PDA

View Full Version : IPAD users - 2nd app appears in store

kantblue
2010-08-30, 01:50
Hi all

Don't know if anyone has noticed but a second squeezebox app for the iPad is now in the app store (uk). I haven't tried it as I'm using ipeng/squeezepad.

It's called squeezey.

Any takers/comments.

Kantblue

RBM
2010-08-30, 03:05
Took one for the team... ;-)

Quite spartan at the moment: just browsing/playing Artists/Albums/Genres/Playlists from SBS. No playlist mangement, settings management, player management, MySB integration, Radio, App support, etc.

Supports playback on the iPad itself though (it appears in the list of available Squeezeboxes), but MP3-only (other formats need to be transcoded to MP3 on the SBS).

Layout mimics Apple's iPod App.

jimbof
2010-08-30, 06:43
Hi,

I'm the author of Squeezey - a squeezebox streamer and remote for the ipad. The current headline feature is the music streaming - the interface / options supported is quite basic at the moment.

The current version supports:

Playback on ipad - as noted this requires transcoding to be setup - see instructions on http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAMEForTranscoding to make sure you have this configured.

Support for album / artist / genre menus and playback.

Please note that it doesn't support authorisation yet, so nothing will work if you have that enabled.

The plan moving forwards is to start fixing up bits of the interface, while rolling in more complete squeezeOS support. The next version will have

1) Authorisation
2) A power button!
3) Random playlist support
4) A number of bug fixes.

After that the order of business is something like:

1) Now playing screen
2) Better album browsing (which will mean introducing album art & art caching).
3) Full squeezeplay menu integration (so plugin support, radio support, etc).

I'm happy to hear any feedback on any aspect of the program, and if you cant get it to work please post here and I will do my best to help you out.

Finally a couple of screens of the next version, and the (very much WIP) now playing screen.

Now playing portrait:
http://squeezesetup.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_00411-e1283176372314.png
Now playing landscape:
http://squeezesetup.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_00401-e1283176397157.png
Main screen (with power and random play options)
http://squeezesetup.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_00391-e1283176416385.png

Icebird2000
2010-08-31, 11:17
Hello, I've got an Problem with this App.
The App. Start with "connecting to squeezeserver"
Now there is "Loading Cache 1428/1429 loaded" and it Hang.
I can't use the App. Turn off wifi and clean the Cache doesn't fix the Problem.

Thanks for your help.

Icebird

jimbof
2010-08-31, 12:01
Hi Icebird - thanks so much for posting - its very frustrating when people just leave bad reviews.

I would like to see the cometd logs from when the app is started up - I've sent you a PM with my email address and instructions for enabling logging - if anything isn't clear, please just post here again,

James

johnnydarko
2010-09-01, 02:41
This app looks interesting. Does it do gapless audio on the iPad?

jimbof
2010-09-01, 12:06
Hi - I'm afraid the audio is gappy at the moment

kphinney
2010-09-01, 20:33
Hi,

I'm the author of Squeezey...

It looks very promising for the bohemian accommodations I now have while on assignment. I have a few questions and a request before I decide to purchase though:

Your recommend using the Slimdevices link for LAME set up. Terribly, they recommend iTunes-LAME. I don't let iTunes anywhere near my FLAC collection. What other options do you know of? (This one is a deal breaker since my 700GB FLAC collection is staying as-is and at present is only accessed by Squeezeserver -> Transporter.)

Second, can this app be ported to an iPhone 4 running 4.x in the future and will it necessitate a second purchase or will that particular upgrade simply add iPhone compatibility?

Best,
K

gharris999
2010-09-02, 00:33
It looks very promising for the bohemian accommodations I now have while on assignment. I have a few questions and a request before I decide to purchase though:

Your recommend using the Slimdevices link for LAME set up. Terribly, they recommend iTunes-LAME. I don't let iTunes anywhere near my FLAC collection. What other options do you know of? (This one is a deal breaker since my 700GB FLAC collection is staying as-is and at present is only accessed by Squeezeserver -> Transporter.)

Second, can this app be ported to an iPhone 4 running 4.x in the future and will it necessitate a second purchase or will that particular upgrade simply add iPhone compatibility?

Best,
K
I think that iTunes-LAME is only for OSX. And iTunes-LAME is only called such since it's used primarily as an mp3 encoder for iTunes. I don't think you actually need iTunes to use it. That bundle is just an easy way of getting your hands on a OSX LAME binary. If you're running SBS on something other than OSX, any version of LAME ought to do.

jimbof
2010-09-02, 12:39
The post above is correct - you don't need to have anything to do with itunes - you just need lame available to do the transcoding.

The streaming code has been written to be portable to both os x and the iphone (although that basically required no extra effort!), but I'm only thinking about the ipad version at the moment.

kphinney
2010-09-02, 20:44
Any suggestions where to find a lite LAME to run background on an old G4 mini?

And having the ability to control and stream to/from an iPhone would be excellent. I've been hoping iPeng would add this someday.

jimbof
2010-09-16, 13:48
A quick post to say that version 1.2 has just gone up on the App Store. This version introduces a now playing screen (tap the album art), and a new interface designed to give a bit more room to add features later. It also has random play, authtication support and a load of bug fixes (the cache load issue and unicode problems being the most obvious, but there are many more). I especially want to thank Icebird2000 - without his log files and testing this version would be much worse off.

Anyway, if you have any opinions on the new version (or any problems) I'd love to know - just post here and I'll try to help you out.

jimbof
2010-09-16, 13:53
@kphinney you could try using fink - www.finkproject.org - it looks like it has ppc versions of lame available going back to 10.4, or maybe http://www.thalictrum.com/index.php?pageid=6&artid=6. But I have not tried either, so make no promises as to how useful they are - and would strongly recommend making sure they do work before getting the app!

tonysawford
2010-09-19, 01:06
Could you possibly implement a cancel function for the cache refresh? I rebuilt my library (just under 20000 albums) a few days ago, which meant that when I next fired up Squeezey it tried to re-add everything to its cache (and yes, I have seen the entry about this in the FAQ :-)) The problem I encountered was that the program crashed part-way through the refresh. I re-booted the iPad, just to make sure that memory was freed up, and restarted Squeezey, which started refreshing its cache, but it just hung, displaying "32333/19853". I left it for a looooong time, but it didn't change. I tried quitting & restarting, but to no avail. And, of course, while the cache is being refreshed you can't do anything else. In the end, the only thing that I could do was uninstall the program & re-download it from the app store, which seems a bit of a drastic solution. What I would have liked to have done is cancel the refresh, then go into the settings dialog & empty it. So is there any chance that you can implement a "cancel" function for the refresh? Alternatively, how about not starting the refresh immediately, but having a dialog pop up with two options, allowing you to choose whether to add new items to the cache or rebuild it from scratch? If the user didn't select an option within a short time (3 - 4s, maybe) it would default to adding new items (i.e., the current behaviour).

Cheers,
Tony

jimbof
2010-09-19, 08:28
@Tony - the cancel option is a good idea - I will look at putting that into the next version. I guess a slightly less drastic action would be to disable the network on the ipad - that way you would have been able to get into the interface and clear the cache.

tonysawford
2010-09-19, 10:44
I guess a slightly less drastic action would be to disable the network on the ipad - that way you would have been able to get into the interface and clear the cache.

Doh! I never thought of doing that...

never2clever
2010-09-20, 19:56
I just bought this app, and am eager to try it, but I can't seem to get it to talk to my server.

One wierdness: my iPad doesn't seem to talk to my local DNS, so I need to use the IP address (even in Safari). But using the IP address, I can talk to the squeeze server through Safari.

But, when I put the IP address (and port number) into the Squeezy setting, nothing happens. (this is different than if I put in the name of the server, in which case I get a "Connection Error: Cannot find host" error)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (either on making Squeezy work, or the more general iPad networking issue)

thanks!

mike

jimbof
2010-09-21, 14:49
@Mike - Are you the same Mike who emailed and is working now? If not drop me a PM and I'll be in touch.

never2clever
2010-09-22, 12:58
In case it comes up for anyone else, Squeezy doesn't seem to work with older versions of Squeeze Center. Upgrading from 7.5.1 (from 7.3) solved my problems.

@jimbof - yes, I am the same mike

Jackisidore
2010-10-01, 14:05
Installed Squeezey on my new iPad. I wanted playback and it worked instantly. Interface is a little spartan but I kinda like that.
To my surprise it doesn't play in the background. A stream in safari does play in the background. Should it play in the background??

pippin
2010-10-01, 17:12
Apps currently can't play in the background on iPad.

Line
2010-10-02, 17:30
Welllll, since my government says I can jailbreak my iPad now (bahaha) I am able to run this application in the background. It, coupled with Squeezepad and iPeng has made me a very happy person.

I can now access my music in Southern California from Cairo through my iPad, anywhere I want.

VICTORY! Gapped playback and 320kbps won't kill me for now.

Line
2010-10-06, 21:25
Ooh and podcasts are all garbled, but not certain radio stations like GrooveSalad. Can anyone duplicate this? Or just on my end =\

jimbof
2010-11-12, 02:49
Just a quick note to say that there is an ios 4 compatible version in the store now. The release is mainly bug fixes - nothing major has been added other than changes to make it happier on ios 4. The cache format has been changed - so if you have any problems after the upgrade I would recommend clearing the cache to see if that helps. To do that you can go into the settings screen (the gear icon) and use the clear cache button.

Next up is full backgrounding support - the code is nearly finished - just a couple of bugs left, so aiming to submit fairly soon.

never2clever
2010-11-25, 07:29
Sorry if this is a wrong place for this but the main reason I want it is with Squeezy, and there is a lot of iPad expertise here...

My iPad doesn't seem to do local DNS. If using squeezy or Safari I give the server by name, it fails. (And Safari adds .com - i am not sure if squeezy does the same). So if using Safari I ask for http://chestnut:9000, it tells me chestnut.com can't be found.

Everything works great if I refer to things by IP address (192.168.1....), but since I used dynamic IP addresses, each time I use squeezy, I need to hunt down the server IP address and reload the library.

DNS works fine from my windows boxes, and the logitech devices (I just got a new squeezebox boom in addition to the duet i had - they just found "chestnut").

The router is a linksys wrt610n.

mg

Phil Leigh
2010-11-25, 08:30
Sorry if this is a wrong place for this but the main reason I want it is with Squeezy, and there is a lot of iPad expertise here...

My iPad doesn't seem to do local DNS. If using squeezy or Safari I give the server by name, it fails. (And Safari adds .com - i am not sure if squeezy does the same). So if using Safari I ask for http://chestnut:9000, it tells me chestnut.com can't be found.

Everything works great if I refer to things by IP address (192.168.1....), but since I used dynamic IP addresses, each time I use squeezy, I need to hunt down the server IP address and reload the library.

DNS works fine from my windows boxes, and the logitech devices (I just got a new squeezebox boom in addition to the duet i had - they just found "chestnut").

The router is a linksys wrt610n.

mg

You really should put your sbs on a static/router-reserved ip address, it can pre-empt various problems

Jackisidore
2010-12-12, 07:12
Installed the update this morning. Background playback is working great. I control the Squeezey player with iPeng. Finally I can listen properly to my music with headphones and walk around!
Thanks!

vdeknock
2010-12-17, 06:48
Hi just got your app and not having much luck. I am sure I am missing something.

I run SBS on a vortexbox, I changed the main port to be 9000 instead of 9001. If you run twonkymedia on the same box you have to use 9001 for SBS. This is not an issue for me at the moment.

I also have ipad for ipeng and that works fine.

ipad is running the latest os4+ something.

You state that port 3483 must be open - could be the issue, what do I need to do for this??

The issue - I start Squeezey, , i get a screen connecting to SqueezeServer which last for 5 to 10 sec and then it goes back to the home page.

I am looking to stream music to the ipad without the need to sync all my music.

vdeknock
2010-12-17, 23:40
Just installed the new version and I am now streaming music to my ipad. Looks like it was not my problem but an issue with the version.

never2clever
2011-09-10, 18:21
I just tried squeezey for the first time in several months, and it didn't work. (it used to work just fine).

After "connecting to server," the "loading" little popup (and spinning disk) comes up, and stays. Indefinitely. Until the device goes to sleep.

My SqueezeCenter has updated itself to 7.6.1 - could that be the culprit?

Is there a way to "break" the loading so that I can check the settings (and make sure it is connecting to the server)?

Is there something else that might have caused things to break?

Thanks!

mg

bluegaspode
2011-09-10, 23:32
Is Squeezey still developed? Thought the author now works for pippin.

Tried it myself and cannot make it work either.
Given the amount of changes I had to put into SqueezePad to get it properly working with 7.6, probabilities are high, that indeed the server version breaks Squeezey compatibility as well.

pippin
2011-09-11, 04:52
Is Squeezey still developed? Thought the author now works for pippin.

Tried it myself and cannot make it work either.
Given the amount of changes I had to put into SqueezePad to get it properly working with 7.6, probabilities are high, that indeed the server version breaks Squeezey compatibility as well.

Well, he doesn't "work" for me but he developed iPeng's playback function.
I'll drop him a note, maybe he still doesn't regularly use 7.6, I dont think there are a lot of changes to the playback side of things in 7.6, the changes are all in the UI logic.