PDA

View Full Version : Bad hifi day

JonWill
2010-09-03, 14:05
Fired by my renewed enthusiasm for music caused by my ever expanding family of Squeezeboxes I decide to renovate my Linn Axis turntable which had been "modified" by toddlers. Turned out to be much more expensive than planned, as the over-complicated PSU was failing...

After a month of waiting (and a new baby) I pile children into the car, drive for an hour and pick up my renewed toy. Back home I rush to the living room to connect it to my amp. And smash the cover on the door. Never mind, I think, despite my tarnished new toy, I can still play records... So I try and attach it to my amp. And smash the phono stage input socket. So i can't even listen to it. Solution is a second hand phono amp now on order.

But I am in trouble with wife for overspending AND I don't have a record player. Bad day... But just wanted to share :(

spedinfargo
2010-09-07, 14:12
Fired by my renewed enthusiasm for music caused by my ever expanding family of Squeezeboxes I decide to renovate my Linn Axis turntable which had been "modified" by toddlers. Turned out to be much more expensive than planned, as the over-complicated PSU was failing...

After a month of waiting (and a new baby) I pile children into the car, drive for an hour and pick up my renewed toy. Back home I rush to the living room to connect it to my amp. And smash the cover on the door. Never mind, I think, despite my tarnished new toy, I can still play records... So I try and attach it to my amp. And smash the phono stage input socket. So i can't even listen to it. Solution is a second hand phono amp now on order.

But I am in trouble with wife for overspending AND I don't have a record player. Bad day... But just wanted to share :(

Brutal! I thought I was listening to a country music song for a minute there... Misery loves company - good post.

iPhone
2010-09-07, 16:11
Brutal! I thought I was listening to a country music song for a minute there... Misery loves company - good post.

I didn't see anything about his pickup truck, his dog leaving him, or that his wife doesn't have a pedigree, so I knew I wasn't reading the newest country song. But being as it applies to our hobby and ranks high on the scale of bad days, it sure won't take much more then adding some beer, a pickup truck and a dog to get it in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

JonWill
2010-09-07, 23:41
"My tunrtable gone and left me..."

Actually got the phono amp and have now finally been able to bore the family with comparisons between vinyl, CD and Squeezebox supplied music.

Am happy as long as I can't see the cracks in the smudgily glued lid ...

dennis55
2010-09-08, 02:12
well,don't keep us in suspenders..............wot's ur "new" phono stage?.
and did your family express a preference for which kind of noises coming from your setup.........:)

dennis

JonWill
2010-09-08, 03:03
It's a Project Phono Box (the first version) ... and it sounds great. The turntable sounds better than I remember it, and in my brief (and much maligned) listening tests I think the Linn Axis came out top - a little more of a complete sound. The Squeezebox and my Arcam Alpha Plus are much of a muchness ...

My family, on the other hand, couldn't give two hoots. Although they do like the convenience of the SBs ...