confused when there's a buffer error or something that uses up memory strangely. The symptom is always this- no sound output after this event.

What's interesting is a reboot may temporarily fix it, but it actually is more susceptible for the bug to come back. It appears the only way to "clear" the issue is a factory reset.

When does this happen? It used to happen with the WMA bug during beta. It couldn't handle errors in the WMA stream and would cause a memory leak of sorts. (per my clearly limited understanding)

Most recently happened in the Rhapsody bug, which they released a fix for last week. Rhapsody streams were having errors and then net result was no audio at all until reboot.

As you can see, the symptom is indicative of an array of issues that could happen. This may or may not be related, but at least gives you an idea that this class of symptom is "normal" when things aren't working right. It's likely an exception that is not handled with the streams trying to be played.

the cosmic gate
2010-12-05, 07:10
i tried some other things te last time to solve this but nothing:
- i totaly reinstalled the sever
- i reset the touch to factory defaults

i'am getting crazy from this "bug" i had to reset the touch evertime :( (this problem doesn't seem to be there with the SB 3)hope that logitech will fix this bug when delevering the new SB server sofware ?