PDA

View Full Version : 5 year old Squeezebox2: working but silent

JJP
2010-08-25, 12:14
Hi, would appreciate any thoughts on whether I should consign my 5 year old SB2 to the scrapheap. This little unit's had a *lot* of use.

No recent changes to my system, but turned it on one day to discover it was silent.

Boots up fine and logs onto to my local squeezebox server. Loading any internet radio seems to work ok, buffers up fine, the current track name on Radioparadise shows up but the audio level screensaver stays static at about 3bars left&right & there's no sound output.

Playing tunes off my local library has the same effect: level bars are static, squeezecenter shows that the track is being played ok (ie the track time advances).

The rest of my players (4 SB2s & 3 booms) are working fine.

Running squeezebox server 7.5.1 - r30836. XP Pro.
Same problem if logged onto mysqueezebox.com
Hard reset of the player has no effect.
Have ensured it's not synced to any other players.
No router probs & as I say, the unit can access the internet.
No obvious probs on the player audio settings in SBServer settings.
Router/server powercycles of no help.
Amp works fine with another unit.
Pressing & holding '3' on SB powercycle (which I thought was supposed to give a test tone) just goes straight to 'Set Up Networking')

I'd normally suspect a router / firewall problem but the fact the rest of the players are fine suggests otherwise.

Should I stick it in the freezer for a few hours??
Or move to a Touch..

toby10
2010-08-25, 12:26
Best I can offer is trying a Xilinx reset (SB3 instructions, I presume it will work for SB2):
Unplug power, press and hold down the one (1) button on the remote, plug power back in (whilst continuing to hold down the one button) 1 = Xilinx

Might check different audio outs as well, but if your bars are flat then different audio outs are likely not a cure. :(

JJP
2010-08-25, 13:30
Best I can offer is trying a Xilinx reset (SB3 instructions, I presume it will work for SB2):
Unplug power, press and hold down the one (1) button on the remote, plug power back in (whilst continuing to hold down the one button) 1 = Xilinx

Might check different audio outs as well, but if your bars are flat then different audio outs are likely not a cure. :(

THANKS Toby. sorted.

Thought I'd tried pressing & holding '1' before but I think I bottled it & powered off when it said 'reprogramming'. I just needed to wait a few more seconds.

So, no excuse to buy a Touch.. ?

toby10
2010-08-25, 14:09
THANKS Toby. sorted.

Thought I'd tried pressing & holding '1' before but I think I bottled it & powered off when it said 'reprogramming'. I just needed to wait a few more seconds.

So, no excuse to buy a Touch.. ?

Well, ya know that Xilinx reset only works ten times, and this was your tenth Xilinx reset..... correct????

So, just to have a backup player, I'd recommend getting a Touch.
But JUST as a backup... mind you. ;)

Goodsounds
2010-08-25, 14:29
...(whilst continuing to hold down the one button) 1 = Xilinx :(

Whilst? What part of Ohio are you from, Sussex? ;-)

toby10
2010-08-26, 05:12
Whilst? What part of Ohio are you from, Sussex? ;-)

LOL ;)

That was a cut & paste from a long ago thread post offering the Xilinx reset as a potential fix. I presume the author was from England.
I give many speeches so I admire such a command of the English language, I just had to leave it in. :)