PDA

View Full Version : A new look for SqueezePad

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 14:17
Hi guys,

more than one user asked if I didn't want to change the Look and Feel of SqueezePad to something more professional ... and me not being a graphics expert always told you "please provide some demo screenshots, it won't get better if I had to do it".

Now it has happened :D
Thanks to durufle we have the following proposal for a new look (and to be honest I'm itching to start on it).

BUT: I also promised you to implement better playlists and one of both has to wait - as its still only me who develops SqueezePad each night.

Implementing the new looks would delay better playlist about one/two weeks.
Implementing playlists takes at least four weeks, that's the time you had to wait before I could start on the changed looks.

As you paid the money (or in the words of erland: 'as you are the ones who spared one burger menu to buy SqueezePad) and I'm a big fan of customer involvement you get the choice in this poll of what is more important to you.

pippin
2010-08-21, 14:43
Hey, a page control... you will add swiping to SqueezePad ;)

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 14:55
No - that's an error in the mockup, swiping is the domain of iPeng.

amcluesent
2010-08-21, 14:58
>No - that's an error in the mockup.<

I don't like swiping...

Also, the Home/Albums/Artists/Genres buttons will be user-configurable I hope?

pippin
2010-08-21, 15:04
No - that's an error in the mockup, swiping is the domain of iPeng.

No, swiping is the domain of iPhone/iTouch.
And of SqueezePad, after all, it's one of your main means of menu navigation, isn't it?

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 15:35
Also, the Home/Albums/Artists/Genres buttons will be user-configurable I hope?

One step after the other :D
Configurable items will come - but will not be part of the looks overhaul.

No, swiping is the domain of iPhone/iTouch.
Page Controls are the domain of iPeng (and other iPhone Apps) I wanted to say ;) Won't introduce them in SqueezePad.

pippin
2010-08-21, 15:40
Page Controls are the domain of iPeng (and other iPhone Apps) I wanted to say ;) Won't introduce them in SqueezePad.

Oh no, iPad's Springboard (main menu) has one, too...
And a number of other iPad apps as well... FT comes to mind...

erland
2010-08-23, 22:34
I'm mostly interested in the new features, the page switching on the right area and the buttons on the bottom left area. An alternative to make the buttons configurable could be to show the last used main menus as buttons or even the most used main menus if you are able to track usage statistics.

The other parts looks nice but I wonder if it's really a good idea to use a style this dark ?

As long as the layout is approximately the same, maybe you can even make it possible to switch between a dark and a light skin.

Generally, the new look is nicer, I'm just not sure about the coloring.

By the way, I'm missing the voting option "Ignore the style, give us online images!" ;-)

I'd really love to get continuously switching LastFM artist images of currently playing track on the right part instead of my "boring" local album art images that are always the same for a specific album. I have this on my Touch through the Song Info plugin and Custom Clock applet and I really like it, makes it more interesting to look at the screen.

bluegaspode
2010-08-24, 08:53
80% voted for the new looks, this is a huge majority, so I'll start on it right now.
Buttons will be static (but localized) in the first version. Though not configurable this is still a step in the right direction and something we can built upon in future versions.
I'm not a friend of mixing in too much new unrelated features when the focus should be on the looks and playlists afterwards.

There won't be switchable looks as well (for now). I guess a light skin is not just changing colors but icons/buttons again and thus a lot of work.
And as said no page switching on the right. That's an error in the mockup.

Thanks to all for taking part in the poll, this gives important guidance, and I hope you like being involved this way in most of the next steps of SqueezePad!

dem
2010-08-24, 16:30
I love that look. I want to vote more than once.

bluegaspode
2010-08-25, 00:06
I love that look. I want to vote more than once.

:D
You don't need to anymore. Enough other people loved it too.
As said I expect it to be finished in about two weeks (makes end of next week) - then add another ten days that Apple needs to pretend its reviewing all this stuff.
So middle of September this design is yours ...

hvb83
2010-08-25, 00:10
It's great to see you are serious about listening to your users. We all realize you dedicate much of your spare-time in improving the software for us. Looking forward to the new look!

Chunkywizard
2010-08-25, 01:04
Just to say, so far I have been holding off buying SqueezePad, waiting for iPeng for iPad. If iPeng for iPad isn't out by the time the new UI comes along my money is yours!

CW

autopilot
2010-08-25, 02:07
I dont have an iPad, but that UI looks very very nice :)

I hope pippin comes up with something good, i've been finding the iPeng iPhone UI a little frustrating of late. It still rocks though, by far the best SB controller.

erland
2010-08-25, 09:30
Just to say, so far I have been holding off buying SqueezePad, waiting for iPeng for iPad. If iPeng for iPad isn't out by the time the new UI comes along my money is yours!

I would advice you to try SqueezePad, it's really worth a try, it's the best Squeezebox controller I've ever own. We are talking about the price of two burger meals or something similar (at least in Sweden) so it's really not that much money.

The advantage of getting multiple apps is also that you will encourage two developers instead of just one.

I hope pippin comes up with something good, i've been finding the iPeng iPhone UI a little frustrating of late. It still rocks though, by far the best SB controller.

iPeng definitely was my favorite but even if iPeng might be a bit more feature complete I have to say that SqueezePad on the iPad really beats it if you own an iPad, at least as long as you mainly use a single player at the time and don't use MySB.com.

Of course, I'm sure we will soon see some competition in this area but until then SqueezePad makes me really enjoy controlling my Squeezebox.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-08-25, 16:24
Honestly I think anyone interested in buying Squeezepad should.

The rapid development and incremental changes have been impressive
and the developer really cares about making changes that the buyers desire.

We are very fortunate that we have multiple top notch developers making remotes
for the iphone and ipad.

hvb83
2010-08-26, 01:06
I'll have to agree with the posters above. Squeezepad is progressing in a rapid way and the author cares about listening to his customers and developing towards their requests. I must admit I was a bit sceptical before I bought it, but it's working more than ok. Now that the interface is being sexed-up, I feel it will become a serious competitor to a future release of iPeng HD.

And as said above, we're talking about pocket-change here. These guys are devoting their precious time in order for us to have a way better way of controlling our Squeezeboxes. Buy both of them and see which one you like best in the end. It could be until christmas before iPeng HD is released. In the mean time you've enjoyed controlling your system with iPad. By doing so you'll do the whole community a favour, as both authors will give their best in outclassing the competition.

Chunkywizard
2010-08-26, 01:43
Good points Guys. I have purchased Squeezepad! I am sure I will be back with some questions soon,

CW

Line
2010-08-26, 02:32
This is exactly what I've been looking for, bluegaspode please incorporate that page swiping to the album art for playlist and player management. Well, that would be a lot like iPeng... hmm.

Pippin seems to be keen on the idea but I understand if you aren't down to encroach on that design.

Regardless, keep up the good work! I've invested in both products and would do so again, I use them hourly.

Oh yes, and shuffle / repeat buttons wouldn't hurt either =]

bluegaspode
2010-08-26, 04:28
This is exactly what I've been looking for, bluegaspode please incorporate that page swiping to the album art for playlist and player management. Well, that would be a lot like iPeng... hmm.
I'm stubborn about this one :D ... no swiping on the cover art.

My wife doesn't like that in iPeng so won't happen in SqueezePad regardless of whether the whole other world is using this concept *g*.

Anyway - there will be playlists and better player management even without swiping.

Oh yes, and shuffle / repeat buttons wouldn't hurt either
I had a short informal poll on the other thread about that some time ago.
Most people said they hardly change those settings at all ... and for the rare times they needed it, it was good enough to have those options in the Settings menu (where you can change shuffle/repeat also with the current version of SqueezePad).
So - if you use it often that you think having direct buttons are needed than at least I'd like to know your usage pattern.

ulvatne
2010-08-26, 08:04
Good work on the latest version, and indeed i am looking forward to your new design. Right decision to do that first.
By now (after new design has been implemented) I have three major wishes that I thinking would be minor for you to do:
- rename 'The current playlist' to 'Playing now'
- Have playing access on main page
- On Playing Now list, mark which song is playing.

Juliozaffo
2010-08-26, 08:44
Love the new look! Way to go on that. Can't wait to see how the application develops in the future. It's great that you added the shortcuts to artists, albums and genres on the main screen. My only request would be that you add a "new music" button as well since I use that 90% of the time. Once the advanced playlist management is added, SqueezePad will fulfill almost 100% of my needs. To get to 100% I'd just need that wake-on-lan feature added and some way to hibernate my server easier :). Just me being greedy. Keep up the great work!

Chunkywizard
2010-08-26, 09:08
Good work on the latest version, and indeed i am looking forward to your new design. Right decision to do that first.
By now (after new design has been implemented) I have three major wishes that I thinking would be minor for you to do:
- rename 'The current playlist' to 'Playing now'
- Have playing access on main page
- On Playing Now list, mark which song is playing.

Really minor point, but whatever you call 'The current playlist' can you capitalise the beginning of each word to match everything else in the My Music menu?

Thanks!

CW

bluegaspode
2010-08-26, 09:21
Really minor point, but whatever you call 'The current playlist' can you capitalise the beginning of each word to match everything else in the My Music menu?
The wording is sent from the SB-Server (to have it localized) and I couldn't find a better string :(

Anyway - you can help yourself here !
In the root-folder of your server there is a 'strings.txt'.
Search for 'CURRENT_PLAYLIST' in there and change the wording in the line
EN The current playlist
to whatever you like. Guess you need to restart the server afterwards.

ulvatne
2010-08-26, 14:07
The wording is sent from the SB-Server (to have it localized) and I couldn't find a better string :(

Anyway - you can help yourself here !
In the root-folder of your server there is a 'strings.txt'.
Search for 'CURRENT_PLAYLIST' in there and change the wording in the line
EN The current playlist
to whatever you like. Guess you need to restart the server afterwards.

Have a mac for my sb server, cant`t find the strings.txt file. Any advice where to find it?

bluegaspode
2010-08-26, 15:41
I'm afraid I don't know the file-layout of the SB-Server-Installation on Macs :(
But I'm sure this file exists there too somewhere ...

Line
2010-08-26, 16:50
I am preparing a mix for a house party and set the server to play in shuffle. The iPad will be just sitting on a table for others to view and perhaps mess around with. So I was thinking the shuffle and repeat buttons would be useful.

But that also brings up another point, is there a way a party mode could be implemented that allows people limited functionality unless they input a password? So people aren't fooling around and modifying/deleting playlists or wreaking other havoc? That could be held for a much later release though, no rush.

Oh, just checked your other thread, screensaver password. Sounds good!

RBM
2010-08-27, 03:29
Have a mac for my sb server, cant`t find the strings.txt file. Any advice where to find it?

On the Mac, it's found here:

- Browse to /Library/PreferencePanes
- Right-click 'Squeezebox.prefPane' > choose 'Show Package Contents'
- 'strings.txt' is in the 'server' folder, found in the 'Contents' folder

ulvatne
2010-08-27, 06:36
On the Mac, it's found here:

- Browse to /Library/PreferencePanes
- Right-click 'Squeezebox.prefPane' > choose 'Show Package Contents'
- 'strings.txt' is in the 'server' folder, found in the 'Contents' folder

Great, thanks. Worked perfectly. As I fiddled on the strings.txt, I suddenly realized that it would be nice to have the ability to switch languages on the SqueezePad, or at least have Squeezepad use the preferred language set on SB server. Would be nice since SB guys have supported my native norwegian for such a long time.

bluegaspode
2010-08-27, 15:41
Great, thanks. Worked perfectly. As I fiddled on the strings.txt, I suddenly realized that it would be nice to have the ability to switch languages on the SqueezePad, or at least have Squeezepad use the preferred language set on SB server. Would be nice since SB guys have supported my native norwegian for such a long time.

Um.
SqueezePad should be respecting your favourite language that is configured on the iPad (iPad->Settings->General->Language). I have everything perfectly localized to German here.

I guess you can't configure Norwegian there ?
Didn't think about that the iPad wouldn't let you configure all languages supported by SB-Server.
I'll be providing a menu to select a language (or as proposed try to find out if the server tells me the favourite language).
That's very easy to do - thanks for the hint !

ulvatne
2010-08-28, 00:33
Um.
SqueezePad should be respecting your favourite language that is configured on the iPad (iPad->Settings->General->Language). I have everything perfectly localized to German here.

I guess you can't configure Norwegian there ?
Didn't think about that the iPad wouldn't let you configure all languages supported by SB-Server.
I'll be providing a menu to select a language (or as proposed try to find out if the server tells me the favourite language).
That's very easy to do - thanks for the hint !

Of course, the iPad is still not available in Norway (only mr Jobs knows when) and Norwegian is not on the list in settings. IPad launch in Norway will put this issue right, but it would still be fine that the Default SqueezePad language for the menus was the same language that was set on the server software, and then changeable via the controller ( i.e Squeezepad)

Claas
2010-08-30, 04:35
A search field would be nice. Could be integrated at the bottom of the buttons or perhaps between the playername and the volume-slider.

Claas
2010-08-30, 04:46
Another one: Direct access to shuffle and repeat please.
It's more than annoying that a direct tab on a song shuffles the album when shuffle is activated. I know that holding down and choosing "play" directly plays th song, but I want to tab, not hold :-)
Therefore a direct acces to deactivating shuffle would be very helpful. Could be integrated at the rewind/play/forward section?

Claas

jimbo_l
2010-08-30, 10:38
I'd really like the Artist->Album sort method to be by year; currently it seems to be alphabetical. There's a sort option buried in the menus somewhere (don't have the Squeezepad in front of me), but it doesn't seem to use that.

Apart from that I love SqueezePad. Thanks for all your efforts :-)

bluegaspode
2010-08-30, 12:08
I'd really like the Artist->Album sort method to be by year; currently it seems to be alphabetical. There's a sort option buried in the menus somewhere (don't have the Squeezepad in front of me), but it doesn't seem to use that.

Apart from that I love SqueezePad. Thanks for all your efforts :-)

The available options for 'Album Sort Method' are:
'Album', 'Artist, Year, Album' and 'Artist Album'.

These options come from the Squeezebox-Server, nothing I invented myself ;)

jimbo_l
2010-08-30, 13:18
The available options for 'Album Sort Method' are:
'Album', 'Artist, Year, Album' and 'Artist Album'.

These options come from the Squeezebox-Server, nothing I invented myself ;)

Ah yes - I think I was getting confused with the web interface which allows you to sort on 'Year, Artist, Album' etc when in Home > Artists. It's a shame SB-Server doesn't allow sorting in that way too.

adyc
2010-09-03, 02:37
Why does it not available in Hong Kong itune store?

bluegaspode
2010-09-03, 03:29
My stats claim that I have two sales of SqueezePad in Hong Kong.
So I wouldn't know why it doesn't appear for you in the store :(

To all people waiting for the new look: its quite finished now - I think I can submit it to Apple on Monday.
And of course - it really looks awesome when you use it ... much much better than before - don't know how I could ever live without it!

ulvatne
2010-09-03, 04:59
can submit it to Apple on Monday.
And of course - it really looks awesome when you use it ... much much better than before - don't know how I could ever live without it!

Great, can't wait to try it. When we're talking graphics - why not give the app icon an overhaul as well?

Chunkywizard
2010-09-03, 05:12
+1. Any budding icon designers out there?

CW

bluegaspode
2010-09-03, 05:23
Great, can't wait to try it. When we're talking graphics - why not give the app icon an overhaul as well?

hush hush ...
surprise, surprise ...

panos_k75
2010-09-04, 04:59
why people insist on the small cover browse options? Is there a performance reason? I would imagine with the iPad's large screen estate difference browsing experiences would crop out, but all current implementations remind me existing iphone GUIs.

bluegaspode
2010-09-04, 15:50
why people insist on the small cover browse options? Is there a performance reason?
If you look how long it takes to download even the small coverart - how long do you think it will take to download big coverarts (in a way that could be browsed fast).
Yes - coverart might be cached -but how far will you go regarding the memory of the iPad ?

mzpost
2010-09-12, 07:22
Fantastic!. In my review on the app store i mentioned that whilst this is a fantastic app the look of it left me a little bit.....well a little bit cold. The new look looks fantastic and I'll certainly be updating my review on the app store once it's sitting happily on my Ipad.

Personally I'd say the App is a must for anyone with an Ipad and some SB.

bluegaspode
2010-09-12, 09:39
Fantastic!. In my review on the app store i mentioned that whilst this is a fantastic app the look of it left me a little bit.....well a little bit cold. The new look looks fantastic and I'll certainly be updating my review on the app store once it's sitting happily on my Ipad.

Personally I'd say the App is a must for anyone with an Ipad and some SB.

I pushed the update last week on monday evening to Apple. So given the common review time I guess this week we will see the update on the AppStore :D
On the top of my posting you can already see a glimpse of the new App-Icon ...

athurart09
2010-09-13, 02:28
I'm afraid I don't know the file-layout of the SB-Server-Installation on Macs

bluegaspode
2010-09-13, 09:59
I'm afraid I don't know the file-layout of the SB-Server-Installation on Macs

Why would you need to know it ?
If its because you want to change the strings for 'the current playlist' than look here - hope this helps: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=572454

hvb83
2010-09-14, 00:23
Very curious about the new looks Bluegaspode!

starcat
2010-09-29, 11:59
Great app. Would like in that order
- Caching of images on the local iPad device for faster display and scrolling
- Allow for display of each Playlist, Artist, Genres views in thumbnail mode and not only lists, tapping on a cover pops up a windows with all tracks in that album.
- Same fontsize for all items in a list, longer one may scroll
- TrackStat integration
- Playing Now button found on the mainpage
- Each time the app restarts, show the last screen it was on

starcat
2010-09-29, 13:36
I'm stubborn about this one :D ... no swiping on the cover art.

Second this, absolutely not on the cover art. This is cover ART.

However, I would make the cover art box not a rectangle but slightly taller so that a rectangular cover fits in the top part of it and there is an added rectangular space below for the three lines text showing album, artist and track name. This will also allow for slightly more space for longer names in the left pane!