PDA

View Full Version : Music File Formats (from a new user)

Bigboris
2010-10-05, 10:54
Greetings from a new Squeezebox touch owner.

My question is about music file formats.
I have been using mp3's and aac's for years.
Just fine for portable units and car audio.

I am planing to use my new Touch in an audiophile grade stereo system.
I haven't started the task of copying my complete CD collection in full quality to a hard drive.
I have started using a ripping program called EAC (exact audio copy).
I can write the files as flac, or wav.
with the price of storage nowadays, I'm leaning toward .wav files.
Is there any advantages, or disadvantages to either?
will the Touch or the SBS program recognize flac tags, and/or wav tags?
(Is there such a thing as .wav tags?)

Thanks,
Mike
Northern California

mlsstl
2010-10-05, 11:02
Welcome to Squeezebox world!

I'd vote for FLAC. It is still lossless and offers far better tag support. As your collection grows, that becomes a bigger and bigger issue.

I've done back-to-back comparisons of WAV vs FLAC as well as CD to FLAC and I find no difference in sound quality.

Of course, that's one of those subjects where there is no shortage of opinions. In that light, perhaps it is worth it for you to spend some time running a few experiments and then do what makes the most sense to you.

Mnyb
2010-10-05, 11:14
FLAC ! Tagging is crucial to a good squeezebox experience and lossles is lossles .

btw sbs transcodes wav to flac anyway to save bandwith on your local network.
This can of course be disabled but a lot of work for nothing .

And FLAC could be sent as wav to player to with some fiddling, but that is also unnecessary .

Btw FLAC also supports embedded artwork.

Level -5 is good enough compression.

Also make a folder structure like artist/album/track put a folder.jpg or cover.jpg with the artwork in the folder.

People "hear" way to much stuff comparing digital audio.

FLAC is very well tried and tested.

If you encode with -V (verify) parameter you test the file while you are encoding it.

Phil Leigh
2010-10-05, 12:47
F l a c

Bigboris
2010-10-05, 13:55
Thanks, All

Flac it is.
At the risk of sounding inexperienced at this,
(well actually I am)
how do I find and embed album art into a flac file?

Is this a subject for another thread?

Thanks

dasmueller
2010-10-05, 14:03
I am new at this as well. What I have found works for me is to keep the artwork as an individual file in the album folder. It is critical that it be tagged identical to the FLAC file in order for it to appear when looking for a particular album.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Album_Artwork

This will help you get a better handle on artwork issues

garym
2010-10-05, 14:23
Thanks, All

Flac it is.
(well actually I am)

Thanks

mp3tag is useful for embedding art in a file (flac, mp3, etc.). It's very useful tag manager/editor for other reasons too.

Phil Leigh
2010-10-05, 14:43
Thanks, All

Flac it is.
(well actually I am)

Thanks

You can generally FIND album art on amazon.com.
You CAN embed it within FLAC files using MP3Tag... or you can just save it as cover.jpg in the music tracks folder if you are doing whole albums.

Bigboris
2010-10-05, 14:56
Thanks, Again
I will give it a try.
You are all a wealth of information

garym
2010-10-05, 15:05
Thanks, Again
I will give it a try.
You are all a wealth of information

when you are in mp3tag, right click on all the tracks of an album, then select "tag sources" in the menu bar, then "cover art", then amazon.com, and the program will find matches for the album art automatically.

souwalker
2010-10-05, 16:46
My 2 cents worth.

I got the Touch in July. I am still in the process of ripping all my 850 CDs to FLAC. I am up to 350 CDS and still counting.

My FLACS are in a QNAP NAS streaming to my HiFi. I have the Touch connected via L/R RCA Analogue to my pre-amp. Sounds fantastic.

I use dbPoweramp to rip the CDs to FLAC at default settings which I think is -5 compression.

I can find the album art via google images. Keep them no more then 500x500 but I use 300x300.

Rgds

ralphpnj
2010-10-05, 18:12
My 2 cents worth.

I got the Touch in July. I am still in the process of ripping all my 850 CDs to FLAC. I am up to 350 CDS and still counting.

My FLACS are in a QNAP NAS streaming to my HiFi. I have the Touch connected via L/R RCA Analogue to my pre-amp. Sounds fantastic.

I use dbPoweramp to rip the CDs to FLAC at default settings which I think is -5 compression.

I can find the album art via google images. Keep them no more then 500x500 but I use 300x300.

Rgds

Whenever I rip a CD I always do a fresh scan of the cover art. I like to have fairly large (around 940X940 but always less than 1MB file size) cover art since I use Moose (http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/) running on my desktop and laptop computers as a front end since Moose offers super quick access to my music library. With Moose you can display the cover art quite large (about a 1/2 of the screen) so large looks great. The larger cover art also looks quite nice on the Touch as well.

BTW, I also use dbpoweramp for all my CD ripping and other codec related tasks, such as converting from one format to another. And I use mp3tag as well. However you can set all the various tagging and file naming options from within dbpoweramp so that all you have to do, aside from the occasional tidying up, is add cover art and you ready to go.

souwalker
2010-10-05, 21:06
Whenever I rip a CD I always do a fresh scan of the cover art. I like to have fairly large (around 940X940 but always less than 1MB file size) cover art since I use Moose (http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/) running on my desktop and laptop computers as a front end since Moose offers super quick access to my music library. With Moose you can display the cover art quite large (about a 1/2 of the screen) so large looks great. The larger cover art also looks quite nice on the Touch as well.

I understand from this forum that we should keep album art max 500x500pix for the SB Touch. Never tried any larger so unsure how the Touch will display. If I can't find the CD cover online, I scan myself.

bernt
2010-10-05, 23:28
Why stop at high quality rips? Go for high quality album art to.

http://www.albumartexchange.com/

MrSpigot
2010-10-06, 04:13
www.albumart.org is a good resource for your artwork. I find it contains a lot of covers that album art exchange doesn't have. If that fails, Amazon probably can't help either but a Google Images search can be very effective.

What I have found works for me is to keep the artwork as an individual file in the album folder. It is critical that it be tagged identical to the FLAC file in order for it to appear when looking for a particular album.
Not sure I understand that, by tagging in this case I assume you mean the artwork filename rather than embedded tags. If you only have one artwork file and several FLACS in the folder, how can they be the same filename? Or maybe you embed the artwork in a separate MP3 file?
Anyway, I just call the artwork 'folder.jpg' in the same folder as the FLACs for that album and it's fine.

garym
2010-10-06, 04:25
a single artwork file within each album subdirectory will work. It can be named simply "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg". The critical aspect is that it be inside the folder with the album tracks. Alternatively, you can embed the artwork into each FLAC track. mp3tag can do this for you.

spile
2010-10-06, 04:59
Use Album Art Downloader XUI to automate the downloading of cover art.
Brilliant application.

elstensoftware
2010-10-07, 05:22
Here are some more good websites for album art (http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/04/06/what-are-the-best-websites-for-album-art-/).

In answer to the original question, FLAC FTW!