PDA

View Full Version : File Type Settings

jbloggs
2010-09-27, 03:36
Need a bit of help on the correct settings to use in the "file types" settings, if this seems rather basic, my apologies:

The music files I play (from HDD) are FLAC's and MP3's, I also on occasions stream different radio stations on my Touch...

From the screenshots below, what should the different file types be set to for proper convention and best audio quality:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/jbloggs/filetype_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/jbloggs/filetype_2.jpg

Thanks...

JJZolx
2010-09-27, 04:08
The default settings should give you the best audio quality. It's only when you enable bitrate limiting for a particular player that a file will be streamed in anything other than the best possible quality. In the default file type setting Flac is streamed as Flac and Mp3 as Mp3. Both formats are decoded natively by the Touch, so there's transcoding of either one done by the server. So Flac remains lossless and the Mp3 can't be made any better quality than whatever bitrate that it's been encoded.

If you want to experiment and see if you can hear a difference, you can also stream the Flac as uncompressed PCM by having the Flac decoded on the server instead of at the player. Just change the FLAC FLAC line from Native to Disabled. Be aware that this puts a greater load on the network, so if you're streaming wirelessly and the it's just marginally keeping the Touch's buffer filled, you could experience dropouts during playback. If you're using wired ethernet you shouldn't have any trouble.

jbloggs
2010-09-27, 06:26
Thanks for your reply, using wired, so might just see if FLAC as PCM makes any difference in sound quality...

RadioClash
2010-09-27, 07:31
Thanks for your reply, using wired, so might just see if FLAC as PCM makes any difference in sound quality...

Let us know your results. I have my own preference for server-side FLAC decoding, but there have been many opinions on this throughout the years. Sometimes we hear what we want to hear, and I certainly may be guilty of that.

jbloggs
2010-11-25, 06:59
Let us know your results. I have my own preference for server-side FLAC decoding, but there have been many opinions on this throughout the years. Sometimes we hear what we want to hear, and I certainly may be guilty of that.

Didn't appear to be any difference at all...