PDA

View Full Version : Start on one Squeezebox; continue on another

gjb
2010-08-24, 07:23
Hello all.

I'm thinking about taking the Squeezebox plunge, but I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer too.

If I have multiple SB units, can I use one to start listening to Pandora, then go to a different room, turn on another SB unit and have that pick up the same Pandora feed? Does this work with MP3s stored on my computer? To do this do I have to do anything on a computer, or can I just do this from the units themselves?

I know multiple units can play the same thing, but I didn't know if they all had to be on and start playing them at the same time.

thanks!

toby10
2010-08-24, 08:28
You simply set the players to Synchronize playback. This can be done from each player or from the server UI.
This works with your local music or Internet Radio or Music Services like Pandora.
You can Sync all players, some players, no players.

Skinny
2010-08-24, 08:51
You simply set the players to Synchronize playback. This can be done from each player or from the server UI.
This works with your local music or Internet Radio or Music Services like Pandora.
You can Sync all players, some players, no players.

.. and you can indeed sync/desync while playing. No need to stop / restart for that.

-Skinny

gjb
2010-08-24, 09:03
very cool.

But it makes me think of a couple follow up questions. So, using the SB Boom in the bedroom I turn on Pandora, or start playing an MP3. I go to the kitchen and turn on the SB Radio and sync to what the Boom is playing. Can the SB Radio then be used to change the song on both units, or is it just going to play whatever is happening on the Boom in the other room?

One more question - I start the SB Boom in the bedroom and turn on Pandora. From the Boom can I turn on the SB Radio in the other room and have it start playing Pandora, or do I need to physically go to the SB Radio and turn it on and sync it? If that doesn't work, can I turn on and start playing units from the computer or iPeng iPhone app?

Thanks so much for the quick responses!

Skinny
2010-08-24, 09:47
very cool.

Yes!

But it makes me think of a couple follow up questions. So, using the SB Boom in the bedroom I turn on Pandora, or start playing an MP3. I go to the kitchen and turn on the SB Radio and sync to what the Boom is playing. Can the SB Radio then be used to change the song on both units, or is it just going to play whatever is happening on the Boom in the other room?

Yes, the Radio, being one of the new generation of Squeezeboxes, can be used to control what's playing on both units. In fact, the Radio can be used to control what's playing on the Boom while something else (or nothing, for that matter) is playing on the Radio itself..

One more question - I start the SB Boom in the bedroom and turn on Pandora. From the Boom can I turn on the SB Radio in the other room and have it start playing Pandora, or do I need to physically go to the SB Radio and turn it on and sync it? If that doesn't work, can I turn on and start playing units from the computer or iPeng iPhone app?

The Boom, being of the old generation, cannot control other players, except for those that are already synced to it. You can manage sync from the WebUI on a computer, or the Radio (or SB Controller or Touch).

I am not familiar with iPeng myself, but I'm sure someone else can fill in on that.

-Skinny

Mnyb
2010-08-24, 12:25
Synced players acts as one player so changes can be made on any of them .

As described all the new players with the color display (controller,touch,radio,squeezeplay) can control any player on the same server, besides themselves, icluding all old models too .

There is also a cool plugin called "other players" where you can grab the playlist from another player or send the playlist to another player with out syncing, I use it sometimes.

snarlydwarf
2010-08-24, 13:00
The Boom, being of the old generation, cannot control other players, except for those that are already synced to it. You can manage sync from the WebUI on a computer, or the Radio (or SB Controller or Touch).

Though you could use the OtherPlayers plugin to 'send' or 'fetch' a playlist from one player to another, or even remotely control the volume on one.

I use the 'send playlist' reasonably often when moving from room to room.

Fozzy
2010-08-26, 17:00
I often using synchronisation to transfer the music from one room to another. There is a slight break when you first turn on synchronisation but after that all is fine.

As an example I can be listening to something on the boom is the bedroom and then add the classic downstairs in the lounge as a sync slave whereupon, as long as the classic is turned on, they start playing the same thing and either box can control playback. If I then turn off the boom the classic downstairs continues to play.

I don't have any of the newer squeezeboxes that can directly control another squeezebox other than via synchronisation and I don't know the iPhone application. I do have the SqueezeCommander Android application though which can control all the squeezebox including turning them on and off, editing the playlists, managing synchronisation etc. so the API is there on Squeezebox Server to do this which means if the iPhone application doesn't do it already it could do with some development.

trouty00
2010-08-27, 02:19
are you guys sure that this works even with internet radio, I'm in the UK so only use Last fm but if i add a player in to a group which is already playing last fm then it will actually sync them up and then actually advance a song.

It will not continue to play the same song that was playing pre-sync.

It works flawlessly with my library music but not with last fm.

Stu

lrossouw
2010-08-27, 03:02
are you guys sure that this works even with internet radio, I'm in the UK so only use Last fm but if i add a player in to a group which is already playing last fm then it will actually sync them up and then actually advance a song.

Stu

I think this works slightly differently. Before you sync your player was talking directly with last.fm. To make sync possible the pc takes over talking to last.fm and then sends out the synced streams to each player, otherwise it would be too difficult to sync the streams. I assume in the process of taking over it can't pause and needs to jump a track?

toby10
2010-08-27, 04:51

Stu

I'm guessing your players are using MySB.com and not a local SBS server?
Syncing works fine for internet radio and music services on both MySB and SBS with one exception: Last.fm on MySB

On SBS "Sync" means a single stream shared to multiple players.
On MySB "Sync" means each player gets it's own stream.

Last.fm does not allow multiple logins into the same account, so MySB restricts Last.fm playback to a single player per account.

Try syncing any other stream via MySB and it will sync up just fine. :)

trouty00
2010-08-27, 04:57
I only ever use my local squeeze server, it happily plays in syncs once it essentially reloads the feed but wont carry on playing the same last fm track across all players when adding a new player.

Maybe lrossouw is correct in saying that although the player is connected to the SBS it actually goes out to MYSB.

Though saying that if I have a two player synced playing last fm then it must already be being sent via my SBS so adding another player to teh sync group should not affect this but I can 100% guarantee it does as I've just double checked!

toby10
2010-08-27, 06:02
I only ever use my local squeeze server, it happily plays in syncs once it essentially reloads the feed but wont carry on playing the same last fm track across all players when adding a new player.

Maybe lrossouw is correct in saying that although the player is connected to the SBS it actually goes out to MYSB.

Though saying that if I have a two player synced playing last fm then it must already be being sent via my SBS so adding another player to teh sync group should not affect this but I can 100% guarantee it does as I've just double checked!

Upon initial SBS Sync it will stop playback on all players. But after Sync on SBS, if you press Play or FF it should play fine on all Synced players.
When using SBS it is really SBS that is logged into MySB, not the individual players. So MySB only sees one player (SBS).

At least, I think that is how it works. :)