PDA

View Full Version : Using Squeezebox Touch with External DAC

Touchuser
2010-09-17, 05:48
Hi
Can an external DAC be used with the Touch? In other words, is there a digital out? And if there is, will the Touch pass through wireless to the digital out? I really like the Touch concept, but the DAC in it isn't as good as the one I had been using and I'd like the best of both worlds...
Thanks
S

Apesbrain
2010-09-17, 06:07
Yes, the Touch has both coaxial and optical digital outputs on its rear panel. It can easily be connected to an external DAC and it will "pass-through" whatever it receives.

Product Manual:
http://www.logitech.com/assets/30072/documentation.pdf

Touchuser
2010-09-17, 06:40
That's just what I need to know!

Phil Leigh
2010-09-17, 10:16
Hi
Can an external DAC be used with the Touch? In other words, is there a digital out? And if there is, will the Touch pass through wireless to the digital out? I really like the Touch concept, but the DAC in it isn't as good as the one I had been using and I'd like the best of both worlds...
Thanks
S

How on earth do you KNOW the DAC in the Touch isn't as good as the one you've been using? - you cannot tell that until you listen to them both!

Touchuser
2010-09-17, 12:00
by listening; how on earth would you think I'd KNOW?

Phil Leigh
2010-09-17, 12:08
by listening; how on earth would you think I'd KNOW?

Well I kind of assumed that if you'd listened to one you'd KNOW it had a digital output!

Touchuser
2010-09-17, 12:15
Thanks to Apesbrain for his to-the-point, helpful and considerate answer. Phil, you could learn about life, let alone being a helpful forum member, from Apesbrain.
All best
S

ralphpnj
2010-09-17, 13:29
Thanks to Apesbrain for his to-the-point, helpful and considerate answer. Phil, you could learn about life, let alone being a helpful forum member, from Apesbrain.
All best
S

With all respect, Phil is easily one of the most helpful, knowledgeable and (usually) very respectful of this forum's members. On the other hand he does have kind of a pet peeve about audiophiles going by other people's opinions rather than using their own ears. For some reason or other your initial post seemed to have hit he hot button.

The Touch's analog outputs are really quite good and the Touch sounds better than many stand alone CD players and external DACs. I believe that what Phil was trying to say is that only by listening to and comparing both the sound of Touch's analog output versus the sound of the Touch feeding an external DAC can one decide which configuration sounds best.

I have my Touch's digital output connected to the DAC built into my Headroom Desktop amp only because I already owned the Headroom amp prior to purchasing the Touch and I like the sound of Headroom amp. So if you already own a good external DAC whose sound you are happy with, by all means use it conjunction with the Touch's digital outputs and enjoy the music.

Just remember that the Touch's analog output can easily hold its own many modestly priced audio systems and go easy on Phil, he's one of the good guys.

OutdoorXplorer
2010-09-18, 07:02
I have my Touch connected to MHDT Labs Havana. It have more analog sounding with the outboard DAC.

Touchuser
2010-09-18, 07:57
Ralph, thanks. I'm sure Phil is usually helpful; it's unpleasant, however, to be the exception when all you've done is to ask politely for advice. And there's no denying that his initial reply was both condescending and unhelpful.
The fact was that I'd compared the Squeezebox Touch analog output to three other DACs I own: Benchmark DAC 1, DacMagic, and a recently acquired DacPort USB device. (The first two had been in my bedroom system on and off for a while.) I did this the usual way: listen to the Touch, listen to another DAC, listen to the touch and so on, using the same hi-rez files. Not surprisingly, the Touch didn't do as well, as these other DACs are more expensive, etc. Hence my original question, whether the convenience of the Touch could be combined with more a capable DACs than Slim Devices could pack into a streaming device whose total cost was only 299.
Anyway, I've got the answer and, again, thanks to those forum members, including Outdoor Xplorer, who pitched in so far. I'd welcome other suggestions about outboard DACs that work well with the Touch.
Regards
S

Mnyb
2010-09-18, 08:34
Hi
Thanks
S

But if you have compared, why did you ask ? the digital outs are centimeters apart from the analog outs you have been using and as you have tried with other dac's ?

And if you see a touch irl it's obvius that it has digital outs ?

ncarver
2010-09-18, 10:48
The fact was that I'd compared the Squeezebox Touch analog output to three other DACs I own: ....

So I like others am totally confused by this post. How did you compare the sound of the Touch with/without external DACs and not know about the Touch's digital output? Were you were using some other source to drive the DACs?

souwalker
2010-09-19, 19:06
I am using the Touch analogue out to my pre-amp. I do not own, nor have I tried listening to the Touch via an external DAC so I really cannot comment of this BUT the analogue sounds fantastic and I would even say so that it sounds better then my stand alone CD player. This is just a personal comment.

Pat

Phil Leigh
2010-09-19, 23:27
All best
S

I believe I am reasonably qualified on both fronts, thanks.