PDA

View Full Version : What is the relation between squeezebox server and mysqueezebox.com?

ja2038
2010-09-19, 17:22
I spent the weekend playing with squeezebox server and player and trying to figure out which of the squeezebox devices I might want to buy.

And I guess I understand that at some level there is no real difference, or not intended to be, between squeezebox server and mysqueezebox.com. But there clearly are differences if only in the UI and general level of ease. For instance, at mysqueezebox, it seems very easy to configure or change the logins of the various plugins. At the home server, it's very difficult.

So...

1. Which devices need a home server, and which can use mysqueezebox?
2. If I run a home server, how do I configure the plugins? Specifically, how do I configure Pandora on a home server?
3. What is synchronized between home server and my squeezebox?

and

4. How do I tell Squeezebox player to CONNECT to mysqueezebox to get various sync updates?

toby10
2010-09-19, 18:21
1. All SB players can use both SBS and MySB.com (except the long discontinued SB1)
2. Pandora is an App not a Plugin and is configured on MySB.com, Plugins are only on SBS
3. Very little is "synced" between SBS and MySB and is limited to basic player settings, mostly related to SB3 and Boom
4. Switching to MySB varies by player, but it is very easy to do.
Getting back to SBS is as simple as navigating the player to My Music in the main menu.
Updates can be obtained through both SBS and MySB, not required to switch to MySB for updates.

SBS requires a computer and uses MySB in the background and can do everything that MySB can do, but SBS is much more customizable.
MySB needs no computer but has limitations, like no access to your local music and cannot see AAC streams in the Internet Radio menu section and cannot Sync Last.fm to players.

gjb
2010-09-19, 18:33
Is there any way to have a SB (Boom) automatically switch to MySB if the computer running SBS is down?

Thanks!

toby10
2010-09-20, 03:27
Is there any way to have a SB (Boom) automatically switch to MySB if the computer running SBS is down?

Thanks!

Not that I know of. But manually switching a Boom to MySB is three quick "arrow" presses on the remote whether SBS is running or not. ;)

garym
2010-09-20, 04:20

Thanks!

I believe this may be possible to setup with the plugin "Server Power Control". Install SVRPWRCTRL and look at the various settings.

Ikabob
2010-09-20, 05:51
Can msb.com save playlists? Thank you.

aubuti
2010-09-20, 07:14
Can msb.com save playlists? Thank you.
If you have Rhapsody, Napster, MP3Tunes, or other music service playlists, you can save them when connected via mysb.com. In those cases you are really saving the playlists with those services, so they should be available however you connect to them.

What would you want to put in a mysb.com playlist? A list of internet radio stations? (I vaguely recall you posting something along those lines before.) For that I would suggest using mysb.com Favorites instead.

Ikabob
2010-09-20, 08:23
If you have Rhapsody, Napster, MP3Tunes, or other music service playlists, you can save them when connected via mysb.com. In those cases you are really saving the playlists with those services, so they should be available however you connect to them.

What would you want to put in a mysb.com playlist? A list of internet radio stations? (I vaguely recall you posting something along those lines before.) For that I would suggest using mysb.com Favorites instead.

Yes, one thing would be saving a group of radio stations( examples,talk,jazz,,classical,country,college football stations, etc.) thank you.

aubuti
2010-09-20, 08:30
Imo this would be better handled much better by grouping of favorites than by making "playlists" of stations. This kind of organization of favorites is possible in SBS but not in mysb.com. I believe this is a feature that Logitech would genuinely like to add to mysb.com (or at least at one time they had high hopes for the mysb interface), so if you haven't voted for the enhancement request yet I suggest that you do. It's bug 8692 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8692).

Phil Karn
2010-09-29, 02:56
Every 5 minutes, like clockwork but sometimes even more often, the
squeezeboxserver running on my Linux box opens a HTTP connection to
www.myqueezebox.com and performs a GET.

I've turned off all sorts of network syncing options and other features
I've never used but the GETs continue. It appears to repeatedly pull
down some sort of menu that never changes.

I run a local server to be as self-sufficient as possible, and aside
from connecting on request to external audio sources such as Sirius
Radio and the Internet Archive, I see little reason for my server to
ever talk to the outside world, much less every 5 minutes even when it's
idle. Is there any way to turn it off, or at least knock the frequency
way down? Thanks.

Phil