PDA

View Full Version : Image viewer crashes at third picture

Rikk
2010-09-26, 16:05
I put on the external usb disk connected to the touch some pictures, and set the directory "pictures" in the root of the disk as the starting directory with pictures.
Now, when I start the image viewer it always crashes after few pictures.
It is configured to show random pictures with fade transition.
Directories structure is

\year\subject

and under subject from 10 to 200 picures.

I already cleaned it from thumbs.db and similar files; there should be only pictures over there.

Any ideas please?

mherger
2010-09-27, 00:06
> Any ideas please?

Can you enable debugging for applet.ImageViewer (Settings/Advanced/Logging), then upload the messages file from the device's "log" share (Settings/Advanced/Sharing or similar)?

--

Michael

Rikk
2010-09-27, 00:43
> Any ideas please?
Can you enable debugging for applet.ImageViewer (Settings/Advanced/Logging), then upload the messages file from the device's "log" share (Settings/Advanced/Sharing or similar)?
--
Michael
Sure: this evening when back home I'm doing that

where does it starts the path to reach the log file?

mherger
2010-09-27, 01:00
> where does it starts the path to reach the log file?

It'll be something like \\[your player's IP address]\

--

Michael

M_Meyer
2010-09-27, 01:03
I had the same problems with image viewer here.
It crashed after some pictures - I had to power-cycle the touch.
So actually I simply do not use the image viewer any more...

But I will also try to enable debugging and see what I get.

Rikk
2010-09-28, 11:07
I'm having quite a hard time finding the logs folder... Where is it?

mherger
2010-09-29, 00:13
> I'm having quite a hard time finding the logs folder... Where is it?

Check Settings/Advanced/USB & SD Storage/Sharing whether sharing is enabled. If so, check Diagnostics to get your device's IP. Then connect to this share using the username/password found in the sharing screen. In the "Logs" folder you'll find "messages". That's the file you're looking for.

--

Michael

Rikk
2010-09-29, 03:10
> I'm having quite a hard time finding the logs folder... Where is it?

Check Settings/Advanced/USB & SD Storage/Sharing whether sharing is enabled. If so, check Diagnostics to get your device's IP. Then connect to this share using the username/password found in the sharing screen. In the "Logs" folder you'll find "messages". That's the file you're looking for.

--

Michael
Michael,
with sharing you mean the ability to connect to the touch via WinSCP ?
If so, it's already enabled.
Then, yesterday, I put applet.ImageViewer on "debug".
Then I started the slide show and after few pictures the Touch crashed and rebooted.
Waited, then reconnected with winscp but couldn't find any log folder.

mherger
2010-09-29, 04:01
> with sharing you mean the ability to connect to the touch via WinSCP ?

No, rather Windows network. But SCP is fine as well.

> Then, yesterday, I put applet.ImageViewer on "debug".
> Then I started the slide show and after few pictures the Touch crashed
> and rebooted.
> Waited, then reconnected with winscp but couldn't find any log folder.

check /var/log/messages

--

Michael

Rikk
2010-09-29, 10:49
ok, here we go
now it's happening something strange: I tryed to start the slideshow from main mený but it did give me the message "no picture found" (log1).
I set again the source for pictures browsing usb device and pushing "+" on the first upper folder of pictures and tryed again. No picture found again (log2).
Then I entered setup and there selected start slideshow and it started but crashed after the 2nd picture (log3).

Every time I deleted the file message before doing the test.

my drive is a wd elements se portable 250gb
pictures are in a tree structure like this

\pictures\year\event\picture001.jpg

If you need any other info just ask

mherger
2010-09-29, 21:25
> Then I entered setup and there selected start slideshow and it started
> but crashed after the 2nd picture (log3).

Unfortunately there's nothing in the log :-(. On a real crash/reboot, the log file wouldn't survive. What is in there is just the messages from after the restart.

What you could do is ssh into your device, then have

tail -f /var/log/messages

display the current log as it's being written. When the device crashes, you should still have the last few log messages on the screen. Could you please post them?

If it's always on the same image, would you mind sending it to me (michael št slimdevices dot com).

--

Michael

Rikk
2010-09-30, 04:58
ok, this evening I will ssh it :)

I guess it's not always the same image because I checked random order, so unless it doesn't randomize...

Rikk
2010-09-30, 13:12
ok, got the logs! I wrote you an email.
Hope to hear from you soon!:)

mherger
2010-09-30, 22:13
> ok, got the logs! I wrote you an email.
> Hope to hear from you soon!:)

Ok, it's pretty clear it dies with an "out of memory" error. Interestingly it first kills the internal music server, while still showing images. Then, a few images later, it definitely runs out of memory.

Did you edit your files, are are they as delivered by your camera? Would you mind sharing some of them with me? We know that depending on how your JPG files are saved, this can increase memory consumption a lot. Make sure you don't save them with "progressive loading" enabled.

One more issue: you seem to have hundreds or thousands of images in one folder. Touch isn't handling this very well. Try reducing the number of files.

--

Michael

Rikk
2010-10-01, 00:13
Well, my pictures come from different cameras over years (there are more than 10 years of pictures) and are mostly edited with photoshop and saved with it's "baseline optimized" option, at 8 or 9 degree of quality out of 12 levels, so no progressive. I can send you some by email.

Numerosity: overall there are 24.000 pictures, distributed over 10 folder, one for each year, in wich there are as many folders as the events. I mean: in 2010 you find Easter, Holidays, birthday, ...
In each "event folder" usually there are from 5 to 200 pictures. In some cases they reach 500/600. In one of them there are 1500 and in another 1080, but it's just for two folders. May this be a problem?

Reading the log I saw the recurring issue with alarm applet but didn't understand exactly what is going on... what's wrong with it? I don't even use the alarm on touch, so I'm wondering why it is running and giving errors...
Is there something I can do to reduce these errors?

mherger
2010-10-03, 22:48
Thanks for the pictures. I can't find anything obviously problematic about them.

We know that running the ImageViewer while the internal server is running at the same time is problematic. All I can suggest is trying

- without the server, to see whether it's just the two of them together using too much memory (not what you want...)
- smaller number of images
- pre-shrink images

There's hope 7.6 will be behaving better in this regard, as we've worked on both SBS and image handling to make it use less memory and be faster in typical situations. But no release date yet, I'm sorry.

Michael

Am 01.10.2010, 09:13 Uhr, schrieb Rikk <Rikk.4i56hb1285917241 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Well, my pictures come from different cameras over years (there are more
> than 10 years of pictures) and are mostly edited with photoshop and
> saved with it's "baseline optimized" option, at 8 or 9 degree of
> quality out of 12 levels, so no progressive. I can send you some by
> email.
>
> Numerosity: overall there are 24.000 pictures, distributed over 10
> folder, one for each year, in wich there are as many folders as the
> events. I mean: in 2010 you find Easter, Holidays, birthday, ...
> In each "event folder" usually there are from 5 to 200 pictures. In
> some cases they reach 500/600. In one of them there are 1500 and in
> another 1080, but it's just for two folders. May this be a problem?
>
> Reading the log I saw the recurring issue with alarm applet but didn't
> understand exactly what is going on... what's wrong with it? I don't
> even use the alarm on touch, so I'm wondering why it is running and
> giving errors...
> Is there something I can do to reduce these errors?
>
>

--

Michael