PDA

View Full Version : alarm clock features



John Riedl
2004-08-30, 07:33
Hello all.

What's the status of the alarm clock? I have been using an audiotron in
my bedroom, and it has great alarm clock functionality, with several
independent alarms, each with separate on/off functions for different
days. I would like to move one of my slim devices up to my bedroom, but
the alarm functionality is, well, pathetic. I can't even figure out how
to set different weekday/weekend settings.

So: I'm thinking about upgrading it ... but: (a) I notice an Alarm
plugin that has recent work being done; and (b) I'm assuming others have
had the same problem and are doing something about it. What is the
current status, and what features does your alarm package support? What
features do you not have that you would like to see added?

I was disappointed to see that the Alarm plugin requires a recent
nightly to access the new INPUT features. When will those features be
in a release?

Thanks,
John

kdf
2004-08-30, 09:43
Quoting John Riedl <riedl (AT) cs (DOT) umn.edu>:

> Hello all.
>
> What's the status of the alarm clock? I have been using an audiotron in
> my bedroom, and it has great alarm clock functionality, with several
> independent alarms, each with separate on/off functions for different
> days. I would like to move one of my slim devices up to my bedroom, but
> the alarm functionality is, well, pathetic. I can't even figure out how
> to set different weekday/weekend settings.
The alarm that is included with the server is intended to provide only basic
function. That being, one alarm repeated every 24 hours unless its set to off.
>
> So: I'm thinking about upgrading it ... but: (a) I notice an Alarm
> plugin that has recent work being done; and (b) I'm assuming others have
> had the same problem and are doing something about it. What is the
> current status, and what features does your alarm package support? What
> features do you not have that you would like to see added?

The plugin, basicaly also written by the same person (me), adds other features
such as snooze, weekday and weekend limits, ability to edit two lines of the
lpugin code to make as many alarms as you want by installing more copies of the
plugin. The recent work uses much of the new input modes in the server in order
to strip down the size of the plugin and to let it make use of server
development in future.

>
> I was disappointed to see that the Alarm plugin requires a recent
> nightly to access the new INPUT features. When will those features be
> in a release?

I'm not sure when 5.3 is planned for release, but email me offlist and I can get
you a version of the plugin that will work for the server v5.2.1. The features
are the same, but it uses its own code for everything.

-kdf