PDA

View Full Version : Plugin Request: Year Limiter



Michael Sigalos
2004-08-31, 10:14
So I guess the idea of SlimServer natively supporting moods wasn't so
popular. Nor was the idea of a "movie credit" screensaver. Oh well, can't
blame a guy for trying.

Down but not out, I try again...

After thinking about it a bit I have stumbled upon an obscenely simple idea
for a plugin (albeit probably unoriginal) that would provide most of the
benefit of moods wihtout all of the setup/maintenance. Let's call it a
YEAR LIMITER. The idea is this... the user sets a low year and a high
year. When the plugin filter is turned on, any additions to the player
playlist (using play or add) have to pass the year test. Any tracks
outside the limiting range don't make it to the playlist. I could add
multiple genres to the playlist but if I was in the mood for music from the
late 1970's, I would only hear that. True, I might be able to do the same
by creating jillions of genres, but that is so messy. This would be much
cleaner and easier to use.

Any support out there for this idea? Any Perl coders willing to volunteer?
Come on now, I know some of you out there can probably do this while
sleeping.

seanadams
2004-08-31, 10:17
Michael,

You need to talk to the database gurus over on our developer's list...
this is going to be very easy to add, once we have a relational
back-end going.



On Aug 31, 2004, at 10:14 AM, Michael Sigalos wrote:

> So I guess the idea of SlimServer natively supporting moods wasn't so
> popular. Nor was the idea of a "movie credit" screensaver. Oh well,
> can't
> blame a guy for trying.
>
> Down but not out, I try again...
>
> After thinking about it a bit I have stumbled upon an obscenely simple
> idea
> for a plugin (albeit probably unoriginal) that would provide most of
> the
> benefit of moods wihtout all of the setup/maintenance. Let's call it a
> YEAR LIMITER. The idea is this... the user sets a low year and a high
> year. When the plugin filter is turned on, any additions to the player
> playlist (using play or add) have to pass the year test. Any tracks
> outside the limiting range don't make it to the playlist. I could add
> multiple genres to the playlist but if I was in the mood for music
> from the
> late 1970's, I would only hear that. True, I might be able to do the
> same
> by creating jillions of genres, but that is so messy. This would be
> much
> cleaner and easier to use.
>
> Any support out there for this idea? Any Perl coders willing to
> volunteer?
> Come on now, I know some of you out there can probably do this while
> sleeping.
>

kdf
2004-08-31, 10:21
Quoting Sean Adams <sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

>
> Michael,
>
> You need to talk to the database gurus over on our developer's list...
> this is going to be very easy to add, once we have a relational
> back-end going.
>
downright painful to do it with the existing stuff :)

Michael, you might also want to keep your eye on bugs.slimdevices.com.
bugs 103, 112, and 240 are all related to YEAR tags.

-kdf

> On Aug 31, 2004, at 10:14 AM, Michael Sigalos wrote:
>
> > So I guess the idea of SlimServer natively supporting moods wasn't so
> > popular. Nor was the idea of a "movie credit" screensaver. Oh well,
> > can't
> > blame a guy for trying.
> >
> > Down but not out, I try again...
> >
> > After thinking about it a bit I have stumbled upon an obscenely simple
> > idea
> > for a plugin (albeit probably unoriginal) that would provide most of
> > the
> > benefit of moods wihtout all of the setup/maintenance. Let's call it a
> > YEAR LIMITER. The idea is this... the user sets a low year and a high
> > year. When the plugin filter is turned on, any additions to the player
> > playlist (using play or add) have to pass the year test. Any tracks
> > outside the limiting range don't make it to the playlist. I could add
> > multiple genres to the playlist but if I was in the mood for music
> > from the
> > late 1970's, I would only hear that. True, I might be able to do the
> > same
> > by creating jillions of genres, but that is so messy. This would be
> > much
> > cleaner and easier to use.
> >
> > Any support out there for this idea? Any Perl coders willing to
> > volunteer?
> > Come on now, I know some of you out there can probably do this while
> > sleeping.
> >

Terrence Jones
2004-08-31, 15:00
The problem here is that often the "Year" of an album is often different
than the year of the songs on the album. This is most often a problem with
compilations. I suppose if you're very anal about tagging, and you've
actually tagged each song as to what year it is this approach would work
well.

I would like to see a new classification system for mp3/others that used
AllMusic's approach. Each artist/album would have a top level genre and a
more specific 'style'. With AllMusic, there are only a few genres, most of
my collection falls under the generic 'Rock' for example. However, the
styles are numerous and very specific. I've been thinking about tagging my
collection using both genre and style. For your 70's mood, you could browse
through a 70's style.

"Michael Sigalos"
<miguel.slimdiscuss (AT) zoemail (DOT) net> wrote in
message news:1093972457.4134b1e94eb6e (AT) www (DOT) zoemail.net...
> So I guess the idea of SlimServer natively supporting moods wasn't so
> popular. Nor was the idea of a "movie credit" screensaver. Oh well,
can't
> blame a guy for trying.
>
> Down but not out, I try again...
>
> After thinking about it a bit I have stumbled upon an obscenely simple
idea
> for a plugin (albeit probably unoriginal) that would provide most of the
> benefit of moods wihtout all of the setup/maintenance. Let's call it a
> YEAR LIMITER. The idea is this... the user sets a low year and a high
> year. When the plugin filter is turned on, any additions to the player
> playlist (using play or add) have to pass the year test. Any tracks
> outside the limiting range don't make it to the playlist. I could add
> multiple genres to the playlist but if I was in the mood for music from
the
> late 1970's, I would only hear that. True, I might be able to do the same
> by creating jillions of genres, but that is so messy. This would be much
> cleaner and easier to use.
>
> Any support out there for this idea? Any Perl coders willing to
volunteer?
> Come on now, I know some of you out there can probably do this while
> sleeping.

Richard Purdie
2004-09-03, 04:36
> On Aug 31, 2004, at 10:14 AM, Michael Sigalos wrote:
>> benefit of moods wihtout all of the setup/maintenance. Let's call it a
>> YEAR LIMITER. The idea is this... the user sets a low year and a high
>> year. When the plugin filter is turned on, any additions to the player
>> playlist (using play or add) have to pass the year test. Any tracks
>>
>> Any support out there for this idea? Any Perl coders willing to
>> volunteer?
>> Come on now, I know some of you out there can probably do this while
>> sleeping.

Sean Adams:
> You need to talk to the database gurus over on our developer's list...
> this is going to be very easy to add, once we have a relational back-end
> going.

See the post I've just made to the developers list. It would make a good
plugin but everyone has a different idea of how they're want to filter
things etc. The idea I've just proposed would let nearly everyone view their
collection the way they want.

You'll have to wait for the SQL backend to mature which is a while off but
there is light at the end of the tunnel! :)

--
RP