PDA

View Full Version : Streaming tunes to iPad

jclyle
2010-10-01, 10:36
I swear I saw a post within the past day explaining how to stream tunes from a machine running the server software to an iPad, but I can't find the thread...

I'm using http://182.168.1.100:9000/stream.mp3 in Safari. I get a page saying its streaming but no sound. Is there a server side setting that needs to be selected? My Touch showed the file I selected was playing and I was getting sound through the Touch, but nothing on the iPad.

The server was playing back a FLAC file. Could that be why I wasn't getting sound on the iPad? Apple doesn't like FLAC for some reason :(

jclyle
2010-10-03, 09:37
Still trying to get this working. I'm playing files that I know are mp3's and still not getting any sound to come through the ipad. I get a screen in Safari that shows a bar in the center of the screen that has a button for play/pause.

Is it really possible to stream tunes to an iPad? I haven't found any server settings that would need to be enabled. Im using the latest server software and squeezebox touch.

Hopefully the ipeng for ipad will allow streaming to the ipad

pski
2010-10-03, 11:18
Still trying to get this working. I'm playing files that I know are mp3's and still not getting any sound to come through the ipad. I get a screen in Safari that shows a bar in the center of the screen that has a button for play/pause.

Is it really possible to stream tunes to an iPad? I haven't found any server settings that would need to be enabled. Im using the latest server software and squeezebox touch.

Hopefully the ipeng for ipad will allow streaming to the ipad

Why not try a different app? A google of "internet radio for ipad" returns quite a few.

The "ipad player" should show up under the Players in SBS.

You might want to install lame and use the bit-rate limiting setting on the player to determine if the target player can play the rate.

P

rkotemp
2010-10-03, 14:10
Squeezey is app for the iPad that can play music from your squeezebox server on your iPad. It does not support flac file's at this time and no radio.

Rob

jclyle
2010-10-04, 02:10
I see I don't have LAME installed on my machine. I'll install it and see if that enables streaming.

Line
2010-10-04, 10:50
If you are on ubuntu 64-bit apt-get install flac, lame ia32-libs

The ia32-libs took me a week to discover, good luck!

But as someone else mentioned, get squeezey. It's gapped playback and mp3 streaming, but 320kbps transcoding + 0 (highest quality) under the settings sounds great on my iPad.

Keep in mind i jail broke my iPad and use the backgrounder app to multitasking with squeezey