PDA

View Full Version : Removing duplicates of tracks in 1 album?

Steve W
2010-09-17, 16:17
For some reason the tracks listed under one of my albums in my music library has 2 entries for each track. On investigation it turns out that the duplicates are pointing at the same location but via my network rather than via my computer as an attached drive (my NAS appears under both Network and Computer).

So far I Have tried rescanning Music Library. Uninstalling SBS, reinstalling and then rescanning. Deleting the offending folder, rescanning (it is removed from the music list on SBS), then putting the folder back and rescanning - it reappeared but with the duplicate entries..... So any other way of getting rid of the duplicate tracks?

Steve W
2010-09-18, 06:59
I've still not resolved this duplication issue, so would appreciate any suggestions.

T-bird
2010-09-19, 15:26
Are the songs included in any playlists?
If yes, open the playlist in an texteditor like notepad and check the file path on this songs in the list

Mnyb
2010-09-19, 15:38
Playlist are strange for SBS they seems to actually spill over to the main dB ? .
Scanning a playlist is supposed to locate the files and make the playlist usefull for sbs , but it can actually add albums ?

If you created a playlist with another application that may have seen another path to same files ? that's a plausible explanation .

lrossouw
2010-09-19, 20:19
If SBS finds a new file in a playlists not scanned elsewhere it gets added to the library.

So if
1) your library is F:\Music (and this is how it is under SBS settings)
2) And the same music can be seen at \\NASSERVER\Music
3) And you have a playlist pointing to some songs on \\NASSERVER\Music

Then those songs will be duplicated as the server has now way of knowing that
F:\Music\song.mp3 and \\NASSERVER\Music\song.mp3 are actually the same songs.

Other things that cause this in a similar way:
- You could have a shortcut in F:\Music pointing to \\NASSERVER\Music
- Similar things can happen with itunes where you imported folders with different mappings into itunes
- And also musicip.

Steve W
2010-09-21, 12:44
Right, thanks, that seems to be my problem. The flac files all live in the same place on the NAS (backup is elsewhere), but the PC has 2 different paths to those files. One under my computer (looks like an attached drive) and the other under network places as a NAS.

Any thoughts on how I can prevent SBS offering the same music as two different versions under differing paths in its library? Firstly how to correct the current duplications would be good. I'm still yet to manage it.

PS I'm not using iTunes...

aubuti
2010-09-21, 13:06
Any thoughts on how I can prevent SBS offering the same music as two different versions under differing paths in its library? Firstly how to correct the current duplications would be good. I'm still yet to manage it.

PS I'm not using iTunes...
It's all about cleaning up any playlists or shortcuts you have. SBS will only look at the place you specify as the library location under Settings > Basic (eg, \\NASSERVER\Music\song.flac). But if that place has a playlist or shortcut that points to F:\Music\song.flac you'll get the duplicate.

Search your playlists (.m3u or .pls) for the string corresponding to the aberrant path. If all your tracks are seen as \\NAS\share\track then search for tracks with the assigned drive letter, and vice versa. If you find any, then edit the playlists to make the path correspond to the paths used for the rest of your library. Do a clear and rescan and you should be all set.

If you don't have any such cases in your playlists (or don't have playlists) then look for rogue shortcuts.

Steve W
2010-09-24, 09:12
I've just found time to have a look at this but can not find any files with extension .m3u or .pls.

This may be a dumb question but what sort of short cut am I looking for? The odd thing is that it is only about 1% of albums that have duplicated tracks in them with the dual path to the same album in the same location.

Edit: Odd as I would expect all the albums to be showing the same duplication?