PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for powered speakers with classic

tusken
2010-08-18, 04:27
Hi all
I have just purchased a classic on ebay, which is my third sb (to go with 1 touch and 1 classic) - and this one I plan to use upstairs with some powered speakers. the other two downstairs have amps but id rather avoid that option upstairs.

Can anyone recommend some good mains powered speakers for around the 60 to 120 mark? ive never considered powered speakers before so this are is completely new to me. Im not too concerned about amazing quality as i can get that from downstairs - i just want something thats decent and a reasonable sound for the price. im in the uk. any links would be much appreciated.

Ps i was going to get a boom but when i saw a new classic for 60 delivered i decided to go this route instead

garym
2010-08-18, 04:36
Hi all
I have just purchased a classic on ebay, which is my third sb (to go with 1 touch and 1 classic) - and this one I plan to use upstairs with some powered speakers. the other two downstairs have amps but id rather avoid that option upstairs.

Can anyone recommend some good mains powered speakers for around the 60 to 120 mark? ive never considered powered speakers before so this are is completely new to me. Im not too concerned about amazing quality as i can get that from downstairs - i just want something thats decent and a reasonable sound for the price. im in the uk. any links would be much appreciated.

Ps i was going to get a boom but when i saw a new classic for 60 delivered i decided to go this route instead

the audioengine A5's have lots of good comments. I bought a set for use in a weekend cabin and they have a nice sound. They also make a set of A2's that are much smaller. I was so impressed with the A5's, that I've just ordered a set of the A2's to use with my work desktop computer.

carib
2010-08-18, 04:37
Hi, I really don't know their availability in the UK but I recently bought a pair of the M-Audio AV30 for my Squeezebox Radio and they work fantastic. The M-Audio AV40 are MUCH better and are only a few dollars more.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV30.html

toby10
2010-08-18, 05:44
I second the A5 recommendation, they sound great.
But I'm not sure they will meet your budget criteria at $349 US MSRP.
Though they are regularly discounted to $299, and sometimes you can catch a deal for $249.

bpa
2010-08-18, 06:38
The Acoustic Energy Aego-M are quite good - they are a 2.1 system which may not be what you want. They are at the upper end of the budget but can be found for about 120

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Energy-AE26-06B-active-speaker/dp/B000MN96T6

Edit:

Cheaper if you want white !!
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-001-AE&groupid=702&catid=22&subcat=

morsejeff
2010-08-18, 07:33
I have the A5's as well and they are a great speaker. My only complaint is that they are pretty accurate. What I mean is, they don't exaggerate any frequencies. I wish the A5's had a little more bass and a little less midrange, but as far as clarity and vocals, they are fantastic.

menno
2010-08-18, 07:34
I'm also a happy user of the AudioEngine A5's.

I use them in the bedroom. They are a bit more pricey than your budget though, so you would need to look at the smaller A2's instead.

The A5's sound great. My only complaint with them is that after it has switched to standby due to no activity, sometimes I can hear a very slight humming noise. But not sure whether that is due to some interference on my power circuit or what.

Cheers,
Menno

iPhone
2010-08-18, 09:27
Hi all

I have a pair of Audio Engine A5s so I can highly recommend the little brother A2s. My big questions for you is what is acceptable. When it comes to powered speakers, they fall into two groups for me.

First group is I can't put what I would like in a regular speaker here for whatever reason so I'm going with powered speakers. This group must be a very good speaker because I will be listening for the pleasure of listening like I would with regular floor standing speakers so they have to be as close as I can to that without breaking the bank. Like AE A5s or ADAM A5 or A7 powered speakers.

The second group is for places that just need background music. Music so there just isn't silence. As far as I'm concern quality of speaker or quality of sound isn't that important so a $30 pair of Creative Labs 2.1 powered computer speakers will work. The real issue here is can I get by with what be less then a Boom or SB Radio, if not I should be looking at them, and if its above them, then I am back to group 1. So the Player has to be acquired on the cheap or a left over unit that is not in service because for me it doesn't make sense to put $25 or even $100 speakers with a $200 to $300 player. And speaking of $25 speakers, if its just for background, where is the sense in paying more then $25? There isn't that much difference between $25 and $100 speakers especially when it is just being used for background.

So IMHO it boils down to going cheap for just background or anything less then a Boom would be used for IE in Group 2 don't send more on powered speakers then the price of a Boom minus the price you paid for the used Classic then divided by two. If your spending more then that, you should buy a Boom or you are really in Group 1 and should just buy Audio Engine A2 or A5s or ADAM A5 or A7 Speakers. Again its how I look at it. YMMV.

pablolie
2010-08-18, 10:39
I own both the A5 and the Aego M, and think they represent excellent value.

2 years ago I had to move for over a year to a remote location for work. I could not take my full blown home system with me, but the A5s and a SB3 kept me listening music. Highly recommended.

garym
2010-08-18, 10:42
The A5's sound great. My only complaint with them is that after it has switched to standby due to no activity, sometimes I can hear a very slight humming noise. But not sure whether that is due to some interference on my power circuit or what.

I haven't heard this, and I've even turned the speaker volume all the way UP while the speakers are "off" (in standby). For me there is total silence.

I wish the A5's had a little more bass and a little less midrange, but as far as clarity and vocals, they are fantastic.

I'd say I wish they had a little less bass. Then again, in my setup, they are stuck in a bookcase cabinet (no other choices) so the bass does get a bit emphasized.

socistep
2010-08-18, 10:47
not been mentioned on the thread so far but I have a pair of Harmon Kardon soundsticks hooked up to SB touch, this is the main speakers in my living room and have been impressed with the sound however don't know how they compare to the Audioengine speakers.

One minor irritant I have with them is that they don't have a remote control for volume but they were probably designed more for being on a desk

bhaagensen
2010-08-18, 11:09
One minor irritant I have with them is that they don't have a remote control for volume but they were probably designed more for being on a desk

Nor do the AE's - if that is an issue. Normally, the Squeezebox's volume control should suffice, I guess.

garym
2010-08-18, 11:25
Nor do the AE's - if that is an issue. Normally, the Squeezebox's volume control should suffice, I guess.

agree, I use the TOUCH volume control (via the touch, my iPENG, or Squeezeplay running on my laptop). I never actually touch the AE volume control (although it is nice that it is on the FRONT rather than rear of the speaker).

carib
2010-08-18, 12:18
Can anyone recommend some good mains powered speakers for around the 60 to 120 mark?

Then again, there is always the snob factor to consider.

Druboo
2010-08-18, 14:36
Another vote for M-Audio here.
Have a pair of BX5a's connected to an SB3 in my office, that I picked up brand spanking off the Bay for just over 100. Very impressed.
Amazon UK currently have the AV40 for 82 delivered.

Dogberry2
2010-08-20, 08:48
Just to give another option (among all the A-5 recommendations), I'd also suggest the Logitech Z-2300 line. I'm not saying they're as good as the A-5s, but at less than half the price, they do provide great sound for the cost. No idea about their availability outside the U.S., but they're worth looking into. Currently available for around $120 US. I have a set in my family room, and they get plenty loud, with more than enough bass.

cphan
2010-08-25, 19:11
I'll add the M1 Active to the list. I have the Logitech Z-2300 and the M1 kicks its ass. I've also looked at the A5 and have added it to my wish list.