View Full Version : iPeng problems connecting

MrSinatra
2010-10-06, 06:41
Win7 64bit
McAfee Security Center 10.5
SBS 7.5.2b
iPeng 1.2.7
iOS 4.1

ok, i doubt this is iPengs fault, but i had it working and now it isn't working.

the computer is ethernet to router 192.168.1.2 and the iPod is wireless, 192.168.1.5

when i run squeezeplay on the computer, it works fine. when i try my wireless SBC it also runs fine.

iPeng used to work, but has since stopped being able to reach the SBS server. i can't figure out why. i suspect its mcafee but maybe the IP number changed on the computer, would that matter?

i tried looking for things to do on iPeng, but am not sure what to do. i also tried messing around with the firewall settings on McAfee, but no luck there either. i think i opened port 9000 on the mcafee firewall, tcp and udp, do i need to do that or open any others? any other mcafee ideas?

i am just very stumped, any ideas?

(also, where did the option in iPeng go to do WOL via Mac address? is that no longer needed?)

MrSinatra
2010-10-06, 06:58
well this always happens... after i post i get things to work, but in this case, i don't know how i did it, or what changed to let it work.

i still have some questions though:

1. how do i get iPeng to DELETE and forget that 192.168.1.11 was ever a music source?
2. in the WOL commands, how do i know if i need port 3483 listed, and do i need to do anything with the router or mcafee?
3. i don't understand "manual" WOL. what is the "server element" and where is that power button?
4. is it possible that iPeng is preventing my computer from going to sleep? i can't get this machine to sleep properly and i don't know whats stopping it.

pippin
2010-10-06, 07:47
well this always happens... after i post i get things to work, but in this case, i don't know how i did it, or what changed to let it work.

No only you :)

1. how do i get iPeng to DELETE and forget that 19.2.168.1.11 was ever a music source?

If you have set it manually, you can delete it under "Settings->iPeng Settings".
If not, it will be gone after a restart.

2. in the WOL commands, how do i know if a need port 3483 listed, and do i need to do anything with the router or mcafee?

No. You only need to change the port if you want to reach a server through a router e.g. from the internet.
If 3483 doesn't work your Squeezebox won't work and if UDB broadcast doesn't work on that port iPeng will not automatically find your server.
So if these two things work fine you should be OK.

3. i don't understand "manual" WOL. what is the "server element" and where is that power button?

The server element is the thing where you clicked the blue button on the right hand side. On the same row, on the left hand side there will be a power button. You need to _both_ activate WOL and manual WOL for that to show up.

4. is it possible that iPeng is preventing my computer from going to sleep? i can't get this machine to sleep properly and i don't know whats stopping it.
If you enable WOL and you _don't_ enable "manual WOL", yes. That's what "manual WOL" is for.

Currently iPeng has a bug in that it will stay active in the background unless you completely stop it through the task bar. I will submit a fix for this probably next week.

MrSinatra
2010-10-07, 13:36
If you have set it manually, you can delete it under "Settings->iPeng Settings".
If not, it will be gone after a restart.

it did finally go away.

however, even though it found the new computers mac addy, it kept "forgetting it" so i eventually had to add the mac manually. i think this might be b/c it was confused that the IP # was the same as the orig computer, (that no longer has that IP, and was otherwise gone from ipeng and turned off).

No. You only need to change the port if you want to reach a server through a router e.g. from the internet.
If 3483 doesn't work your Squeezebox won't work and if UDB broadcast doesn't work on that port iPeng will not automatically find your server.
So if these two things work fine you should be OK.

WOL is working for me now, :)

The server element is the thing where you clicked the blue button on the right hand side. On the same row, on the left hand side there will be a power button. You need to _both_ activate WOL and manual WOL for that to show up.

i can't activate both b/c this is for my Dad, and its a step too far. he needs absolute simplicity for this to be useful for him. i basically am trying to just get him to do "random mix" and thats it.

along those lines, it would be cool if i could replace the "genres" button with random song mix at the bottom, something like that.

If you enable WOL and you _don't_ enable "manual WOL", yes. That's what "manual WOL" is for.

Currently iPeng has a bug in that it will stay active in the background unless you completely stop it through the task bar. I will submit a fix for this probably next week.

stop SBS in the taskbar, i don't follow what you mean? if u mean the ipod, how do you do that? i'm not very familiar with ipods.

i'll have to have him wait for the fix... is there a way to get the ipod to install free updates automatically?

also, how long should it take to "synchronize the cache" ? ipeng says it is doing this when i hit albums, but it doesn't seem to make much progress. there are about 16k mp3s. what does it actually do? store art on the ipod or what?

EDIT: also, what does the ipeng plugin do if i activate it in the SBS webui?

pippin
2010-10-08, 06:20
it did finally go away.

however, even though it found the new computers mac addy, it kept "forgetting it" so i eventually had to add the mac manually. i think this might be b/c it was confused that the IP # was the same as the orig computer, (that no longer has that IP, and was otherwise gone from ipeng and turned off).

Hm. It _should_ not do that but remember the MAC for the server's name, not it's IP address for the exact reason that it's supposed to work with DHCP, too.
I'll have to investigate a bit, my server's don't support WOL and I only have my home Mac to test this.

i can't activate both b/c this is for my Dad, and its a step too far. he needs absolute simplicity for this to be useful for him.

Ok. After the bugfix release is out (I'll probably submit that next week) iPeng should stop waking the server once you turn the iPod off (enable the screen saver, that is), so I think that's what you'll need.

i basically am trying to just get him to do "random mix" and thats it.
along those lines, it would be cool if i could replace the "genres" button with random song mix at the bottom, something like that.

You can. Just go to the main menu and press "Edit" on the navigation bar on top.

stop SBS in the taskbar, i don't follow what you mean? if u mean the ipod, how do you do that? i'm not very familiar with ipods.

It's a bit complicated. Assuming this is an iPod with iOS4 you need to doubleclick the front button on the iPod, then you get to the tab bar. On the tab bar, you "hold" the iPeng icon, it will the get a red "-" sign, if you touch that, iPeng will quit.
As said before: It's a bug that it keeps communicating in the background.

i'll have to have him wait for the fix... is there a way to get the ipod to install free updates automatically?

Unfortunately not.

also, how long should it take to "synchronize the cache" ? ipeng says it is doing this when i hit albums, but it doesn't seem to make much progress. there are about 16k mp3s. what does it actually do? store art on the ipod or what?

This entirely depends on the server's speed. It loads the list of artists, albums and genres. Artists and genres usually are not an issue but albums can be slow on pre-7.6 servers and slow machines.
If this is Windows, you could also have an issue with the virus scanner, especially with McAfee.
Artwork gets cached later but that's entirely in the background.

EDIT: also, what does the ipeng plugin do if i activate it in the SBS webui?
It provides an iPhone-friendly skin for the web interface. You don't need it with the app.

MrSinatra
2010-10-31, 19:34
i guess the bugfix isn't out yet? if not, np.

new question:

if i go into albums, how do i get them to display in artist, year, album order? is that possible? i do have it set like that for the webui via the SBS side.

pippin
2010-10-31, 19:40
i guess the bugfix isn't out yet? if not, np.

No, the one on iPeng for iPad is, but the iPeng one is still waiting for approval.

if i go into albums, how do i get them to display in artist, year, album order? is that possible? i do have it set like that for the webui via the SBS side.
Artists->All Albums is what you want. It's a fully cached menu, too, so you don't have to switch settings or something, you can always have both sort orders.

MrSinatra
2010-11-02, 13:14
Artists->All Albums is what you want. It's a fully cached menu, too, so you don't have to switch settings or something, you can always have both sort orders.

if i go into artists, how do i pick all albums? and i thought artists was text only, or am i wrong? the reason i went into albums was b/c it has the art in the list, but i wanted that list with art to be in artist, year, album order, instead of simple album title order.

do i have it all confused?

(just trying to replicate the webui exp i guess)

pippin
2010-11-02, 13:18
if i go into artists, how do i pick all albums?

It's the first item under "Artists". On the top of the menu.

and i thought artists was text only, or am i wrong? the reason i went into albums was b/c it has the art in the list, but i wanted that list with art to be in artist, year, album order, instead of simple album title order.

Artists is (currently) text only but Artists->All Albums is an Albums menu and looks and behaves exactly like the "Albums" menu except for the sort order.