PDA

View Full Version : Classic/Boom Discontinued - Why?

rajm
2010-10-05, 11:12
Few days ago picked up a Squeeze Classic off Amazon ($197). I knew before buying that it and the boom were getting discontinued, my question is why?

My thought is that is plays well to a small niche -- I know other people like me who find an LCD slightly distasteful for listening to music so, by extrapolation, there must be at least a few others worldwide. With a constant, though small, revenue stream why wouldn't you just keep the product around and milk it? Guess I'm not seeing the overhead - unless the entire Squeezebox community (Touch + Boom + Classic) is already extremely small?

Just idle thoughts which probably just point out my lack of understanding of economics :-)

- R

snarlydwarf
2010-10-05, 11:15
Few days ago picked up a Squeeze Classic off Amazon ($197). I knew before buying that it and the boom were getting discontinued, my question is why?

The Boom is discontinued? It seems available at http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/4707

The Classic was discontinued a year ago: the VFD is no longer made.

Whether you think that's a loss or not, Logitech simply can not make them without that VFD.

Mnyb
2010-10-05, 11:20
The VFD screen on the classic is eol, they are not made anymore .

And it was very expensive, Touch's screen is actually much cheaper so here the money goes into the player .

Touch replaces Classic it's was launched at the "same" (in US) price as the classic once was sold at.

Where are you living the BOOM seems to be sold where I live ? not discontinued

rajm
2010-10-05, 11:25
(Boom) hmmm - can't remember where I read it. Maybe was just a rumor? I figured it must be true b/c both the boom and classic are selling at hefty discounts.

Didn't realize about the VFD -- that makes sense.

I'll never understand why the boom didn't take off. I think its been 1 year and half since I got mine. At that time it was featured in a variety of stores (J&R, Best Buy, Tiger Direct) then slowly disappeared. I was sure it was going to be the next big thing...

snarlydwarf
2010-10-05, 11:31
(Boom) hmmm - can't remember where I read it. Maybe was just a rumor? I figured it must be true b/c both the boom and classic are selling at hefty discounts.

Didn't realize about the VFD -- that makes sense.

I'll never understand why the boom didn't take off. I think its been 1 year and half since I got mine. At that time it was featured in a variety of stores (J&R, Best Buy, Tiger Direct) then slowly disappeared. I was sure it was going to be the next big thing...

The Boom sold very well when it first came out: the Radio perhaps a bit better (since it came out a couple months before Christmas rush and at least in the US BestBuy and Amazon seemed to be in some pricewar about it with great discounts).

Boom sold a HUGE number of units at Circuit City as they were liquidating all their inventory for bankruptcy... there are people who bought several of the things.

As for now: BestBuy is evil: they charge vendors to place things on their shelves. Even when they were pushing the Radio like mad last winter, they tended to bury them in back or just plain out-of-stock them despite newspaper ads with the prices. Logitech apparently wasn't paying them enough to get them actually on the shelves. I'll stick with retailers who want to make money selling me things instead of taking kickbacks.

Circuit City may have sucked, but at least they had some influence in making BestBuy pretend to care about customers... so I'll just buy from Amazon or direct from Logitech, but, yeah getting things in stores would be useful for them, but I can understand not wanting to pay for shelf space and pay more for "good" shelf space, and still more for "prime" shelf space.

Mnyb
2010-10-05, 11:39
Both my boom and radio was bought off the shelf :) My SB3 (classic) Duet and Touch I got online .

pfarrell
2010-10-05, 12:24
On 10/05/2010 02:31 PM, snarlydwarf wrote:
> As for now: BestBuy is evil: they charge vendors to place things on
> their shelves.

In the US, I don't know about Europe, etc.....

Actually, nearly all retailers do this. The practice started in grocery
stores 40+ years ago. For the last years of its life, Tower Record made
all of their profit on the in-store poster placements, and placement at
the listening kiosks.

The prices in retail stores have to be as low as the mailorder shops.
They need the shelving fees to keep the lights on and pay for rent.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JJZolx
2010-10-05, 12:54
Seems more than a little far-fetched to me that the VFD for the Classic would be "not made any more", while the 1/2 width VFD for the Boom would not. They're identical except for the width. I recall looking at a spec sheet for the VFD when someone posted a link a couple years ago. They're essentially custom order components with a minimum order in the thousands. The only reason I can believe that they're no longer being make is because Logitech decided that it would no longer order them.

In the end it doesn't make much difference, because I'm sure Logitech long ago decided to phase out the SB3 in favor of the Touch, and also wanted nothing to do with marketing and selling the Transporter.

epoch1970
2010-10-05, 15:00
+1
I think the single argument that can possibly excuse dropping the VFD technology is the fact it was using too much power. But then I expected to see something like an e-paper type screen as a replacement.
Certainly something a bit more sophisticated and practical than the LCDs we have now.
Cheap products can also be unprofitable.

As for the Boom, I watch for it from times to times on amazon.fr and its price is still stable. I'll snatch 1 or 2 units when EOL time approaches. --and Transporter is still 1999 on logitech.fr !!

toby10
2010-10-05, 15:14
Few days ago picked up a Squeeze Classic off Amazon ($197). I knew before buying that it and the boom were getting discontinued, my question is why?......

SB3 is a four year old device that had an original MSRP of $299.
Touch replaced the SB3 and has an MSRP of $299, in four years I'm sure Amazon will have Touch's for $179 regularly.

Boom will be discontinued when they stop making the Boom's VFD or Logitech releases a Boom II.
My guess is a Boom II is a Boom with a SB Radio style LCD screen.

alfista
2010-10-06, 00:52
I know other people like me who find an LCD slightly distasteful for listening to music so, by extrapolation, there must be at least a few others worldwide
Actually, I believe very few people listens to the display.

funkstar
2010-10-06, 14:02
Actually, I believe very few people listens to the display.
Because of the way VFDs work (i.e. the flourescent part) there is an audio argument against using them, especially big detailed ones like in the Classic because of electrical noise.