PDA

View Full Version : Stream music over internet? (classic)

dandirk
2010-08-19, 19:57
OK I have a classic squeezebox, pretty sure it is the version before the duet.

I used to be able to login to the squeezeserver from the internet (using dns, port forwarding etc) and start the old java client from any computer on the internet.

About a year back I tried to update the software and found the java player was no longer included. I tried some of the 3rd party software players, like softsqueeze and squeeze play but could never get them working right. I couldn't find a way to enter a server address I think (Cause it was looking for a local media server???)

Is there a way to stream music across the internet? I can easily handle the internet dns, port forwarding etc.

Have softqueeze and squeeze play improved a whole lot (I would hope so...), to allow this?

This was probably the best feature my girlfriend and I liked, streaming our music at work from home without having the load/reload ipods etc...

Thanks for the help...

oh... I read that the new touch includes squeezecenter, do you think this would work? Would love to get the server software off my htpc...

lrossouw
2010-08-19, 21:00
I've used squeezeplay to do this. I don't do this regularly but once was on an extended business trip and figured out how to enjoy some music in the evenings.

Key problem is squeezeplay doesn't allow you to enter the name of the server. You have to reference it by IP. Thus if your home IP changes you'd need to change this. You also need port 9000 and the other one open. I haven't tested this recently but it didn't work with password protection then.

Once you have it working squeezeplay is far more convenient to navigate and use compared to softsqueeze. You can still find softsqueeze somewhere and it should still work.

Other points:
- You probably need to turn on bitrate limiting for the remote player if you have flacs.
- You set up the IP under remote libraries which should be under settings somewhere.

bpa
2010-08-19, 23:56
I used to be able to login to the squeezeserver from the internet (using dns, port forwarding etc) and start the old java client from any computer on the internet.

About a year back I tried to update the software and found the java player was no longer included. I tried some of the 3rd party software players, like softsqueeze and squeeze play but could never get them working right. I couldn't find a way to enter a server address I think (Cause it was looking for a local media server???)

Softsqueeze was the original Java client and it hasn't changed since the time you had it working - all the menus and functionality are the same. As Softsqueeze is no longer bundled in with SBS, it had to be re-packaged as a plugin but once installed it is the same as the originally bundled Softsqueeze.

You need to go into the Softsqueeze preference to define the IP address of the server you wish to use.

bernt
2010-08-20, 01:17
Moose, squeezeslave and Neorouter.