PDA

View Full Version : Any way use Boom as a speaker to play movies on my PC?

chipmalee
2010-08-21, 16:59
Playing movies in Windows Media on my PC now. Need to pipe the sound to the Boom because all my lines on the PC have been taken and it's too messy to route more wires. Is there a way to pipe the sound wirelessly to the Boom?

SqueezeServer is allowing only iTunes...don't think there's any Windows Media setup. Tried everything and couldn't find any discussion on this matter.

I know it's pathetic to use a $200+ system as an external speaker but it will save a lot of messy wire rerouting.

snarlydwarf
2010-08-21, 17:09
Playing movies in Windows Media on my PC now. Need to pipe the sound to the Boom because all my lines on the PC have been taken and it's too messy to route more wires. Is there a way to pipe the sound wirelessly to the Boom?

Yes and no.

You could use waveinput to move arbitrary sound around.

as for doing this for anything where syncing is needed (ie, lipsyncing), no, you'll find that it is impossible to keep the sound synchronized with the video when you re-encode it, transmit it across a network, and then decode it.

chipmalee
2010-08-21, 18:02
This is the 1st time I've heard of WaveInput. Doing a google search gets me:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

So let me understand this, in order for external speaker concept to work, you must record (the sound from the movie), then broadcast it and thus the delay. Hmmm...what a bureaucratic process.

snarlydwarf
2010-08-21, 18:12
This is the 1st time I've heard of WaveInput. Doing a google search gets me:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

So let me understand this, in order for external speaker concept to work, you must record (the sound from the movie), then broadcast it and thus the delay. Hmmm...what a bureaucratic process.

No, you don't "record" it.

You have to take te sound from the movie, encode and/or encapsulate as a stream of some sort, transmit over wireless, then decode and output.

Do you really believe even just one step of that can have zero latency?

as for the process: that's the nature of rube goldberg processes -- if you don't wznt a complicated process, God made plain old audio cables for a reason. If you want to complicate the process by going back and forth from PCM to IP, then, well, that's your choice.

chipmalee
2010-08-21, 20:04
sorry...didn't mean to sound like a wiseguy. Trying to install WindInput now but got stuck on instructions.

If you saw my messy media setup, you'd sympathize why I'm trying to go wireless. No more output or USB ports left on the PC. Got wires running everywhere. This is also a test for the Boom before decide to whether to return it. Returned the SqueezeRadio earlier but think that Radio is better because of graphic interface. Only saving grace for the Boom would be the supersonic sound but haven't noticed any difference in sound.

Anyways trying to run WindInput. According to the wiki:
1. Locate the cache folder of Squeeze Center. Typically, it would be located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache".
2. Change into the "InstalledPlugins\Plugins\WaveInput" subdirectory.
3. Open the "install.xml" file
4. Find the tag called "<maxVersion>".
5. check if the version listed there matches your installed SC version. Wildcards are possible, e.g. enter "7.4.*"
6. restart SC and verify on the Plugins page that the change worked <= GOT LOST HERE

Got to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\Wav eInput\install.xml

and saw:
<minVersion>7.3</minVersion>
<maxVersion>7.*</maxVersion>

My Squeezebox Server Status: Version: 7.5.1 - r30836

So changed (via Notepad) to:
<maxVersion>7.5.*</maxVersion>

But no WindInput plugin appears in the Boom menu (only appears in SqueezeServer)

Thanks in advance.

Goodsounds
2010-08-21, 22:44
Wave Input won't work for what you're trying to do, it's meant for audio only content. The sound is delayed and so it will be out of sync with the picture.

You could use the Boom for sound for a movie on a PC but you'll need to use a wire. The one you need came in the box (3.5 mm male plugs on both ends, the same as is used to connect a smart phone or ipod/mp3 player to the aux input of a car audio system). Plug one end into the headphone or speaker jack of your PC, the other end into the back of the Boom.

Admittedly the designs and price points are only for casual listening, but you haven't noticed a difference in sound quality between the mono Radio and the stereo Boom?

As far as controlling it, I trust you know that when listening to your own music or internet "radio", you can control Squeeze devices from a browser window on a PC or any Wifi capable device?

Good luck

bpa
2010-08-22, 00:47
The WaveInput plugin needs no changes to work on any 7.5.* SBS so you editing of install.xml was unnecessary.

You seem to be fixing some problem without describing the problem to be fixed.

First, to check WaveInput installation - check if can you change the WaveInput plugin settings. If you can then the plugin is installed correctly.

Second, have you checked that your soundcard & driver provide the necessary copy of the audio stream by testing that you can record the PC audio stream using the Recorder accessory ?