Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nolan
    • Sep 2006

Where have all the SB2's gone?

I'm using an old SB2 in my workshop which I got secondhand and it's started playing up in that the screen goes blank from time to time, usually after boot. I've had a look inside and can't see anything obvious.

Fine I figured, I'll check eBay, there must be loads of old SB devices going cheap on there

I was surprised that there isn't much older kit for sale and the stuff that is is going for a decent price.

Anyone know of any going cheap in the UK? The other option is to buy a new SB touch for the living room and relegate the SB3 to the workshop but it seems a shame to do that as the SB3 is perfect.

Nice to know the older kit is being looked after & holding it's price
  • tcutting
    • May 2008

I was in the market for a used SB2 back when I got my first squeezebox. Bought one off eBay for a decent price - except it turned out to be an SB1 - got a refund on that. Finally found a used wired-only SB3 on Craigslist (but Northern CA, so had to work out paypal/shipping)and the SB adventure began for real. Bottom line - it seems pretty hard to find older SBs at decent price - as you say, the good news is they hold their value!

Comment

• spedinfargo
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tcutting
      I was in the market for a used SB2 back when I got my first squeezebox. Bought one off eBay for a decent price - except it turned out to be an SB1 - got a refund on that. Finally found a used wired-only SB3 on Craigslist (but Northern CA, so had to work out paypal/shipping)and the SB adventure began for real. Bottom line - it seems pretty hard to find older SBs at decent price - as you say, the good news is they hold their value!

Yep - there's been a dearth of older SB devices on Ebay lately - there's a few SB3/Classics here and there that come across and once in a while a SB1 or Slimp3 or whatever, but I can't remember the last time I saw a SB2.

SB3 seem to go for quite a bit - I finally snagged one for a hundred bucks with no remote (although it's kind of touchy and freezes if I tap it just right)

Comment

• m1abrams
        • Jun 2005

SB2 saw a pretty short lifespan so there probably are just much less of them in circulation. The SB3 was released very soon after the SB2.

Comment

• gorman
          • Apr 2005

Unfortunately the SB2 is really tough to score on ebay. The form factor was nice for a variety of uses. The taller SB3 is more limited IMHO as far as positioning is concerned.

Comment

• mlsstl
            • Jan 2007

I think many of the SB3 and prior model users are simply happy campers and tend to keep their players until the unit just dies.

One trend that is widely evident on this forum at least is that a good percentage of users have multiple players. I know when my Touch arrived, the SB3 in the main system was immediately switched to a second system. The only way I might sell it is if I snagged another Touch for an extraordinary low price during one of those little publicized, short-lived promo code sales that pop up every now & then.

So I don't think it's hard to see why SB2s & 3s are fairly rare on eBay and similar sites.

Comment

• iPhone
              • Oct 2007

As has been said the SB2 was only out 7 months when it was replaced by the SB3 so there is a lower number of used ones available. The SB2 also makes a great unit for use in Custom Projects so when they do pop up for sale, they get snapped up fast.
              iPhone
              Media Room:
              ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
              Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
              Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
              Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
              Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
              Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
              Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
              Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• xio
                • Nov 2005

you also get lurkers like me who've been here from the start and got through most models - some get passed on, but mostly the system just grows. I currently have 6 in daily(ish) use, the oldest of which is a SBG (not many of those around!). I still have a slimp3 in a box kicking around that I think I'll use in some project or other - it works perfectly, but just sort of got superseded. I just tend to hang on to them as you can always find a use for another.

Comment

• nolan
                  • Sep 2006

Luckily the screen has started working again on my SB2? Maybe a bad contact I guess although that doesn't really tally with it being alive during boot and then going blank as soon as it becomes ready. Maybe a glitch withbthe brightness...

All the comments about retaining them are v true, I now have an SB2, 2* SB3's, a Boom and a Radio. I could probably still find room for one more

Comment

• iPhone
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by xio
                    you also get lurkers like me who've been here from the start and got through most models - some get passed on, but mostly the system just grows. I currently have 6 in daily(ish) use, the oldest of which is a SBG (not many of those around!). I still have a slimp3 in a box kicking around that I think I'll use in some project or other - it works perfectly, but just sort of got superseded. I just tend to hang on to them as you can always find a use for another.
                    You aren't a lurker, you're a Professional Forum Voyeur! Only 22 posts since 2005 and still hanging around. You either have a second username or need an award!

I would like to get a SliMP3 just to have one and an SB2 for a project I have in mind. I have been out bid every time.
                    iPhone
                    Media Room:
                    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

Working...