PDA

View Full Version : Turn wireless off

reniera
2010-10-10, 19:05
I dont use wireless because most of my boxes are cabled. I'd like to turn wl off because i dont like being irradiated when not needed and because it may help cut power consumption down. Being linux boxes that must be possible somehow. Or perhaps you tell me that once cabled, the wl interface is automatically powered down ?
Tx

aubuti
2010-10-10, 19:10
First, not all SBs are Linux boxes. Only the Radio, Touch, and Controller run Linux. So it depends on which Squeezebox model you're talking about. For example, the SB2/SB3/Classic switch off the wifi radio automatically when connected to ethernet, while some others require specific edits to system files. So which SB(s) is/are you talking about?

reniera
2010-10-11, 02:12
First, not all SBs are Linux boxes. Only the Radio, Touch, and Controller run Linux. So it depends on which Squeezebox model you're talking about. For example, the SB2/SB3/Classic switch off the wifi radio automatically when connected to ethernet, while some others require specific edits to system files. So which SB(s) is/are you talking about?

Thanks
I have touch radio and duet

aubuti
2010-10-11, 06:31
Well obviously you need to have wifi if you have a Duet -- the SB Duet Controller only works wirelessly. I am fairly sure that if you setup the SB Duet Receiver for ethernet that it automatically switches off the SBR's wifi radio.

I am also fairly sure that wiring the Touch and Radio do _not_ automatically switch off the wifi radio on those players. Fortunately these are the two Linux-based SBs. There is a script available with an entire suite of software modifications for the Touch, one of which is turning off the wifi. If you know your way around the Linux command line you can probably pick out the necessary lines that only disable the wifi radio.

See this blogpost by soundcheck (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/squeezebox-touch-great-base-for-network.html) and this thread in the forums (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=79857) for more info. Like I say, soundcheck's software mods do a lot more than switching off the wifi radio, so you may also be able to find a more "a la carte" method for doing that than trying to extract the relevant lines from the script.

EDIT: I neglected to add that unless you are keeping these devices physically near your body for a long time, the radiation risk is pretty negligible. But I know that everyone has his/her own sense of relative risk, and maybe you've already purged your environment of all the bigger sources of EMFs.

Soulkeeper
2010-10-13, 14:27
Typical GSM mobile signal: 750-2000 mW. Typical WLAN device signal: 20-80 mW. Mobile phones are typically pressed against the side of the user's head while in use. The signal strength drops rapidly with increased distance.

In other words, I think cutting down your mobile phone use by one minute each day, will have a much greater health benefit than permanently disabling all WLAN devices in your house. Unless you're sleeping in a pile of them, that is.

reniera
2010-10-13, 14:42
Aubuti

Thanks !!!!