PDA

View Full Version : Cheap active speakers?

TheLastMan
2010-08-31, 07:06
I am looking for a pair of small, 2 way, active stereo speakers for a used Receiver I am being offered (the owner is splitting a Duet - keeping the Controller but replacing the Receiver with a Transporter).

The Receiver / Speaker combo will be going into my daughter's room. She has an iPod Touch with iPeng already.

Budget circa 75 ($100)

My daughter's criteria in order of priority are:
1. Price
2. Sound Quality
3. Good looks
4. Size
5. Sound level (do not need to go loud)

"Boom" equivalent sound quality would be great. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

maggior
2010-08-31, 07:59
In our kitchen, we use a Klipsch iGroove HG. It has an iPod dock on it, but it also has a line in. The sound is great - a little better than the Boom IMO. It's small and sharp looking. It isn't made any more, but I think you can find deals on refurbs or used.

The current version is called the iGroove SXT. It's a bit above your budget ($150). Perhaps you can find one in a store and audition the sound quality.

TheLastMan
2010-08-31, 12:44
The current version is called the iGroove SXT. It's a bit above your budget ($150). Perhaps you can find one in a store and audition the sound quality.
Yes, I know the budget is challenging, but that is how much she has to spend (and why I am asking here!). Klipsch stuff is not common in the UK, but actually an iPod dock with speakers and an AUX input might be the way to go, as she could dock her iPod as well on one power lead.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some digging.

maggior
2010-08-31, 13:11
Yes, I know the budget is challenging, but that is how much she has to spend (and why I am asking here!). Klipsch stuff is not common in the UK, but actually an iPod dock with speakers and an AUX input might be the way to go, as she could dock her iPod as well on one power lead.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some digging.

With the iGroove HG, the line-in jack is located right next to the iPod dock connector. So, in order to dock the iPod, you would have to unplug the cable connected to the line-in. Not an optimal solution. I'm not sure how the new version (SXT) is laid out.

You can also use an old set of powered PC speakers you may have laying about. I have an old set from a Gateway 2000 machine from way back when that work well. Though they probably wouldn't rank highly on the "good looks" factor :-).

With some digging, I think you'll find what you want - I don't think you are way out in your expectations.

Perhaps somebody from the UK will respond with some suggestions that are readily available there.

Dogberry2
2010-08-31, 13:19
Take a look at the Logitech Z523 speakers. On Amazon UK they're currently priced around 70, and they're quite good for the price.

RonM
2010-08-31, 18:23
If you're looking for a 2.0 set, the Bose Companion 2 series II are great speakers, can be found on sale (regularly about $150, I see them on for $99 in Canada).

For 2.1, the Logitech speakers referenced above are solid.

R.

maggior
2010-08-31, 20:05
I heard those Bose speakers in a store recently and was impressed by them. Generally, I'm not a big Bose fan. Their gear sounds good, but I always find something that sounds better or just as good for less.

However, for $99 (which is what Amazon is currently selling them for), I think it's a good deal. My impression was that the sound was crisp and balanced with well rounded bass.

They have the basic PC speaker look - nothing special, but not ugly either.

TheLastMan
2010-09-01, 02:49
I heard those Bose speakers in a store recently and was impressed by them. Generally, I'm not a big Bose fan. Their gear sounds good, but I always find something that sounds better or just as good for less.

However, for $99 (which is what Amazon is currently selling them for), I think it's a good deal. My impression was that the sound was crisp and balanced with well rounded bass.

They have the basic PC speaker look - nothing special, but not ugly either.
Like many US brands sold in the UK, Bose are over-priced. Generally for US products the exchange rate is $1.00 = 1.00 when comparing the US price with the UK one. So the Bose speakers are 100 rather than the 66 that the true exchange rate of $1 = 0.66 would imply, and which would be competitive with similar speakers from other manufacturers.

Mind you they are much better looking than Logitech speakers (to my eyes at least) so I might top-up my daughters funds so she can buy them if she prefers them to the Logitech. She does not want a sub-woofer so I am comparing them to the Logitech Z520 (http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/5859)(ugly or what!) which I can pick up for about 68.

I have given up on the iPod dock with Aux input as an alternative, as anything decent is about twice her budget and probably not as good sounding. She only has an 8GB iPod, all her music is on the SBS server anyway, and she likes to surf Napster. So she tends to iPeng rather than iPod when listening at home. Having her do that in her own room rather than on the livingroom hi-fi will be worth a little extra funding!

As an aside, my main PC is still connected to a pair of Altec Lansing active speakers from a 1996 vintage Gateway PC, the only bit of it I still own. They are great sounding, albeit plug-ugly. Pity Altec Lansing don't sell anything like it still (at least in the UK). They only seem to make tiny and tinny speakers at 30 or 5.1 multimedia sets.

JonWill
2010-09-01, 03:06
These Creative speakers always get good reviews ...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2009/03/12/Creative-Gigaworks-T40-Series-II/p1

Look good and are in your price bracket. Haven't heard them myself, but if you like them might snap up a pair!

Mnyb
2010-09-01, 04:16
Fostex PM 04

I use them in my kitchen.

Very neat power sypply in ech speaker and volume controll at the backside etc

Robin Bowes
2010-09-01, 06:37
On 01/09/10 10:49, TheLastMan wrote:

> I have given up on the iPod dock with Aux input as an alternative, as
> anything decent is about twice her budget and probably not as good
> sounding. She only has an 8GB iPod, all her music is on the SBS server
> anyway, and she likes to surf Napster. So she tends to iPeng rather
> than iPod when listening at home. Having her do that in her own room
> rather than on the livingroom hi-fi will be worth a little extra
> funding!

How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230486998081

Might get one for my daughter!

R.

TheLastMan
2010-09-01, 08:28
These Creative speakers always get good reviews ...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2009/03/12/Creative-Gigaworks-T40-Series-II/p1

Look good and are in your price bracket. Haven't heard them myself, but if you like them might snap up a pair!
That's more like it, in fact the T20 model looks to be just the ticket (if it sounds OK). Certainly better looking than the Logitech and is closer to a conventional hi-fi speaker and half the price of the Bose.

Fostex PM 04
Nice. Unfortunately way out of my daughter's price bracket - more the sort of thing I would buy for myself!