PDA

View Full Version : Adjust the time clock in SB Touch

Evo7_Henry
2010-09-15, 06:49
Could anyone tell how can I adjust the time clock in SB Touch? because I found that around 10 mins faster than normal. Timezone is HKT. Please help.

JonWill
2010-09-15, 06:54
It picks up the time from SBS, which in turn picks up the time from your PC/ NAS/ whatever you're running SBS on. So that's the time you need to change!

Evo7_Henry
2010-09-15, 08:09
It picks up the time from SBS, which in turn picks up the time from your PC/ NAS/ whatever you're running SBS on. So that's the time you need to change!

Brilliant, thank you very much!!! :)

nygaala
2012-03-02, 07:31
My touch is loosing time. I'm running SBS on an external USB harddrive. The only way I can get a correct time is by disconnecting the power mains of the Touch and powering it up again. Any suggestions?

Lars

toby10
2012-03-02, 07:46
Once per week simply switch Touch to MySB.com then back to your Touch's server, this should correct the time drift.
Touch > Settings > Advanced > Network > Switch to MySB.com (may as well add this to your Home menu if you are going to do this weekly).

nygaala
2012-03-02, 08:01
Thanks for a quick reply! But still: shouldn't somebody either have considered using a better clock - or even an automatic update of the time?

Mnyb
2012-03-02, 09:43
Thanks for a quick reply! But still: shouldn't somebody either have considered using a better clock - or even an automatic update of the time?

there is an open bug for it.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17164

Also there is a workaround somewhere onnthe forum on how to install an ntp service on the Touch.

JohnSwenson
2012-03-02, 13:24

There are a couple issues here. The Touch is designed to get its time from a server. If you are connected to a server on your own computer or the MySB.com this works fine. The problem is if you are running the internal server only then you are in a viscious circle, the Touch gets its time from the server and the server gets its time from the Touch!

Any connection to an external server will set the time, but that means you have to have an internet connection AND you explicetly swith to an external server.

You can manually set the time, but you can't do it from the gui, you have to login from another computer and type a command in.

As to why the clock runs slow or fast, its because the use time are using the "linux system time", this is kept by software running off interrupts generated from the main processor clock, it not guaranteed to be very accurate. The Touch DOES have a real time clock in hardware which is WAY more accurate than "system" time, but nothing looks at it. There are some commands that will copy the RTC to system time and the other way as well but these are not being used now. In addition there is no battery on the RTC, so it gets reset when you unplug the power.

What's needed is as an applet that gives the user a GUI for setting the time, which sets both the system time and RTC. Then every hour copies the RTC to system time. In addition you would need to change the existing update time from external server code to change the RTC as well as the system time.

Someone else has figured out how load an NTP client onto the Touch, this goes out on the internet and grabs the time from a time server (not a squeezebox server) it works independantly of what squeezebox server you are connected to, but you have to have an internet connection for this to work.

John S.

Mnyb
2012-03-02, 13:33
If you use the onboard server Touch is supposed to reach out to mysb.com and get the time even if not connected .
This is broken according to the bug

But they do assume an Internet connection .

IMO a bit silly to not use the RTC if it is there .

So Touch will always keep lousy time standalone .

nygaala
2012-03-18, 13:51
Really strange - now my Touch is running like (sic ...) a clockwork! I haven't used it for a week just to see ... - and the time is still spot on! Only change is that I'm now using a 64 GB USB storage instead of the external USB harddrive! Is it a miracle or or what ....? Could the problem be caused by the harddrive hibernating?

toby10
2012-03-19, 03:44
It is keeping perfect time only running & using Touch's own server? No LMS on a computer and not switching to MySB.com at all?

nygaala
2012-03-19, 05:27
It hasn't been turned on for the past week or so, just showing the time display - and apart from changing the storage the setup is as it has been all the time: WI-FI connection to my router, no connection to any PC, tinySBS on the storage device.

toby10
2012-03-19, 07:32
Well, if true, that is good to hear. Maybe they improved the Touch's clock to be more accurate on it's own? Maybe they now have some sort of "check in" running in the background to MySB.com or some other internet time service? I suppose the only way to check for sure is to use Touch completely on it's own without any external server(no LMS server running on a computer) and no internet access (can't connect to MySB.com server) and see if it maintains accurate time.

Mnyb
2012-03-19, 08:18
Have you upgraded lately ? the bug is not fixed , but who knows sometimes issues fix themselves when something else is updated ?

toby10
2012-03-20, 03:05
Yeah, unless he is running some new beta version. Even then there would be more buzz on the bug postings.
I'm wondering if his Touch might be switching servers and he is not aware of it.