PDA

View Full Version : Possible to install SBS on Buffalo Linkstation?

Steve W
2010-09-17, 15:57
I've searched but can not find reference as to whether this is possible? All my flac files sit on a 2tb Buffalo Linkstation Pro and I'm thinking that installing SBS on that may save the need to have the current PC running SBS switched on when listening to music?

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 16:05
I did use the Buffalo Linkstation quite a while for Squeezebox Server.
But its very slow and it doesn't make much fun (also it's quite some fiddling to get it working).

On the 3rd party hardware forum there are plenty of threads and tutorials to install SBS on a Linkstation.

In the meantime I switched to a SheevaPlug. Its a lot more powerful than the linkstation, installation is easy too (there are also some threads about it here).
You can access all you mp3s on the LinkStation of course.

dogsnadgers
2010-09-18, 00:46
[QUOTE=bluegaspode;577291]I did use the Buffalo Linkstation quite a while for Squeezebox Server.
But its very slow and it doesn't make much fun (also it's quite some fiddling to get it working).

Agreed - sold mine and swapped to an Atom based PC server, it wasn't too slow but is fiddly to install and update SBS - as you already have a Linkstation you can do it if you are comfortable with writing scripts, the possibility that you could 'brick' the unit and you are probably voiding your warranty if you still have one because you are hacking into the units firmware.

Dave