PDA

View Full Version : Network setup for iPeng app

jclyle
2010-09-25, 11:33
Before I buy the Ipenq app, I want to make sure everything in my network will communicate with each other..
I'll be using an Ipad on wireless network. SlimServer 7.5 is installed on a laptop. I use a switch to connect the sqeezebox Touch and the laptop running server together. Tunes are on a USB harddrive.

I have another laptop running vista. I am trying to load slimserver remotely using http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000/ i verified slimserver settings and it is using port 9000, the 'x' is a placeholder for the IP address of the laptop running slimserver.

I am not able to bring up the webserver/brwoser slimserver on the other laptop.

Does the 7.5 release allow you to bring up the server remotely? I know I was able to do this before on older versions.

I'm concerned that iPenq might not be able to find the laptop running slimserver. I was unable to connect on the iPad using the same address I referenced above.

Thanks for any insight on what I am doing wrong.

jclyle
2010-09-25, 11:39
oh yes,,,, laptop running slimserver is windows XP. windows firewall has been shut down

pippin
2010-09-25, 11:42
Is your iPad on the WiFi network? That IP address is only valid within your internal network.

jclyle
2010-09-25, 11:45
yes, iPad is on the same wifi

jclyle
2010-09-25, 11:53
i went ahead and bough the app. it didnt automatically find the server, i entered the IP manually and still cant connect

jclyle
2010-09-25, 12:31
i disabled all virus/security (mcafee) on the laptop running slimserver, and still cant connect. the laptop is on the network and can get online, but my second laptop and ipad cant see it. any ideas where to start?

jclyle
2010-09-26, 03:09
Ipeng can see the Mac address of the laptop running slim server. Something is still blocking access. Do i need to have the player connected through my squeezebox.com to connect? I don't see how that would prevent remote access.

pippin
2010-09-26, 05:46
Try to open the ip in the safari browser first. If that doesn't work, you've got a network issue and need to diagnose this first.
Is your server really using port 9000?
What are these exact ip addresses (of the server and the iThingy)? Since they are local anyway it's no problem to publish them.

jclyle
2010-09-26, 05:57
Squeezebox serever ip 192.168.1.100 info tab on Squeezebox Server control panel says its using port 9000

ipad ip is 192.168.1.105

mysqueezebox.com says my player isnt connected. but its playing music using wired connection to the laptop running the servrer via a switch.

jclyle
2010-09-26, 06:13
the diagnostic screen on Touch says it can't connect to TCP port 9000 or 3483

diagnostics on the laptop running these ports say they are OK

jclyle
2010-09-26, 06:29
I connected the touch to wifi network. Ipeng now sees the player :)

Still can't connect the laptop running Squeezeserver. It seems like a setting issue. What settings should I look into?

pippin
2010-09-26, 09:20
I connected the touch to wifi network. Ipeng now sees the player :)

Still can't connect the laptop running Squeezeserver. It seems like a setting issue. What settings should I look into?

Wait a moment. If iPeng can see the player it's either under "unconnected players", then you can't use it and it will not play music.
Otherwise iPeng should tell you which server the player is connected to, what do you see on the MultiPlayer screen (this one: http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/ipeng-1-2/img_0321.png )?

Do I understand your setup correctly that you have a Laptop that should run the server and to which the USB drive is connected and a Touch that should connect to that Laptop and the iPod should also connect to the same network and control the thing.

You say you are connecting the Laptop and the Touch with a switch, does this mean you use a wired network connection between the two? How is all this connected to a router if you have one or where is the DHCP server (the one handing out the network addresses) located on your network and how is WiFi connected to the fixed part of the network?

jclyle
2010-09-26, 09:23
The laptop and touch are connected with a wired network using the switch. I now have the Touch and laptop connected thorugh wifi and everything works fine.

pippin
2010-09-26, 09:35
So the problem probably was in the connection between your wired and wireless network.

If you use separate networks you always have to keep in mind that all devices have to see the server, they don't need to see each other.
So the Touch needs a connection to the server and iPeng needs a connection to the server, these two can be different and the Touch and the iThingy don't need to see each other.